JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's wise to use crossover powders.
Red Dot/Promo can be used for everything from .25acp to 30-06 (reduced load "the load").
H335, RL15, and BLC2 can be used for anything from .223-30-06 for sure and it probably brackets more.
Then you go from there..

I'm just getting into reloading.. I realized that I don't shoot nearly as much as I like because I'm afraid to deplete my stash.
I'll be starting with 308 win, 45 acp, and 9 mm.
I've purchased a Hornady LNL, dies, shell plates, a cartridge feeder and most important; a manual!
Now I could use some advice on where the best prices and availability are for powder and primers!

Thanks in advance!!
I go into the reloading Manuel and look at the calibers I want to reload for. Then write down the name/number of the powders that use the smallest charge for the velocities I want. I like Winchester 296 powder for hot handgun loads. And 4074 for .308 and 30-06.

I go into the reloading Manuel and look at the calibers I want to reload for. Then write down the name/number of the powders that use the smallest charge for the velocities I want. I like Winchester 296 powder for hot handgun loads. And 4074 for .308 and 30-06.
Make sure you use resizing lube on the neck of bottle neck cases like 308,30-06. Not a lot but if you get dimples in the shoulder of the cases you are using too much. Do throw them out the dimples will expand next time you shoot them. I reload them until they Crack. Cracked cases go into a 5 gallon bucket( no live primers in the bucket) last time I took a 5 gallon bucket of brass to the scrap metal dealer I got $100.00 for it.
Happy reloading and safe shooting.
It's wise to use crossover powders.
Red Dot/Promo can be used for everything from .25acp to 30-06 (reduced load "the load").
H335, RL15, and BLC2 can be used for anything from .223-30-06 for sure and it probably brackets more.
Then you go from there..

I'm just getting into reloading.. I realized that I don't shoot nearly as much as I like because I'm afraid to deplete my stash.
I've purchased a Hornady LNL, dies, shell plates, a cartridge feeder and most important; a manual!
Now I could use some advice on where the best prices and availability are for powder and primers!

Thanks in advance!!
I usually get my supplies from Bi-Mart. They seem to have the lowest prices around. Sometimes you can get a discount when buying primers in the 1,000 count carton.
When I need powder I look in the reloading manuelvto see which load uses the least powder for the velocity I want. But then again I like Winchester 296 for my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt, as it gets up to .44 mag velocities, and a beach ball size ball of fire as part of the muzzle blast. It makes everybody on the firing line look to see what went boom. Definitely not an indoor range round, unless you are the only one there.

Thanks in advance!!
Keep the resizing lube to a minimum on the neck and shoulder, or you will get dented casings out of the sizer die. It won't actually matter for bullet performance but it will shorten the life of the casing. I reload them until they crack.

Is there some chart that you know of, that cross references powders? I'm just wondering because it seems like a lot of people use different powders. I'm assuming that powders with the same rate of expansion, must be able to be used for similar weight bullets???
When starting out looking at powders I look at what they can do for me.
For practice ammo I look for the one that takes the least amount of powder to make the same pressure.
For hunting loads I look for powders that make the same pressures at 110 degrees as it does at 10 degrees.
and for defensive loads I look at powders that don't break down from heat, cold, or vibrations.
For pistol ammo I use mostly Tight Group because I can get near 2000 loads of 9mm.

One place to start is with a load book that is not made by a powder company. DR

Thanks for the advice. I'm still learning what I need to purchase for equipment. I now have an automatic case feeder, bullet feeder with a through powder fitting, titanium dies, and a powder cop. I'll start buying powder now.
I'm just starting with 9mm as it seems like it will be easier.

When starting out looking at powders I look at what they can do for me.
For practice ammo I look for the one that takes the least amount of powder to make the same pressure.
For hunting loads I look for powders that make the same pressures at 110 degrees as it does at 10 degrees.
and for defensive loads I look at powders that don't break down from heat, cold, or vibrations.
For pistol ammo I use mostly Tight Group because I can get near 2000 loads of 9mm.

One place to start is with a load book that is not made by a powder company. DR
I purchased a Hornady book. Mostly because I bought Hornady equipment.
Thank you!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads