JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I know that there are many diehards who refuse to accept the fact that the 45 ACP cartridge is now obsolete. This is especially true of many 1911 pistol fans.

But people need to face today's facts: the 45 ACP cartridge is over 100 years old, and is clearly now obsolete. We have better alternatives that are now available.

This video below does a good job of explaining many of the reason why you should not choose the 45 ACP as the cartridge for your pistol:

I know that there are many diehards who refuse to accept the fact that the 45 ACP cartridge is now obsolete. This is especially true of many 1911 pistol fans.

But people need to face today's facts: the 45 ACP cartridge is over 100 years old, and is clearly now obsolete. We have better alternatives that are now available.

This video below does a good job of explaining many of the reason why you should not choose the 45 ACP as the cartridge for your pistol:

Not bad at all. I like watching his stuff. Often do not agree with some or all of what he says. This one was well done. He is right. I often say I prefer a 1911 in .45 even though I do know there are better choices.

I understand the point but I could rattle on about the 9MM or many older cartridges for ten minutes and make the same argument. By the way the 9mm is a pip squeak round by comparison but it has Probably killed more human beings than any other pistol round. People are not hard to kill, they are thin skinned have no hide and there bone mass is minimal. That is why the US government went to the round, Capacity helps in a panic situation. If you can't hit with eight get something else. Don't make a fool of yourself defending your position on one of the most popular rounds in American history.

I tell you what, I'ma sit right here with my 1911 sippin' my tea. Less dem robbers bringin' some unsweetened tea, I ain't dyin no way no how. :rolleyes:

If it can kill, it ain't obsolete. Against the average home invader, if you can shoot best with a .45 ACP, the others don't amount up to a hill of beans.

The only real advantage the 9mm and .40 S&W offers is capacity. The differences in penetration don't amount to a hill of beans. If they ain't wearin' body armor, .45 ACP is going through. And yes, that even includes the heavy winter clothing that some folk might claim could stop the .45 ACP.

Isn't this the same fella that carries and touts .357 revolvers.. that are about pretty well trumped by the 9mm, round for round?
The .357 125gr with a 2-3" barrel generally makes surprisingly low numbers and the 9 makes surprisingly high ones (115's at about 1550 out of a 4").. Underwood Gold Dots.

The guys a nut job. I could only make it through half. So a larger heavier bullet is less effective ? As a long time hunter I call BS. The .45 was one of the only rounds tested on cadavers and shock values or energy transfer was great with the .45 acp. I shoot 9s as well but bashing the .45 is just wrong.

The easiest example I could give is small game hunting . I switched from .177 to .22 caliber and the increase in size and weight make a big difference for dropping small critters. I have seen it first hand. Living things are not gel blocks.

While shot placement is the most important , a larger size and mass bullet usually will transfer more energy. The guys an idiot.

.....(cue historical music) so the obsolete part is 2 World Wars the side using 9mm lost.....????

... didn't watch this particular video as I've seen plenty of similar discussion over the years....o_O

1980 - MC issued me a .45ACP 1911 and 1000 rounds per month to compete in NM Pistol.
1990 or about that time frame, Beretta 9mm pistol began to be issued.
Difference - holds lots of bullets, fun to shoot, less perceived recoil.
But,
If the center of the target isn't punched consistently, why not throw rocks?
Think about that. Rocks are cheaper, takes a hell of an arm to saw down a fir tree.
Kinder to the environmentals.
Is the group tight at all ranges or lucky if one or two cut paper?
Natural point of aim
Sight alignment
Sight picture
Squeeeeze

.....(cue historical music) so the obsolete part is 2 World Wars the side using 9mm lost.....????

... didn't watch this particular video as I've seen plenty of similar discussion over the years....o_O
The war really "started" in the 60's with 9mm Super Vel ammunition and Lee Juras. lol

The war really "started" in the 60's with 9mm Super Vel ammunition and Lee Juras. lol

yes, the ever demanding 'marketing war' wherein the ever upward push to improve the product we already have must be somehow found deficient so as to justify the newer/bigger/faster/better/smaller aspects of salesmanship.

I watched an older brother live thru the rifle caliber wars of 1950something Weatherby etc. While he couldn't really demonstrate the ~need~ for the ballistic upgrades he certainly could afford a new rifle now & then....and the coyotes around his place grew ever flightier and further away before they'd break cover.

The only issue .45 ACP would have with heavy clothing is expansion, which isn't as big of a deal as it is with the 9mm. That has another effect too. If it doesn't expand, or doesn't expand early (or as much) its going to penetrate more.

That being said, if bone is hit in the right spot its still getting shattered whether its a .45 or 9mm. There's no mythical property that causes the .45 ACP to go "oh wait I just hit a bone, I better stop and not do anything."

Try explaining why the .45acp sucks to Sgt. York....:eek::D

I understand that there are many choices that may be "better" than the .45 acp.
But what is better for one person may not be better for another.

I like the .45 acp and know just how to hit with my Series '70 Colt ...
So I do not feel that it "sucks".
Andy

When he got to the .380 being a better round I checked out. So your mouse gun w 6-7 rounds is better than a 1911 with 8-9 rounds. Pure Genius :confused:
Guy that's not what he said. I think a lot of what he says in his stuff is designed to do just what this did, set people off. Getting attention to his channel when some get on line and say "this guy said the .380 is better than the .45". Which if you watch it is not what he said but, getting people to say that probably gets him more hits on his channel. He like many gun owners / shooters has strong opinions on which guns are good and which ones are not. He is often entertaining. Apparently Kel-Tec did something to really set him off as he has some scathing reviews of their stuff. When I watched them I just had to laugh.

Isn't this the same fella that carries and touts .357 revolvers.. that are about pretty well trumped by the 9mm, round for round?
The .357 125gr with a 2-3" barrel generally makes surprisingly low numbers and the 9 makes surprisingly high ones (115's at about 1550 out of a 4").. Underwood Gold Dots.

Last I heard I think he was REAL big on the Rino. That wheel gun that fires from the bottom instead of the top. Even though he has had some problems with them he seems to really think they are great. I saw another one where he was all over how great the Canadian health care system is. That one had me shaking my head wondering where that came from. Since I don't remember ever hearing a Canadian down here saying they thought it was great.

Guy that's not what he said. I think a lot of what he says in his stuff is designed to do just what this did, set people off. Getting attention to his channel when some get on line and say "this guy said the .380 is better than the .45". Which if you watch it is not what he said but, getting people to say that probably gets him more hits on his channel. He like many gun owners / shooters has strong opinions on which guns are good and which ones are not. He is often entertaining. Apparently Kel-Tec did something to really set him off as he has some scathing reviews of their stuff. When I watched them I just had to laugh.

I will take your word because I didn't watch the whole thing.

His impersonation of people that like the .45 was enough to make me want to drop him. Yes fake news sells. And the .45 sucks IS fake news.

fake-news-1-678x381.jpg

Last I heard I think he was REAL big on the Rino. That wheel gun that fires from the bottom instead of the top. Even though he has had some problems with them he seems to really think they are great. I saw another one where he was all over how great the Canadian health care system is. That one had me shaking my head wondering where that came from. Since I don't remember ever hearing a Canadian down here saying they thought it was great.
I stopped watching altogether when he said he actually wanted all lead ammunition banned.

I stopped watching altogether when he said he actually wanted all lead ammunition banned.
But... but... but.... Its environmentally friendly!

Without our green Earth what would us clowns do? Aside, from you know, using our superior intellect and clowning to build a spaceship to mars. :rolleyes:

Status

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR