JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just getting into reloading.. I realized that I don't shoot nearly as much as I like because I'm afraid to deplete my stash.
I'll be starting with 308 win, 45 acp, and 9 mm.
I've purchased a Hornady LNL, dies, shell plates, a cartridge feeder and most important; a manual!
Now I could use some advice on where the best prices and availability are for powder and primers!

Thanks in advance!!

Amoseek.com
Thank you. I have been buying through them for years. My thoughts process is this. Ever since the States became bent on demonizing weapons. The push has been on to eliminate ownership.
As has been demonstrated, the Supreme Court has our backs. At least regarding the 2nd amendment. But there are no such protections for ammunition!
The Government has already demonstrated that they can control the flow of ammunition. I think that is where they are going to strike next.
I just want the ability to make my own!!

Thank you. I have been buying through them for years. My thoughts process is this. Ever since the States became bent on demonizing weapons. The push has been on to eliminate ownership.
As has been demonstrated, the Supreme Court has our backs. At least regarding the 2nd amendment. But there are no such protections for ammunition!
The Government has already demonstrated that they can control the flow of ammunition. I think that is where they are going to strike next.
I just want the ability to make my own!!
Absolutely. And for X dollars one can shoot many, many more times than the equivalent amount of factory loads. The vast majority of my life I've spent around 1-2 cents per handgun cartridge reload and were one to extrapolate, I don't know, 500+K rounds to factory loads, there's a cost differential of easily $200K compared to $7500 just there.

Depending on the powder you want to you can find a fair selection at local shops for a good price. As for primes most local shops are starting to get them again or you can also see if there a member on here who has what you need/want.

Depending on the powder you want to you can find a fair selection at local shops for a good price. As for primes most local shops are starting to get them again or you can also see if there a member on here who has what you need/want.
That's good to hear. A couple of months back, I couldn't find primers anywhere!

Stop by a Sportsmans every time you pass and get your 300 primers. The last time I was in the Sportsmans here, they had tons of powder too. You might hit up Bi-Mart too.

Since you are starting out, I recommend looking at your manual and maybe picking a few powders to look for. If they don't have 231, maybe they have True Blue. For 45 and 9, I'd try to find a powder that they can share if possible. At least until you get some rounds under your belt and there are more options on the shelf. I used to just pick up random pounds of powder to try out, not anymore!

Stop by a Sportsmans every time you pass and get your 300 primers. The last time I was in the Sportsmans here, they had tons of powder too. You might hit up Bi-Mart too.

Since you are starting out, I recommend looking at your manual and maybe picking a few powders to look for. If they don't have 231, maybe they have True Blue. For 45 and 9, I'd try to find a powder that they can share if possible. At least until you get some rounds under your belt and there are more options on the shelf. I used to just pick up random pounds of powder to try out, not anymore!
Thank you for the direction. My Hornady book recommends IMR4064 or Varget for 308, and HS6 for 45 and 9mm. I have 2000 spp but I'll have to find LPP and LRP as well. Time to go shopping!!?

231, HP-38, Unique and others are powders suited to 9mm/.45 APC.

I would recommend taking a look at the powder manufacturers websites, they all offer up load information, and compile a list of powders to be on the hunt for. It's always good to have a primary as well as an alternative powder. For those lean times.

Last Edited:
Thank you for the direction. My Hornady book recommends IMR4064 or Varget for 308, and HS6 for 45 and 9mm. I have 2000 spp but I'll have to find LPP and LRP as well. Time to go shopping!!?

Print one of these and have near you when ever you would contemplate various powders and loads. Very often what ever powder a book recommends, other powders of similar burn rate may also have data somewhere..
Use more than one source for data. Personally, I use a Speer 14, Lyman 50 and the Hodgdon data web site.

1688136975219.png

Highline in Newberg has primers. Bimart has powder. Should get you up and loading this weekend.

I'm a fan of WIN244 for 9/45.

I'm also local to you, if you run into any problems during setup just message me.

I have ran a ton of 9mm and .45 acp usingW-231 I even used the same powder charge for 115 gr and 230 gr bullets.
Is there some chart that you know of, that cross references powders? I'm just wondering because it seems like a lot of people use different powders. I'm assuming that powders with the same rate of expansion, must be able to be used for similar weight bullets???

I spend a lot of time looking at the powder mfg website to find starting and max loads.

You may want to explore websites and guides to see load variations.

Screenshot_20230630_130640_Chrome.jpg

Is there some chart that you know of, that cross references powders? I'm just wondering because it seems like a lot of people use different powders. I'm assuming that powders with the same rate of expansion, must be able to be used for similar weight bullets???
There are similarities between the different powders. It really comes down to which one works best for you of the different types and their burn rates.

I spend a lot of time looking at the powder mfg website to find starting and max loads.

You may want to explore websites and guides to see load variations.

View attachment 1445777
Thanks. I'm printing comparative burn rate charts now.

Not necessarily a powder cross reference guide, more of a guide that give multiple powder options for your load. (I hope that makes sense).

On Hodgdon's website:

Start by entering what caliber you are loading for and follow the flow doing a "select all". It'll show you that there are multiple powder options to use for your caliber/load.

Good luck and have fun!

:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews