JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
There are reasons debates exist is because we all think different, personally I have always thought the 45ACP was over rated. But I love the look and feel of a 1911 and would love to have one.
I find the 40sw in a reliable Sig is a very good round, but so are many other rounds.
You can go hunting with a 22LR or a 30.06 kinda depends what you are hunting for.
I think the Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle it operates well and is easily operated. Its also one of the least accurate out of the box when compared to even a pocket change 22lr like the Marlin 60. But There is a reason so many calibers were made and are still made, because some one found a need for it.
The need may be a want......but still its a choice. The same argument can be said of why you should or should not bubbafy a rifle. Or why renting is better then buying. Proof there is a God. There are many arguments people will make when they support a topic. Doesn't make them right it makes them have an opinion and then they can try and reason their position.

I know that there are many diehards who refuse to accept the fact that the 45 ACP cartridge is now obsolete. This is especially true of many 1911 pistol fans.

But people need to face today's facts: the 45 ACP cartridge is over 100 years old, and is clearly now obsolete. We have better alternatives that are now available.

This video below does a good job of explaining many of the reason why you should not choose the 45 ACP as the cartridge for your pistol:

I no longer listen to this guy. I'm sure he's nice enough fellow. He just really throws out select information to feed his argument. Not saying I think much of the 45 acp, it's just if you're going to break stuff down and compare apples to Oranges then have a legitimate argument.

Mr.buys a 357 in a barrel length that makes the 357 pointless. Or how he complains about something not penetrating barriers but yet it's carry and we never want to over penetrate and focus on energy just getting delivered effectively.

If you're gonna argue a cartridge; a cartridge, not caliber (don't get me started lol) then do it with ballistics of modern loads and bullet technology. There are many guns out there that do the same job plus or minus trivial data.

Last Edited:
I know that there are many diehards who refuse to accept the fact that the 45 ACP cartridge is now obsolete. This is especially true of many 1911 pistol fans.

But people need to face today's facts: the 45 ACP cartridge is over 100 years old, and is clearly now obsolete. We have better alternatives that are now available.

This video below does a good job of explaining many of the reason why you should not choose the 45 ACP as the cartridge for your pistol:

If 45 is obsolete because its old, 9mm is obsolete because....ITS OLDER THAN 45.

I have had a 45 1911 most of my adult life. I am a die hard fan. I do think some rounds have better attributes than a 45. I think a 9mm or a 40 are better at penetrating barriers. They have more rounds. Yes most know this. They have some benefits.

Now the 45 it was designed not only to kill the enemy but the enemies horse. Yes when the 1911 came out the cavalry still was prevalent. It is one reason It has the grip safety. It throws a big bullet at a moderate speed. It has no problem making major in IDPA and for defensive purposes if more is needed you should be reaching for a long gun. I have always said guns are like religion when your time comes what's gonna save you my answer will be my 45.

I think a 9mm or a 40 are better at penetrating barriers.
Not really. what I want to try actually is reloading 357 sig with 9x19 ball bullets. I think using those bullets with a more sleek geometry might simulate the 7.62x25 a bit for penetration. All the bullets for 357 sig seem to be aimed at controlled expansion. Just an idea I had.

I wish I could say the penetration of the 9mm is significantly better since I used to think that was the case and I hate being wrong...

But they're similar for the most part.

Couldn't get past the "they got their depends in a twist" part. You want to have a discussion? Don't start with a personal attack, or insult.

Beyond the clickbaity title this is all nonsense. I stopped subscribing to just about every gun channel on youtube because I have no interest in living in an echo chamber. Is the .45acp old? Yes. Does it do what it was designed to do? Yes. Beyond that it's splitting hairs, and D measuring contest.

He wanted controversy because that generates views. Did he bring anything new to light? I don't know because his videos are intolerable. "Gun guys" on youtube are far too ego centrical.

Naw... .45 caliber ( .454 round ball ) with 40 grains of 2F or.54 caliber ( .530 round ball ) with 40 grains of 2F ...:D
Andy
DSC06041.jpg

I tell you what, I'ma sit right here with my 1911 sippin' my tea. Less dem robbers bringin' some unsweetened tea, I ain't dyin no way no how. :rolleyes:

If it can kill, it ain't obsolete. Against the average home invader, if you can shoot best with a .45 ACP, the others don't amount up to a hill of beans.

The only real advantage the 9mm and .40 S&W offers is capacity. The differences in penetration don't amount to a hill of beans. If they ain't wearin' body armor, .45 ACP is going through. And yes, that even includes the heavy winter clothing that some folk might claim could stop the .45 ACP.

If that old boy thinks heavy clothing will lessen penetration so much it will stop a 240 grain slug, tell him I have three winter jackets and three shirts and one thousand dollars, if he will sign away any liability and pull the string attached to the trigger of a fixed in place 45 caliber full size at 25 yards!

Not really. what I want to try actually is reloading 357 sig with 9x19 ball bullets. I think using those bullets with a more sleek geometry might simulate the 7.62x25 a bit for penetration. All the bullets for 357 sig seem to be aimed at controlled expansion. Just an idea I had.

You may not be able to fit them in your magazine. 9mm bullets are more conical.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads