JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The CMP is not the government. The CMP is a congressionally-chartered non-profit corporation. The army transfers these guns to the CMP at a nominal price, and the CMP uses profits from the sale of them for civilian marksmanship programs and training. There is no profit to the government from the sale of these guns.

I understand what you're saying though. In a perfect world, veterans who had used these guns in service would get first shot at one, gratis, as a "Thank you for your service!"

Last Edited:
All I know was it one was one of the happiest days of my life when I finally got rid of that 1911 and they issued me a brand spankin' new M9 in1989. I hated that 1911.

As to the "numbers matching" thing; personally I find this issue vastly overrated. I'm not a serious collector though.

As I'm sure we all know, U.S. arms don't have serial numbers on all the parts like most foreign military arms. I get on the CMP forums occasionally, and it's interesting to see how many people really get into making their guns "correct". To each their own and all that, if that's what turns you on. Personally it doesn't mean much to me. These guns were used all over the world, in many cases used hard for decades. Parts and pieces got swapped, replaced, and upgraded as a regular part of that history.

Besides, I couldn't afford those museum-grade pieces even if that kind of thing meant anything to me. I'm happy with my old "mix-masters". I even like my old "Blue Sky" carbine, and I'm well aware of just how much most M1 collectors hate those.

The CMP is not the government. The CMP is a congressionally-chartered non-profit corporation. The army transfers these guns to the CMP at a nominal price, and the CMP uses profits from the sale of them for civilian marksmanship programs and training. There is no profit to the government from the sale of these guns.

I understand what you're saying though. In a perfect world, veterans who had used these guns in service would get first shot at one, gratis, as a "Thank you for your service!"
As far as I'm concerned, they are an organ of the federal gov't. Please don't thank me for my service. My opinion is that every American male has an incumbent responsibility to respond to the trumpet call when our nation is threatened. I object most strenuously to US service men being sent to foreign shores for political purposes. That's all Vietnam was.

What round were you?

-E-
I was round 3. All grades were available I chose field grade. Results from my FOI request on the 1911A1.

The following information was found in the Department of Defense (DoD) Small Arms/Light Weapons Registry for M1911A1, .45mm Automatic Caliber Pistol, NSN: 1005-00-726-5655, Serial Number 2628701.

1. 26 November 1987 – Anniston Munitions Center, Anniston, Alabama received the weapon.

2. 27 February 1999 – Anniston Munitions Center, Anniston, Alabama shipped the weapon to Army General Supply (Logistics Modernization Program (LMP) Stock Records), Anniston, Alabama.

3. 27 February 1999 – Army General Supply (Logistics Modernization Program (LMP) Stock Records), Anniston, Alabama received the weapon from Anniston Munitions Center, Anniston, Alabama.

4. 08 September 2000, 31 January 2003, 29 January 2004, 23 January 2005, 12 February 2006, 29 January 2007,27 January 2008, 25 January 2009, 24 January 2010, and 06 March 2011 – Army General Supply (Logistics Modernization Program (LMP) Stock Records), Anniston, Alabama performed reconciliation on the weapon.

5. 29 April 2011 – Headquarters (HQ) United States Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM), Rock Island, Illinois performed multi-field corrections on the weapon.

6. 29 September 2020 – Army General Supply (Logistics Modernization Program (LMP) Stock Records), Anniston, Alabama received the weapon from Headquarters (HQ) United States Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM), Rock Island, Illinois.

7. 25 April 2021 – Army General Supply (Logistics Modernization Program (LMP) Stock Records), Anniston, Alabama performed reconciliation on the weapon.

Last Edited:
My Dad, the atheist, used to call them "Religislaters"! :s0114:

I can't say for absolutely sure, but the Salt Lake Valley may seem woke to you, but without living in a place like the formerly great city of "Portland" I'm not sure you can know the true depth of"WOKE". I mean potland woke is on a different level than SLC woke I'd wa
Don't fall into the myth of "non profit", it is an accounting trick to suck in soft headed liberals. Some of the highest salaries and most inflated expenditures I have ever seen were from non profits. I too am glad they weren't destroyed but haven't seen a great deal from the CMP for a long time.
Yep look at the NRA Wayne LaPierre lol none profit means spend it all on yourself like a pyramid scheme person at the top get the most

I'm grateful I was able to get a couple Garands from CMP. I'm never selling those.

If they still had 1903s or 1917s I would stand in line for one. 1911s... nope.

As to the "numbers matching" thing; personally I find this issue vastly overrated. I'm not a serious collector though.
^^^agreed

Lol dang I am not directly comparing them to the NRA just saying they're asking a lot for the handguns for it being a none profit.
The whole point of selling them is to raise money for the shooting activities they support. They have had no problem up to this point selling them for what they are asking. In fact, in Round 1 and 2 they had to go to a lottery system with no guarantee that buyers would receive a 1911 and buyers are capped at one per customer when they are successful in getting one.

