JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speaking as an employer, and a signatur with Local 456 and 131 of the Carpenters & Joiners, in Washington State, there are a number of ways to change working conditions without bargaining. One would be to lay off everyone who chose not to sign.

Washington is an at will state. I don't need a reason to fire anyone. I can fire them because I have a headache and they talked too loud. Or I can just fire them, without a reason. Then I can run through the out of work list until I find a crew I like. (Or a crew who signs.)

So there's bargaining, and there's bargaining. I know of a sub-contractor who has all of his crews "volunteer" fifty cents an hour to United Way. No donation, no job. He builds crypts in cemeteries. As construction jobs go, it's a good one. Year in, year out, at the outside scale. He doesn't have a problem getting crews to donate to his pet cause.

In this instance, though, it would be a lot easier to get one signature from a business agent than a signature from everyone on a crew. And given the other conditions that different jobs have imposed, I'd bet I could get his signature with a phone call.

But you're right about one thing-- it doesn't help to spread wacky internet rumors about employment law.

This is all hypothetical-- I wouldn't care if someone showed up on one of my jobsites with a gun, and I doubt my crews would either notice or care.

So you're right-- we can't change your working conditions unless you let us, or your business agent signs.

We can only change your working conditions if you want to keep your job.

The OP is from Oregon and so am I. I work in a field and under a CBA that would not allow such things that you speak of. It's too bad that we still have employers that misbehave and treat their employees with such disrespect and disregard such as the examples that you noted.

I think some folks are over reacting. I see Uncle Si in a camo shirt and he's printing I am not gonna say something. I see something bigger like an Sbr or an Ak, well that's carrying personal safety a bit much unless you are in Detroit, Chicago, DC, Baltimore or any of the other lovely gun free garden spots the lib shave brought to us. So, in that case I might notify some one in authority and or keep a sharp eye on that bubba, or Abdul. I think we now live in an age where as individuals we really need to pay attention to our surroundings. There are bad people and they want us, our kids and our wives dead. There are the whack jobs like the NAvy yard shooter. Just try to be aware in public, don't cry wolf all the time but don't sneer and walk away.loll someone else"s problem.
Btw, no frickin 'way that yo yo should have gotten in with a gym bag. How about less money to Egypt and a few thousand more metal detectors for our government buildings?

Brutus out

?.... I can fire them because I have a headache and they talked too loud. Or I can just fire them, without a reason......

After the boss made a mountain out of a Mole Hill complaint towards me... After I had saved the Companies Reputation, by fixing Factory Level Problems, with the company getting Paid, BY the factory, for them to supply my labor (at five times the hourly rate I was paid)...

I choose to scrimp, save all OT pay, and take my contractor's test, Passed it with great scores.

He did it again, BS complaint...And at that point, I gave a polite, normal acceptable, Two Weeks Notice.

His reply was: you are fired. Go Remove YOUR personal tools from the Van you drive.

He came out, to watch,and make sure I did not take a single one of his Krap Quality. Tools.

After eighteen months, I had increased Productivity of the position I took over, by 140% Minimum. By KNOWING my skills and the job's needs....

I was the ONLY person in the company, (manufactured homes) that could Safely & Accurately STAND and Set a Patio Sliding Glass Door, ALONE. Every other SGD stood, used Two, or even Three employees.... And then, I would envaribably CHECK its accuracy, for Plumb & Vertical.... They did not know the difference!!!!!

To ensure My Quality of work, I purchased my own $400.00 "chop saw" a Freud, as it was for trim work, an 80 tooth Five 1/2 inch blade...

Why? Because The Van's saw, a typical "Makita 10" chop saw", would be borrowed, by the set up crew, to cut concrete covered "concrete form lumber"

WITHOUT even thinking about the high quality Carbide Trim cutting Blade installed on it.... No teeth left, after their stupidity, done, because their chop saw had....

.... A bad blade on it !!!!! No one borrowed My Freud, they KNEW better.

I bought my own air guns, a 22 guage for light trim, an 18 guage for doors that needed a Plumb and Vertical....

I used the Company hoses, and compressor. All My hand tools, were MINE, Quality TOOLS provides QUALITY work .... If your Quality Oriented.

Treat your employees however you want... But you should Learn, to own your own issues. head aches my donkey.

philip,
In the BoonDocks, I cut to 1/32 inch accuracy, because I am my boss, and I Love the employee.

