JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
DSC06421.jpg
The heck with it...
I'm just gonna stick with my spear...:eek::p:D
( Yep pun intended ! :D )
Andy

We actually have one for our archery demonstrations along with our antique guns.
The atlatl ( reconstruction ) has two points , one we made for throwing and one that is a ancient stone point for show and tell.
Andy

Some guy on the Internet says .45acp is dead.
Some other guy on the Internet (me) calls BS.
Some third guy on the Internet (you) will never get back the time you just wasted reading this thread. You're welcome.

Larger diameter transfers more energy quicker. I get e=mc squared and using the constant for foot pounds. I use it with my Chrony to find ft lbs. But it doesn't mean smaller and higher velocity is always best for the intended game.

Ok, I know this is going get me some hate posts, but I am doing it anyway in spite of being labeled an anal attentive twit at the end of all this:

Technically the formula is F=ma where F is the force delivered by the object, m is mass, and a is acceleration . Acceleration is the second derivative of position and velocity is the first derivative of position. So mass x velocity gives momentum, not force.

All of this to say, I will take that 230 grain 45 acp at 1100 fps over a 9mm any day of the week...

Let the hate posts begin, and oh yeah...now it's probably an hour and a half of your life you will never get back reading this thread :p:rolleyes:

Ok, I know this is going get me some hate posts, but I am doing it anyway in spite of being labeled an anal attentive twit at the end of all this:

Technically the formula is F=ma where F is the force delivered by the object, m is mass, and a is acceleration . Acceleration is the second derivative of position and velocity is the first derivative of position. So mass x velocity gives momentum, not force.

All of this to say, I will take that 230 grain 45 acp at 1100 fps over a 9mm any day of the week...

Let the hate posts begin, and oh yeah...now it's probably an hour and a half of your life you will never get back reading this thread :p:rolleyes:

mass in grains x velocity x velocity / 450240 = ft lbs

No problem :) That's why I stated the constant. . The 450240.

Ah... I didn't see that post or constant.

Bottom line for me is throwing as much mass in lead down range at as high of a muzzle velocity as possible = bad guy gets knocked down and doesn't get up.... which is not mathematically a .380 or a 9mm.... :D

I like 1911, reliable, not hard to conceal, makes a big noise. So it's an old round, with a couple of exceptions most are pretty dang old. Heck the lead in your bullets is a couple of billion years old, sorry creationists. Capacity only matters to the insecure, accuracy, training, practice, and trigger discipline, matter more. Manufacturers press the "what if" scenarios pretty hard, to feed that insecurity and get us to buy rehashed reworked designs from 100 years ago. Nothing really new h as come along in a long long time. Honestly, other than materials and capacity, most of the firearms out there borrow liberally from John Moses Browning, the most prodigious gun inventor to ever come along. He designed the 1911 to be a reliable service pistol, and it has been in service in one capacity or another ever since.

I like it, because it's accurate, reliable and I am comfortable with it, I need no other reason.

I am going to start carrying band aids and Bactine, just in case I do shoot somebody.

Funny, the 45 worked for a long time, I wonder what made it stop working?

Last Edited:
For years, decades, the Colt 1911 .45acp was the standard I applied on all defensive pistols, while the .357 was the revolver of choice. Now Ive more or less switched to the :pGlock 21, while maintaining the .357 in a Smith M28 Highway Patrolman.. There are others of course but these are my strap-ons...

Last Edited:
I think he later clarifies that the 45 ACP isn't a bad round, but it isn't the best round at anything in particular. Thus why would someone choose it for self-defense? I can see the logic in the argument.

YET we're starting to get into territory where people react emotionally about their caliber choice.

Seeing someone's logic doesn't mean his opinion is infallible, or that you are required to agree with him. He's pretty clearly against it BECAUSE there are debatable advantages over it. As far as the emotional responses, that's ALL his fault. He starts the video saying people who disagree with him have their depends in a twist, masturbate to cats on the internet, and make questionable clothing choices. Not a thing out of his mouth after personal attacks like that come from a unbiased viewpoint.

This is a non-issue, and a null argument. You could make the same argument about the cars that people drive, and we'd be in the same position. Leave people to their own choices. It's none of your business what caliber I carry, and it sure as hell isn't any of his.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top