Eventually the CMP is going to run out of surplus arms to sell. The trust fund that they build from the sale of these arms will have to finance their education, training, outreach activities beyond the end of the sales program. The goal is to build up the fund to the point where it keeps them in the money in perpetuity.

No one is forcing you to buy one and no one is spending your money when they do. If you want a 1911, there are dozens of other choices available for you.

-E-

Last Edited:
Lol dang I am not directly comparing them to the NRA just saying they're asking a lot for the handguns for it being a none profit.
Oh hell, I shouldn't have quoted you! If I'd noticed, that YOU, drug up an almost five YO post to quote, I don't think I would have. I'd just snicker to myself. :s0114:

The above posts lay out all the good the CMP does. And when you contact them they are extremely helpful. It was unnerving when I went for my first CMP purchase and saw the hang tags still on the M1s from CMP with a date two months before. Guys were asking up to, and above double, the price they had paid three months earlier. It took me 6 months, almost to the day, to get my M1.
How great it must be to live within a few hours of one of their stores. And be able to go in and pick a rifle of the rack.

I'm grateful I was able to get a couple Garands from CMP. I'm never selling those.

If they still had 1903s or 1917s I would stand in line for one. 1911s... nope.

^^^agreed
More power to those who buy one. I would myself if I had more disposable income or if the selling price was significantly lower. Enough people are willing to pay it though, so I don't have much to complain about.

For me, the difference between a CMP 1911 and a Garand is that you can't get a modern, commercially produced M1 Garand for half the price of a CMP Garand.

Imagine if you could! $350 for a solid, well made M1 copy? I'll bet sales of rusty, beat up rack-grade M1's would slow way down. Then again there are a lot of guys who can't understand paying $700 for an obsolete old M1 when you can buy a budget AR for half that.

I'm not a serious collector, nor strictly a shooter. My purposes for owning old guns is the history, and enjoyment at the range. I'm happy with my inexpensive ATI 1911, and occasionally take out the one I inherited from my grandfather. He was a WWII veteran, so when I was young I assumed it was an "army gun". It wasn't until I inherited it that I realized it was actually something he bought after coming home from Japan, a 1947 Govt. Model.

Last Edited:
More power to those who buy one. I would myself if I had more disposable income or if the selling price was significantly lower. Enough people are willing to pay it though, so I don't have much to complain about.

For me, the difference between a CMP 1911 and a Garand is that you can't get a modern, commercially produced M1 Garand for half the price of a CMP Garand.

Imagine if you could! $350 for a solid, well made M1 copy? I'll bet sales of rusty, beat up rack-grade M1's would slow way down. Then again there are a lot of guys who can't understand paying $700 for an obsolete old M1 when you can buy a budget AR for half that.

I'm not a serious collector, nor strictly a shooter. My purposes for owning old guns is the history, and enjoyment at the range. I'm happy with my inexpensive ATI 1911, and occasionally take out the one I inherited from my grandfather. He was a WWII veteran, so when I was young I assumed it was an "army gun". It wasn't until I inherited it that I realized it was actually something he bought after coming home from Japan, a 1947 Govt. Model.
The only reason I build AR's and not Garands is lack of a DIY parts and tools industry. Hoping that Mike at H&R will fix that soon... of course with the meatpipe-smoking turds in Olympia shoving a parts ban through it might be moot.

At the prices I'm not interested in any of them. Even the highest grade doesn't have a description that appeals to me. "Minor pitting, and wear on exterior" for $1050 doesn't impress me much.

At the prices I'm not interested in any of them. Even the highest grade doesn't have a description that appeals to me. "Minor pitting, and wear on exterior" for $1050 doesn't impress me much.
If you accept the fact its just a rebuilt WW2 parts gun (maybe) and want a rebuilt WW2 parts gun ( maybe) with all its warts then its the gun for you. If you want a new gun this isn't your gun.

If you accept the fact its just a rebuilt WW2 parts gun (maybe) and want a rebuilt WW2 parts gun ( maybe) with all its warts then its the gun for you. If you want a new gun this isn't your gun.
Exactly!

Plenty of people are willing to shell out the big bucks for old, rebuilt USGI history. They just see all the wear and replaced parts as part of the history of the gun. You just can't compare that to a modern, commercial 1911. Anyone who can't understand the difference should forget these even exist, because it'll just bug you that people are silly enough to pay an outrageous sum for an inferior weapon.

Plenty of people will pay it, the market will bear it, and they won't have any trouble selling them all, so more power to them.

Exactly!

Plenty of people are willing to shell out the big bucks for old, rebuilt USGI history. They just see all the wear and replaced parts as part of the history of the gun. You just can't compare that to a modern, commercial 1911. Anyone who can't understand the difference should forget these even exist, because it'll just bug you that people are silly enough to pay an outrageous sum for an inferior weapon.

Plenty of people will pay it, the market will bear it, and they won't have any trouble selling them all, so more power to them.
That's their thing! I wouldn't do it but if that's what they like, no sweat. I want more in the hand for the money. M1 Garand BABY!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top