I like that people think when you want to restrict one right in a public store, it's OK because it is "private property". On the other hand, if someone refuses to bake a gay cake or doesn't allows blacks in, their "private property" is now a public place where ALL(well, most) rights must be allowed.

It's beautiful to see that Lefty brainwashing is in fact working. Even gun owners know that it isn't REALLY a right, just a privilege. Rights, like the right to a gay cake, need to be protected in a PUBLIC store. Your "privileges" don't exist on PRIVATE property. I guess you do get to have it both ways, as long as you are oly spitting in the face of Liberty. We can't have any of that spitting in the face of vile, disgusting behavior in Herr Fuhrer's(Oh no! Will Godwin negate my statement for calling a Nazi a Nazi?) New America.

It's also important to note that, like it or not, Oregon is an At Will state as well and a CBA only applies to the given business or union in the CBA. The fact of the matter is, when you "let someone go"(I have hired and fired hundred of people. I am not pulling this fro my ***.), you don't give a reason . When they ask, you give them no reason and wish them the best. Even if you have a perfectly valid reason, you protect yourself by simply letting them go. You are only accountable if you give a reason and that reason violates someone's civil rights. You actually can fire someone for being a woman. You simply fire them. If and when a lawyer contacts you, you are only guilty of discrimination if you have communicated that your reason was because she was a woman. You are not at all required to state exactly why someone was terminated and in a management position, you are far better off not stating a reason. The only people that believe you need to tell someone why they were let go because it is "the right thing to do" are the ones who risk nothing by demanding such. You know that whole "anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law" thing? It isn't just what you say to the cops that can sink you.

The reason the gay community (and the civil rights campaign before them) has lead such a long, hard fight is because becoming a protected class is an extremely significant milestone, and carries with it enormous power.

First, the two topics ~Are Not~ Related. At All.

The first is about creating the impression, that Wrong is correct.

Civil Rights were, & Are about the equal treatment of mankind, regardless of skin color. Notice: I did not use the word human kind I used the Political Incorrect term, "mankind".

Strongly political motivated feminists, would not even accept ~human kind~ because of the "m, a, n" in the word human. Those thoughts, that Thinking Process is not

Civil Rights, never has been, Never Will Be about my sentence, above this one.

Those concepts are about One Thing ONLY. The political over throw, of the values that our Country was based Upon.period.End Of Sentence. No further discussion needed.

You can either believe that, or choose to Not Believe that. But the Cold Hard Facts are there.

And now, for the ~"Kicker" Statement~ all one has to do to proove out what I wrote is VALID, is read the OLD Communist Party USA Agenda. And every single thing is in that, PLUS MORE.

But I am ~only~ replying to the above statement....

philip
In the BoonDocks, Class covering Political Over Throw of the United States, finished, class do some thinking, and if you Want me to validate the above, I will. If you want to argue about it, ARGUE, I may, or may not answer, depends on...

How the wind is blowing, or if its raining in Kansas, or... You get the idea....

Id point out the absurdity in the fact that, if a man or men were heart set on a rampage.. Going through the "chain of command" and reporting it does absolutely nothing.

This hits the nail on the head. I can see the supervisors handing out radios and saying "hey, if you see a madman with a gun, call it in!" to help lock-down/evacuate an area...however, as mentioned earlier, I also feel as if this is just a "knee-jerk" reaction to the recent mall shooting in Kenya.

Rather than come up with an actual active shooter plan (which may very well save lives), they want people to basically treat anyone with a pistol as if they're a witch in Salem or a communist in the 60's.

"Charlie spotted, 12 o'clock!"

What employers need to dissern with their employees is that there is a huge difference between a guy walking in with a rifle strapped to his chest and a gas mask on- to a guy pushing a stroller with a pistol strapped to his hip. Profiling firearm owners as potential murderers/terrorists is not the answer. Obviously property rights prevail for such instances, but that is why we deal with CONCEALED CARRY.

Grunwald, that is just plain mischivious!!!

I like that kind of thinking, and besides, you brought us back on topic!!!!

Two Thumbs Up !!!!!!

philip,
Has to go feed his Kitty, Miss Cleo, signing off for awhile, but still in the BoonDocks, I hope I can Dry out my Canoe, I had an accident you see, at Crater lake. I tipped over, and lost my only Gunnnnn a single shot 22, and that I used just once a year, to make sure it still worked!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top