JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got to imagine there was some dealing done for the opposition to sign off on this too.

The stipulation around the CMPs sale practice was again cited in their release literature, no way was that the first time it came up, nor was it in there for anyone who'd actually want to buy *any* gun, let alone a vintage 1911.

Don't fall into the myth of "non profit", it is an accounting trick to suck in soft headed liberals. Some of the highest salaries and most inflated expenditures I have ever seen were from non profits. I too am glad they weren't destroyed but haven't seen a great deal from the CMP for a long time.

Sadly it is a money making cash cow now, has been for a while. I can still live with it though for a couple reasons. For one I am not about to buy anything from them but, I FAR prefer to see them selling this stuff rather that scrap it after we paid for it.

Went over to CMP and read the forums. They are falling over themselves to get one. I suspect that most of them will be immediately flipped for profit given how happy they are to buy a rusty one. To the guy who said that they will all need new barrels and bushings and they are happily just paying for a frame and slide, I got some rocks that have been around since WWII that you might be interested in as well.

oh well, I guess they will also be happy they made a few hundred flipping them.

Prices seem to be collector prices for sure... I can go get a new Colt or pair of Remington's for $1K...

I appreciate history and what those pistols may have been through, but unfortunately, they can't tell me the things they've seen and done...

Went over to CMP and read the forums. They are falling over themselves to get one. I suspect that most of them will be immediately flipped for profit given how happy they are to buy a rusty one. To the guy who said that they will all need new barrels and bushings and they are happily just paying for a frame and slide, I got some rocks that have been around since WWII that you might be interested in as well.

oh well, I guess they will also be happy they made a few hundred flipping them.

Many seem to never "get" collectors. I never quite understood it but I used to love to take advantage of it.These will sell at the price they are asking because there is not enough of them to glut the market. Those who think they will not sell just have not paid attention to what these sell for. Anyone who "thinks" these will just sit has only to look at the auctions at what these sell for these days. Often makes me wish I would have laid in a dozen or so of them back in the day :) These are certainly not something I am interested in but there is a hell of a lot of collectors who will fall all over themselves getting their wallet out for these.

Out of my comfort range. I paid $600 for an almost new (less then 20 rds fired when I bought it) completely tuned and upgraded Remington 1911 (wilson Beavertail, Hammer and Trigger) that has been professionally tuned and has an unbelievably nice trigger. Oh and I got 8 magazines with it.

Out of my comfort range. I paid $600 for an almost new (less then 20 rds fired when I bought it) completely tuned and upgraded Remington 1911 (wilson Beavertail, Hammer and Trigger) that has been professionally tuned and has an unbelievably nice trigger. Oh and I got 8 magazines with it.

That's the beauty of the 1911.... If you're merely a fan of the pistol, and want one that functions, you can buy a new RIA for a nice deal. It won't carry the provenance and history of a GI issue pistol, but you have that classic Browning gun in your hand anyways.

Then collectors that enjoy having a pistol that maybe was at Guadalcanal, but was more likely pushing paper in DC, can pay for their history piece that will sit in a safe getting fondled until the owner dies. Yes, they will all be purchased, probably within days, even at what I think are excessive prices.

But look at what all milsurps are doing in price.... And I seem to recall a forum of members telling someone that complained about being priced out of milsurps to go cry them a river. I guess most of the people don't think the govt should follow the same market forces. Yeah, maybe we paid for them in 1924, but the gooberment should recover as much as possible from any of their assets just as the private collectors you want to get that sweet Remington Rand 1911 from. This assumes they'll put the funds to use and not squander them. Naive, of course.

I would never pay these prices but that's because I don't have a need to complete my collection with US hardware. It would be nice to, but I don't expect the US govt to fund my collection by subsidizing historical pieces.

A couple of years ago a new member here was selling a 1944 Remington Rand for only $275.00.
Seems some relative started sanding off the slides finish and quit before they ruined it.
I had Velzey re-park it and I'm thoroughly pleased with the outcome.

remington rand 002.JPG

Back when I used to go over to the CMP forums, there was always the discussion there as to whether they sold stuff too cheap or too expensive. Can't win either way.

Too cheap? Yes, some people complained they were too cheap. The M1s and ammo was enough under market value that apparently there was a bit of a cottage industry where a lot of guys would buy as many rifles and ammo as they were allowed, then resell them at gun shows for a profit. If they're just going to sell at "wholesale" so a few gun show wheeler-dealers can make extra beer money, then they might as well raise their prices. That's the argument anyway.

What I was told was that they deliberately priced their 1911s close enough to "full retail" that there wouldn't be enough profit margin for the gun show resellers to be interested. The CMP says that they don't exist to give anyone a "good deal". Yeah, I think they'll all sell. The supply is low and the hype is high. I imagine that if they sell as fast as I expect, they will re-evaluate and raise the price for next year's supply.

Either way it's all irrelevant to me as they're out of my price range.It would be nice to have an old GI 1911, but I don't need one that bad. There are lots of folks out there with deeper pockets than me that need them a lot worse.

Prices seem to be collector prices for sure... I can go get a new Colt or pair of Remington's for $1K...

I appreciate history and what those pistols may have been through, but unfortunately, they can't tell me the things they've seen and done...
There's a 100,000 of them out there. I'm sure they've all got a story...or not.

pretty expensive for a non-profit focused on training shooters. Even at $850 that's almost $7 million worth. The government gives them to CMP right? Sounds like the mission is to profit off of a collectible firearm sold to collectors rather than train civilians. whatever

Perhaps this pricing will keep the "flippers" out of the loop.

Best,
Gary

$850 for rack grade?! Pass! Damn, I was looking forward to these too. But my value of them doesn't match their inflated asking price. :(

Sadly it's supply and demand my friend. The days of seeing a decent or better Mil Surp for what a new 1911 goes for are long gone and will never return. Just not enough of them left and too many who want one. Wish I had kept at least one of mine too but if I had I would be not wanting to shoot it now. A couple of those I had that were in super great shape would be worth so much now I would feel bad shooting it. Ever look at these on the auction and see what they go for now? Even the Remington Rand bring huge money now compared to a few decades ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top