JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Couldn't get past the "they got their depends in a twist" part. You want to have a discussion? Don't start with a personal attack, or insult.

Beyond the clickbaity title this is all nonsense. I stopped subscribing to just about every gun channel on youtube because I have no interest in living in an echo chamber. Is the .45acp old? Yes. Does it do what it was designed to do? Yes. Beyond that it's splitting hairs, and D measuring contest.

He wanted controversy because that generates views. Did he bring anything new to light? I don't know because his videos are intolerable. "Gun guys" on youtube are far too ego centrical.

I couldn't agree more!

I heard that rude dude and listened to his arguable rhetoric once before.
All I needed to know about him, and from him.
Weeding the garden and getting a bee sting would be considerably more worth while.

I wish I could say the penetration of the 9mm is significantly better since I used to think that was the case and I hate being wrong...

But they're similar for the most part.

Now that probably has a lot to do with what you're trying to penetrate. I remember when body armor was getting going for LEO's. They had those letter designations. The 9mm was the one that some of the lower rated vests could not reliably stop. Speed vs smaller diameter and of course in the FMJ load. Even now the IIA vests used to not be rated to stop .22WMR when it was coming out of a rifle which kind of shocked me when I read it. Since they were talking lead bullets. The manufacturers were saying even lead that small going that fast could defeat the lower end vests. Not sure if they have improved them now days to fix this or not. When I bought my last vest the place I buy from was not even offering the IIA any more

SALES! Every "New" fangled thing to come along in the last 100+ years is not much in the "Improved" dept as many would want or believe! I think Bullet technology has done more then any thing else to make this debate more and more "Favorable" toward a certain size then any thing else. Is the .45 APC obsolete, Hell no, it has killed a whole lot of people for a lot more years then any one on here still breathing, and I suspect it will continue to kill as efficiently and effectively as it always has! Lets not even bring the beloved 1911 into this discussion, it was simply the first design to take this "New" round in a reliable semi auto platform and have success with it! To bash any ones choice of duty round is just asking for a fight, and no one will ever win that, so it's stupid to even start! Nuff Said!

I will stand by the 45 however the primary reason the 38 super came out was because the old 45 rounds were not doing a good job of penetrating the old car bodies at least as I heard it. I don't plan on killing any cars soon so I guess I am ok with the old 45acp. I have four and always have room for another.

Now that probably has a lot to do with what you're trying to penetrate. I remember when body armor was getting going for LEO's. They had those letter designations. The 9mm was the one that some of the lower rated vests could not reliably stop. Speed vs smaller diameter and of course in the FMJ load. Even now the IIA vests used to not be rated to stop .22WMR when it was coming out of a rifle which kind of shocked me when I read it. Since they were talking lead bullets. The manufacturers were saying even lead that small going that fast could defeat the lower end vests. Not sure if they have improved them now days to fix this or not. When I bought my last vest the place I buy from was not even offering the IIA any more
They do IIIA now? Maybe?

It also depends on distance in regards to penetration as well.

They do IIIA now? Maybe?

It also depends on distance in regards to penetration as well.

Yes that's one of the higher end levels. Back when they went from the letters to the way they do it now it started at IIA, lowest, the II, then up from there. The lowest one IIA did not list as safe for the .22 WMR at rifle velocity. It did list things like the .38, 357, 45 ect. At the time it kind of shocked me that the vest that would stop all that would not stop a lead .22 from the .22WMR. The level II vests did list the .22 WMR as it would stop them. Like I said this was a while back so they may have "improved" since then. First vest I bought was a IIA. At the time I figured what were the chances someone was going to go after me with a rifle in .22WMR. A couple years ago when I bought a new vest the place I buy from was no longer even selling IIA vests so don't know if they were still being made or not.

SALES! Every "New" fangled thing to come along in the last 100+ years is not much in the "Improved" dept as many would want or believe! I think Bullet technology has done more then any thing else to make this debate more and more "Favorable" toward a certain size then any thing else. Is the .45 APC obsolete, Hell no, it has killed a whole lot of people for a lot more years then any one on here still breathing, and I suspect it will continue to kill as efficiently and effectively as it always has! Lets not even bring the beloved 1911 into this discussion, it was simply the first design to take this "New" round in a reliable semi auto platform and have success with it! To bash any ones choice of duty round is just asking for a fight, and no one will ever win that, so it's stupid to even start! Nuff Said!

That i'm pretty sure is why this guy does a lot of these videos the way he does. Click bait. Get a lot of people mad who tell others about this "idiot who said..........". Of course a lot of people will then click on him to see it. First time I ever heard of him was years ago. On a Kel-Tec forum one member said something like, this Yankee Marshall says everything KT makes is crap. I had to of course look him up to see. He does have a big hate on going for KT for some reason. I don't have as many of the KT guns now as I did then. I do still like their stuff a LOT. I got a laugh out of his video's even when I thought he was all wet on his opinions.

Well, I knew a guy once [ahem] whose life was saved by a .45acp in a wet green land on an unnumbered mountain. No one can tell me the system is not effective. Been there. Seen that. 9's are nice now too with the new bullet designs. No one had to redesign 230gr ball ammo...that I am aware of. It's all in good fun anyways. Good weekend everyone. Going to be reloading some of that old fashioned ammo for an old fashioned pistol. :)

Maybe we should have this guy shoot himself in the other leg with a 9mm pistol and report on how much more (or less) damage then the .45 acp caused him.

Having seen first hand all carnage caused by modern ammo used by the military's the world over, I can tell you for a fact, .45 APC Mil spec 230 ball is about the nastiest pistol round you can get hit with! Many would have stood a better chance with a 9 mm or some other, but the .45 didn't leave much chance, and that's exactly what it was designed to do! Ballistic Jell is only a small window into the world of terminal ballistics, A large chunk of metal passing through a human body at a speed just fast enough to to do that every time is going to cause a lot of trauma, and the more trauma you can cause out side the wound cavity ( radially), the more likely you will end the fight! Remember why hollow points are so popular? what do hollow points do mainly? They EXPAND to a larger size once they enter the body and they impart most if not all of that energy into the tissue around the wound channel. A .45 is a much bigger bullet, and thus it doesn't need to expand, it needs to pass through and dump as much of it's energy on the way through, causing as much tissue trauma as a smaller expanding bullet at higher speed, and the up side is less chances of over penetration!

Have you read of Owen J. Bagget?
He is the guy who shot a pilot of a Zero...
Andy
Yes andy I did read on it both sides the storys to conflicting one witness claimed it wasnt a 1911 rather a revolver the japs well we all know what they said ☺ my biggest thing is why would the zero fly nose up to almost stalling distance and then randomly open his canopy must have been a bad fart had to air that sucker out :)

Status

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR