JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Update to how things have gone:
I'm reading the Lyman AR reloader manual, and have picked up the 50th anniversary as well.
Got 2000 some primers from a user here
Went to pick up 2 pounds of powder and some brass (to convert) from a user here, ended up with a Lee single stage, 3 bushings, a set of 300 blackout dies, a shell holder, a forster case trimmer, and some case lube. As well as an offer to come learn from him about the reloading process and load some ammo.
Picked up 300 bullets (220gr Berry's and 190gr SMK)
I have a rock tumbler, mini chop saw, caliper, plenty of notebooks

Still to buy:
Case trim jig (may make my own, still up in the air)
In my cart at midway: hand priming tool, stainless pins, media separator, primer pocket cleaner, primer reamer powder measure, scale, funnel, and pan, shell holder, mtm ammo box

UNfortunately you need a bunch of stuff to start. Calipers, powder measure, reference books, scale, press, dies all add up. Usually when people say start small, it means buy basic stuff to get you by and then spend more money on upgrading what they have.

While most of my stuff has been packed up for a year while i remodel my den. It is acceaaible if you want to come over and bull and look at stuff.

I am about 10 minutes west of salem.

BTW i do not consider myself an expert. I haven't had anything blow up with about 10k reloads yet though.

UNfortunately you need a bunch of stuff to start. Calipers, powder measure, reference books, scale, press, dies all add up. Usually when people say start small, it means buy basic stuff to get you by and then spend more money on upgrading what they have.

While most of my stuff has been packed up for a year while i remodel my den. It is acceaaible if you want to come over and bull and look at stuff.

I am about 10 minutes west of salem.

BTW i do not consider myself an expert. I haven't had anything blow up with about 10k reloads yet though.
Definitely appreciate the offer! ill reach out when I can set some time aside

Hornady make a good starter kit that comes with everything you need to get started except for dies and shell holder(s).
I prefer local NW businesses and they and others do have this kit as well as others to pick from. Lyman has a good universal case guage you can use as well and it's fairly cheap. As for calipers, the best ones to use all depends on who you ask. I've personally got some from Harber Freight and Amazon for cheap that have worked just fine.
As for getting going 9mm is a good place to start to learn with. As for rimmed and rimless I believe they have separate die sets. Never loaded cases myself that were listed as rimmed so can't help much there, sorry.

Still to buy:
Case trim jig (may make my own, still up in the air)
In my cart at midway: hand priming tool, stainless pins, media separator, primer pocket cleaner, primer reamer powder measure, scale, funnel, and pan, shell holder, mtm ammo box
If you're wanting to get those items sooner, I'd hit up the local Bi-mart as they should have all of that or can order it, or it's on their website which only takes 2-3 days to get there. As for the trim jig hornady makes a good one to use and comes with everything you need minus the shell holder, down side you need one of their shell holders for it but those are cheap.

Stop by Guncrafters there in Salem at 13th & Rural. Their pile of reloading stuff changes weekly, but they often have presses, dies, powder drops, bullets and almost always have brass and other reloading parts you will need.
Not much difference in reloading rimmed vs semi-auto cartridges - it really depends on your crimp style, roll vs taper.

Definitely appreciate the offer! ill reach out when I can set some time aside
I don't want to discourage you, but if time is not an available asset, you may have a rough start. It takes time to learn this hobby. You'll likely find that reloading doesn't save a lot of money, because you may have to spend a thousand or more by the time you get settled into reloading comfortable even with one caliber.

What you definately will find is your ammo is "available" to you when you need it.

It takes time and patience to build your skills with reloading

Just of the top of MY head. Do you like working on your own equipment? Mechanically inclined? Rebuilt motors Do you work on your own vehicles. Pack the wheel bearings on your boat trailer. Put brake shoes on your car. Clean the carb on your lawn mower when it won't start in the spring. Fix your toilet when it keeps running on it's own.

Have you worked with calipers and micrometers.

I've always done that stuff, and latching onto reloading my own ammo was a breeze.
Because it's the way I started, and "I" think it's the best way, I'd say get the kit. That will save a lot of searching/gathering. My own preference is to not start with an electronic scale. I'll trust my eyes when it comes to weighing powder charges, over a $50.00, temperamental, electronic scale. I'd also recommend the RCBS kit, with balance beam scale. Be careful of the bottom of the rung Lee equipment. Hornady, I don't know. I do like their dies though.

I'm simple minded, but anal when it comes to the details of loading ammunition.

Finally, these days you don't get into loading to save money. Not saying you won't save money, eventually, it's just going to take a lot longer than it did when I started just back in December of 2011.
I relish my time at the loading table. Perhaps even more than I do when I'm shooting the ammo I made!

If you are going to chop .223 or 5.56mm cases, read up on which brass yields necks that are too thick. Better to avoid that problem.

Last Edited:
I'm just getting started on the reloading adventure. Bought some gear, bought some reloading manuals, watched some youtube videos.
But I finally followed the advice I read here and on other forums, and got a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading". For me, that book is really helping me make sense out of the sea of information.

If you're wanting to get those items sooner, I'd hit up the local Bi-mart as they should have all of that or can order it, or it's on their website which only takes 2-3 days to get there. As for the trim jig hornady makes a good one to use and comes with everything you need minus the shell holder, down side you need one of their shell holders for it but those are cheap.
Unfortunately no bi mart near me. Plan to stop at a place tomorrow before ordering

Yup. I have the 300blktalk page bookmarked. I'll be going through the brass I've got in the next few days
Sounds like you're well on the way to the fun! I knew they were building a BiMart here but did not know it was open. Bit of a drive for me too but, will have to go out to see it. Wife is forever wanting to get out so sure she will want to go. They seem to be the one place that (when they have it) actually competes with the on line places for ammo price wise.

The strait wall handgun calibers are SUPER easy to roll and a great place to learn. When I started Al had not invented the net yet. I ordered a Lee kit that came with his book. Went to the store and bought the stuff I needed, rolled about 50 rounds, they all worked great. Its dead simple. I did not even use a scale at the start, just the dipper. Flash forward many decades. Still using a Lee press but a 4 hole turret now. They make a great place to start. You may later decide you want something faster, I never have bothered but, certainly nothing wrong with them. If you do you can sell the one you learned on easily. After the net came along I bought and sold a lot of stuff as I was upgrading. The best part now is there is a ton of video to walk you through the entire process. Now if you get into rifle rounds, forming brass, bullseye, ect, then there is a lot more to learn. Strait wall pistol? Anyone can learn to do it safely in a jiff.

Rimmed or rimless is not a matter of choice, it's a matter of what YOUR gun actually shoots, there is NO option of shooting one or the other unless you get pretty much technical about it.

IF you are into WW1-era handguns, then the British .455cal Webley service revolver was often converted to shoot the .45ACP cartridge - they were retained in the cylinder by the use of so-called 'half-moon' clips. Finicky. In similar fashion, the British RAF used a version of the Colt M1911 that fired the so-called Colt .45 Auto Rim. They CANNOT be converted, though.

Again, all very esoteric stuff, TBH, and definitely NOT everyday stuff.

In more recent times, S&W made an N-frame revolver that took .45ACP cartridges and another smaller-frame model that took 9mmP.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top