JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
keep wondering how deep into later generations this fascination with the event will endure. It hasn't taken a break yet. Continued price support on this basis isn't certain but probable for some time to come.
Think what drove the milsurp market in the last two decades. It wasn't people's fascination wiht history for history's sake. It was Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Call of Duty, World of Tanks... pop culture. As long as holywood and silcon valley keeps pumping action packed ww2 pieces, people will want to buy ww2 guns.

I don't get the guns as an investment mentality. With the rare exception they are tools to be used and enjoyed. If holding a piece of history is enjoyable for you then get it. If shooting a piece of history when imagining the stories it could tell then get it. But if you are worried that you'll not make or even lose money on it then don't buy it. Go buy a '65 Mustang instead.
As the owner of a '68, I lose $1000 every time I look at the thing!

I don't get the guns as an investment mentality. With the rare exception they are tools to be used and enjoyed. If holding a piece of history is enjoyable for you then get it. If shooting a piece of history when imagining the stories it could tell then get it. But if you are worried that you'll not make or even lose money on it then don't buy it. Go buy a '65 Mustang instead.
Guns are some of the worst investments I've ever made. Their value doesn't go up very much over time and almost always at a slower rate than inflation. They're also some of the best purchases I've ever made.
Firearms are assets, so they have book value. Like any asset if you sell it too quickly you will lose money. I've found if you can hold milsurps for 7-10 years you will come out ahead. Although I agree you should not buy milsurps with profit in mind. Milsurps are meant to be enjoyed above all.

FWIW a lot of the more rare Century Arms/James River/Atlantic Firearms Mfg. builds and other kit built AKs (like East German stuff) have appreciated a lot faster than Milsurps. There has been a big movement in recent years towards retro and nostalgia firearms. Uzis are a good example of this. Heavy, finicky, and obsolete by comparison to modern PCCs but you cannot touch one for less than $1500 on Gunbroker.

Think what drove the milsurp market in the last two decades. It wasn't people's fascination wiht history for history's sake. It was Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Call of Duty, World of Tanks... pop culture. As long as holywood and silcon valley keeps pumping action packed ww2 pieces, people will want to buy ww2 guns.
Especially video games. That whole industry is bigger than Hollywood now.

Last Edited:
I bought one mostly because I carried one at different times in the Corps. I'm not excited about it now that I have it, so I will be selling it and hope to get most of my money back.
The CMP thought there were going to be more buyers than 1911's, so they initiated one 1911 purchase per lifetime. Sales didn't go so great, now they allow a person to buy a second one. The CMP priced them too high for the condition they're being sold. A person gets a better buy from an auction or gun sale. That has pretty much been the thoughts on the CMP forum about the 1911's.

I bought one mostly because I carried one at different times in the Corps. I'm not excited about it now that I have it, so I will be selling it and hope to get most of my money back.
The CMP thought there were going to be more buyers than 1911's, so they initiated one 1911 purchase per lifetime. Sales didn't go so great, now they allow a person to buy a second one. The CMP priced them too high for the condition they're being sold. A person gets a better buy from an auction or gun sale. That has pretty much been the thoughts on the CMP forum about the 1911's.
I'd love to see photos of what you received. Which round did you get yours and what grade did you pick?

-E-

I got it on the second round. A service grade. There is nothing wrong with it. It's not pitted or beat up. Many people on the CMP forum advise not shooting them because if the frame cracks, it's done. I buy guns to shoot, not collect. I don't want to buy another set of dies to load mild loads.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top