JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, so I am new to this and reading the states laws I am confused. As a non-resident, (But with Utah and Oregon permits) can I just carry a concealed handgun. It looks like there is a permit and constitutional carry. Being as I have never lived in a constitutional carry state, I would like some guidance. (And if I just have to open carry... I will) I am headed to North Idaho to check out areas to move to. Last thing I want to do is break the law.

Trust but verify; Idaho is a constitutional carry state and allows any adult over 21 that is not otherwise forbidden, to carry a concealed weapon (the age may be 18).

Idaho also recognizes all state permits and provides a state carry permit for the purpose of reciprocity (the last part is my assumption on the reasoning).

Again, trust but verify, but this is my understanding.

No permit required iirc residents over 18 non residents over 21, conceal it correctly and no one will know anyways right?

Actually it's just 18 and us citizen idk why I thought it was 18 for state only, I think the law to carry/own a handgun is 18 but fed is 21 so kind of a weird niche

Last Edited:
FYI North Idaho is full...
5 more incoming. Had a meeting with a realtor last night and I think he tried to scare us off a little and left with the opinion that we were a good fit. When he asked me if I ruled out any areas, and I told him Sandpoint he seemed surprised.

Last Edited:
Idaho is also open carry and has always been per the Idaho constitution, so you can carry open or concealed and they accept all state permits.

Idaho has currently 2 carry permits if you are interested. the enhanced allows you to carry in more states and on college compasses but you have to be 21 for this one and take a class and shoot 100 rounds and it allows you to carry in Washington.

The second they will issue to 18 or older so some states will not allow them

You do not need them to carry here but most folks get them to by pass the current NICS check to buy guns. If you buy a lot of guns it saves time when the system is down or it puts you in research mode as it has been doing a lot lately,

Idaho is also open carry and has always been per the Idaho constitution, so you can carry open or concealed and they accept all state permits.
I am not sure how my wife feels about me walking around open carrying. It will be something she will probably have to grow accustomed to, but she has never lived where it is common. Personally I prefer concealed for a myriad of reasons & I am definitely older than 21. Still immature in some ways, but more grey in the beard than not.

I probably would get an enhanced permit anyway. Never know when you might end up taking a wrong turn at Albuquerque. I have slowed my buying, but... ...you never know.

I am not sure how my wife feels about me walking around open carrying. It will be something she will probably have to grow accustomed to, but she has never lived where it is common. Personally I prefer concealed for a myriad of reasons & I am definitely older than 21. Still immature in some ways, but more grey in the beard than not.

I probably would get an enhanced permit anyway. Never know when you might end up taking a wrong turn at Albuquerque. I have slowed my buying, but... ...you never know.
Depending on what part of the state you are looking at and I assume its north if your talking about not wanting Sandpoint, it is easy to drive the back roads and end up in Montana or Washington as the pan handle is not that wide so a permit is a good thing.

In Coeur d' Alene it is not uncommon to see open carry especially at the Silver Lake mall as there is a gun shop in the mall and a knife shop as well, its Idaho what can I say.

All I ask anyone who moves here is do not vote to make this state like the one you left as you left for a reason.

Depending on what part of the state you are looking at and I assume its north if your talking about not wanting Sandpoint, it is easy to drive the back roads and end up in Montana or Washington as the pan handle is not that wide so a permit is a good thing.

In Coeur d' Alene it is not uncommon to see open carry especially at the Silver Lake mall as there is a gun shop in the mall and a knife shop as well, its Idaho what can I say.

All I ask any who moves here is do not vote to make this state like the one you left as you left for a reason.
I come seeking those who are like minded. Definitely a refugee. I am waiting on my second machine gun stamp, though I believe the NFA is a blatant infringement. I think per everything I hear, I will fit in fine in Idaho. My daughters will likely be less weirded out by people open carrying than my wife, who does not have a problem with it, but is not used to it. They grew up with me and know I carry.

I come seeking those who are like minded. Definitely a refugee. I am waiting on my second machine gun stamp, though I believe the NFA is a blatant infringement. I think per everything I hear, I will fit in fine in Idaho. My daughters will likely be less weirded out by people open carrying than my wife, who does not have a problem with it, but is not used to it. They grew up with me and know I carry.
There are a lot of folks up here running Silencers for hunting, long range and fun so you will fit in and it is not uncommon if you live in an area you can shoot to hear full auto or just gun fire in general.

The full auto folks are not what they used to be here as the price of guns and parts have turned many folks into collectors for anything transferable more than shooters, but they are still out there.

There are a number of shops in the area that can and will be happy to cater to your class 3 needs if you so desire though.

That's cool. I generally shoot almost solely suppressed. Though I already have most suppressors I could need.

I do dearly love shooting my Sten and am looking forward to getting my m11/9. I will be using lage uppers so planning on shooting them.

Idaho and Montana are not as red as folks fantasize! Reading and believing the propaganda from those who seek to lighten wallets and enhance theirs only leads to false expectations and krappy housing (includes so-called new construction). Fix your "homeland" and don't destroy Idaho or Montana with some wanna be fantasy concept. ALL of Idaho is full and economically it is on the downside of the bell curve opportunity wise (HOUSING) and on the increasing side of inflation (food and fuel) despite what the money grubbers pontificate! Oh yeah, it does get COLD in the winter, not like the balmy west coast! Note: open carry is for the newbies!

Idaho and Montana are not as red as folks fantasize! Reading and believing the propaganda from those who seek to lighten wallets and enhance theirs only leads to false expectations and krappy housing (includes so-called new construction). Fix your "homeland" and don't destroy Idaho or Montana with some wanna be fantasy concept. ALL of Idaho is full and economically it is on the downside of the bell curve opportunity wise (HOUSING) and on the increasing side of inflation (food and fuel) despite what the money grubbers pontificate! Oh yeah, it does get COLD in the winter, not like the balmy west coast! Note: open carry is for the newbies!
Agree with a lot of what your saying, there's a flock of idiots that showed up that are doing their best to turn our state into a *#ithole….however, when you live in central idaho you don't conceal…..not sure how to conceal a 6" Anaconda? Except maybe in the dead of winter when my nipples are frozen.

I have no homeland so to speak. Do you think I should move to NC and her to CA? For the record, I am dark red. As are both the smaller areas we grew up in. And yes, when my wife grew up, the region she is from was dark red. I moved to Oregon when it was nice, but hey that has been a while. I am looking at properties and I have numerous friends in the area who have given me the rundown. I also have a good job in demand in North Idaho. My wife keeps her current job. And I believe costs will increase but we want more freedom and the homes are for sale.

Want me or a commie moving in? Properties will sell. Your attitude is silly. I am looking at 5-10 acre properties.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews