JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
To eloquently quote the ACLU opposing a similar law in Rhode Island

"The legislation allows a court to intervene in potentially major and intrusive ways on a person's liberty and property interests without any indication, much less suggestion, that the person has engaged in any criminal conduct – or even that he or she may do so imminently. In that regard, the bill places judges in the unenviable – indeed, impossible – position of trying to predict who may and may not become a mass murderer. Psychiatry and the medical sciences have not succeeded in this realm, and there is no basis for believing courts will do any better. The result will likely be a significant impact on the rights of many innocent individuals in the hope of preventing a tragedy."

I suspect this type of order is more likely to prevent suicides then mass murders, but the point still stands.

Disproportionate mass shootings by whites is a reality. Wanna keep playing this game?

Relevance??

Thousands of crimes committed by Blacks, compared to how many mass shootings by Whites?? More deaths by Blacks in Chicago each year than all the deaths by mass shootings by Whites in history!! (US)

Relevance??

Thousands of crimes committed by Blacks, compared to how many mass shootings by Whites?? More deaths by Blacks in Chicago each year than all the deaths by mass shootings by Whites in history!! (US)

Relevance is exactly my point. The original comment this all sprouted from had no relevance on the original topic of this thread. You want to play the which race is worse in America game, we can go tit for tat. But really it's too early to argue over that with those so eager to enjoy their veiled racism. Have a good morning I got coffee to drink.

Relevance is exactly my point. The original comment this all sprouted from had no relevance on the original topic of this thread. You want to play the which race is worse in America game, we can go tit for tat. But really it's too early to argue over that with those so eager to enjoy their veiled racism. Have a good morning I got coffee to drink.

Was not racist until Bummer's second term. No longer veiled!!

Lets keep the conversation respectful please.
If you want to refute a statement , do so , politely , with sources , if possible.

Throwing out statements without a lot of context or source material is like tossing a grenade in a room...
It makes a big noise , with lots of smoke and causes disorientation and discord.
More to the point... it can derail a thread with arguments.
Andy

Lets keep the conversation respectful please.
If you want to refute a statement , do so , politely , with facts and if possible sources.

Throwing out statements without a lot of context or source material is like tossing a grenade in a room...
It makes a big noise , with lots of smoke and causes disorientation and discord.
More to the point... it can derail a thread with arguments.
Andy
Sorry
It's early my phones dinging from these responses, and I wasnt expecting this conversation at all. I'm grumpy. I'm doing my best to back away.

I found the story to be one sided and heavily slanted.
I also wonder just how much of story / interview was cleverly edited and filmed to "showcase" a certain viewpoint.

Are there folks out there who own guns that are a danger to themselves or others...of course.
Should we have a system in place that takes away someone's access to firearms , if they pose a danger ...yes again.
That said... it needs to be an impartial system , with oversight and " checks and balances ".
We are , after all taking someone's rights away...
It would be easy to abuse or get carried away , otherwise.

I mean just say if someone pushed for a system that said if you vote a certain way , you are a danger and need to have your voting rights taken away...
Or the words you say , the books you read , the news you watch is dangerous , you may no longer have access to that media...

If you start making a system to take away one right , you can make a system to take away any or all of your rights.
"All bad precedents begin as justifiable measures"
Andy

So, 30 in 5000. That's a very small percentage. Ballpark .5%? Plus, they get their guns back in a year. While I am against trampling one's liberty..... this seems like a logical place TO START. Those numbers seem like the attempt to put checks and balances in place is there.

The sticking point for me is this: let's say a judge denies the ERPO, and the individual does keep their guns. Then, that individual goes on a shooting spree. The ensuing bubblegum-storm in the media is going to be outrageous. "He never should've had guns!" "That judge didn't do his job!" "Remove that judge from his position!" Ambulance chasers will have a FIELD DAY with court cases. That's how well intentioned laws.... like the ERPO..... get taken to the next level and confiscation becomes the intention and NOT public safety.

Disproportionate mass shootings by whites is a reality. Wanna keep playing this game?

Disproportionate might not mean what you understand it to mean. Disporportuonate means that it is not proportional, which relates to the occurance it happens compared to the population it represents.

Actually, if you look at the total population in the US, predominantly white, by law of averages that would lead to he majority of mass shooters to be white. Of the most deadly ones in history through before Las Vegas, 2 at the top we're an Asian man (VT) and an Arab Muslim, (Orlando nightclub)

Where your argument flops around, 'disproportionality' is when we compare other groups related to violent crime and then yes, there is a high degree of disportionaility compared to 13% of the population and the number of violent crimes committed.

This can then be linked back to my previous references however regarding poverty and violent crime.

Actually no. Of course the semantics depend on what the media reports as a "mass shooting". If a gang member shoots into a group at a street basketball game, nightclub parking lot or other event and hits several people, that is a mass shooting. This happens all the time in large cities and the shooters are almost always black.

New Orleans shooting: 3 dead, 7 injured after gunmen open fire at strip mall

You're gonna need a lot of holes? Been around enough racists in my community to know their kind of talk backed by "facts." Plus this is all off topic. I'm bored talking to you.

And out comes the Racist card after loosing the argument.

Last Edited:
Actually no. Of course the semantics depend on what the media reports as a "mass shooting". If a gang member shoots into a group at a street basketball game, nightclub parking lot or other event and hits several people, that is a mass shooting. This happens all the time in large cities and the shooters are almost always black.

And out comes the Racist card after loosing the argument.

It was out well before that.

@American123 Nobody needs my 2 cents, but here goes anyway.

Poverty does NOT create crime, in my reasoned opinion. Whatever it is inside someone that creates a dependence on crime, that creates a violent person, that creates someone who feels they have the right to things that are owned by others, is the same thing that causes that person to be in poverty.

Therefore, someone who is in poverty, who is very poor, is NOT necessarily good or bad. But someone who is bad, evil, violent, who is bound to use crime to take from society, is going to be MUCH more likely be impoverished.

This is just my opinion. Crime = poverty, not the other way around.

Status

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR