JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always heard that when cleaning a rifle bore, one is supposed to go in the direction of bullet travel only, yet in several of my owners manuals, one being Barrett, the instructions essentially call for "scrubbing" the bore. I suppose my question is: why would this matter at all? The brushes are either a mop, made from copper/brass wire or even just nylon bristles. None of which are harder than steel and certainly not moving at a significant velocity. Does anyone have input? Is this just another Wife's tale?

With muzzle loaders...you have to clean from the muzzle end towards the breech...so I use a bore brush or patch that way.

Now I understand that a muzzle loader shooting either round ball or a conical is a bit different than a modern cartridge firing firearm....but I often clean my modern guns the same way.

I do take care that I don't mar the crown of the muzzle with either type of firearm.
The old fashioned steel rod cleaning rods that used to be popular , could mar the crown or damage the rifling , if care wasn't taken.
Andy

I'm not sure it really, really matters. I'm a common sense kind of guy and I see it the same as you do. The brushes are softer than the barrel steel. But, I figure hard core , long range, competition shooters are pretty anal about that kind of stuff. Then you have guns you can't clean from breach to muzzle, like the Garand and many semi auto rifles. Taking the time to put a rod down the bore and screwing the bush on and pulling it through, rinse repeat, is going to be a real PIA. I scrub my barrels. Hand gun and rifle.

Last Edited:
Doesn't matter. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is probably trying to sell a cleaning product or brainwashed by the internet.

I don't think it matters, the big thing would be reversing bristle direction in the bore, as others said, it's softer than the bore material, and if you're not reversing direction whilst inside the bore, it's not going to do anything in either direction.

Good to know I don't need to be as concerned with it as I was always lead to believe and that my reasoning as to why not is sound. Thanks for the input, guys!

I have an M14 and i have to clean from the muzzle to the breach. I do have an Otis cleaning kit which I can clean from the breech to the muzzle. I have an plastic solvent plug that goes into the breach and I have a carbon fiber rod which I use most of the time. I bought the cleaning kit from Dewey. The only thing was I had to order the service rifle solvent port from Brownells and also had to order some grease. I use 12 gauge shotgun patches cut up to clean my M14.

https://deweyrods.com/product/complete-m1a-cleaning-kit/

https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...des/service-rifle-solvent-port-prod25930.aspx

I did buy an original M14 buttstock cleaning kit as well. I put into the buttstock but have not used it yet and I have not put any solvent and grease in the plastic container either.

I make my own resin filled double ended composite rods with a unmounted "T" push handle. Even the rod only goes one direction. PEX pipe with a solvent port as a bore guide, squeeze type wash bottles for solvents, and a small parts wash can with a strainer for the patches and drips. I put the rifle in a maintenance cradle with the muzzle pointed about 15 degrees down and I can clean 3-4 rifles in the time it used to take to do one. I do clean a lot of ARs though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top