JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
WND said:
In 2013, police seized all the weapons from Rodriguez' home then refused to return them.

In the lower courts, judges quickly concluded Rodriguez had done nothing wrong and was allowed to buy new weapons. But city law-enforcement officers still kept her old ones.

I wonder how many more years are going to pass before (and/or if) she gets all of her guns back....................

Ray

Wow.... yeah they jacked her. I dont know how you reprimand a municipality but just giving them back isn't good enough in my opinion which, they better end up doing. She should get 7 years worth of rental fees from the city for this at least

I wonder how many more years are going to pass before (and/or if) she gets all of her guns back....................

Ray
This is not meant to be anti cop but this is a clear case where government refuses to punish itself. That department and the DA or who ever prosecutes there needs to lose what ever amount she would win in a lawsuit from their budget. Since this was not an honest mistake. They seem to have gone to great lengths to cancel her rights to her property.

I'm changing my username to WetBlanket. Unfortunately, this case is less straightforward than it looks in the WND article. The sequence went like this:
  1. Police confiscated 12 of Husband's guns and one of Lori's. H was legit nuts based on the description of his behaviors.
  2. Lori sued to get her gun back and the ones in which she had a community property interest. Trial court refused.
  3. Lori appealed to CA appeals court. Court ruled against her, affirmed trial court.
  4. Lori DID NOT appeal this decision and it became final and binding against her. <--- problem! (*)
  5. Lori and H transferred all the guns to Lori's sole ownership, she changed the safe combo.
  6. Lori filed Federal case.
  7. Federal District Court ruled that #3 above represents a final determination against her and ruled against her in the Fed case (there was a 4A issue too, but she lost that as well) (*).
  8. Lori appealed to the 9th circuit, it affirmed the Federal District Court.
  9. Lori appealed to the SCOTUS.
  10. SCOTUS asks city to explain.
The main issue is whether she can even have the second Federal case because of claim or issue preclusion. (*) If SCOTUS decides to do nothing, it will be on this basis because claim/issue preclusion are extremely powerful and kill subsequent cases even if the first one was wrongly decided -- these are serious trump cards. Whether SCOTUS is scolding the city or not, let's not forget that it made NYC go through all the motions of arguing a case, before it copped out and said it was moot.

(*) Claim/Issue preclusion prevents harassing lawsuits by saying you get one chance to bite the apple, and once the case has come to a final conclusion, you don't get to try again in a new lawsuit. There are two basic forms: res judicata which applies to identical cases and parties, and collateral estoppel which applies to an issue between two parties that was litigated previously and applies even if the new case as a whole is not identical, at least as to that previously litigated issue. These are powerful concepts and will kill a case whether or not the prior decision was wrong.

9th Circuit opinion: https://cases.justia.com/federal/appellate-courts/ca9/17-17144/17-17144-2019-07-23.pdf?ts=1563901363

Last Edited:
I'm changing my username to WetBlanket. Unfortunately, this case is less straightforward than it looks in the WND article. The sequence went like this:
  1. Police confiscated 12 of Husband's guns and one of Lori's. H was legit nuts based on the description of his behaviors.
  2. Lori sued to get her gun back and the ones in which she had a community property interest. Trial court refused.
  3. Lori appealed to CA appeals court. Court ruled against her, affirmed trial court.
  4. Lori DID NOT appeal this decision and it became final and binding against her. <--- problem! (*)
  5. Lori and H transferred all the guns to Lori's sole ownership, she changed the safe combo.
  6. Lori filed Federal case.
  7. Federal District Court ruled that #3 above represents a final determination against her and ruled against her in the Fed case (there was a 4A issue too, but she lost that as well) (*).
  8. Lori appealed to the 9th circuit, it affirmed the Federal District Court.
  9. Lori appealed to the SCOTUS.
  10. SCOTUS asks city to explain.
The main issue is whether she can even have the second Federal case because of claim or issue preclusion. (*) If SCOTUS decides to do nothing, it will be on this basis because claim/issue preclusion are extremely powerful and kill subsequent cases even if the first one was wrongly decided -- these are serious trump cards. Whether SCOTUS is scolding the city or not, let's not forget that it made NYC go through all the motions of arguing a case, before it copped out and said it was moot.

(*) Claim/Issue preclusion prevents harassing lawsuits by saying you get one chance to bite the apple, and once the case has come to a final conclusion, you don't get to try again in a new lawsuit. There are two basic forms: res judicata which applies to identical cases and parties, and collateral estoppel which applies to an issue between two parties that was litigated previously and applies even if the new case as a whole is not identical, at least as to that previously litigated issue. These are powerful concepts and will kill a case whether or not the prior decision was wrong.

9th Circuit opinion: https://cases.justia.com/federal/appellate-courts/ca9/17-17144/17-17144-2019-07-23.pdf?ts=1563901363
But in #7 above, the state did not argue for preclusion or collateral estoppel. Rather, the court took it upon itself to rule on issues not raised by the defendant. That's a problem.

So then.....What if??? The guns were given back today.

Rrrrright…..
I guess the SCOTUS could say the issue is, "moot". And so, they won't have to hear anymore about it. And NOT move to prevent a similar occurance in the future.

HA, Ha, ha..... Rrrrrright…...

Justice

Aloha, Mark

The biggest problem is "justice" systems have become political arenas where it's no holds bar against your opposition regardless of laws and once caught in violation of a citizens rights there is no repercussion to the oppressor.
gaurantee you if judges/prosecutors started losing their jobs, pensions, licenses, and had personal liability against them the tune would change:
But we have become a society of politics where elitist can bend, break, and manipulate the rules in their favor without punishment.
Our systems favor the tyrants. Not what our forefather's fought for.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top