JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Hi All,

I have a 513T that I picked up a few years back. It was in a cut down (for a kid) and had weight added to the hollowed back end of the stock and a under rail added for match shooting.

Anyway, I picked up a used government trainer stock, spent some time getting out all the oil, etc. I could low heat and non-chemical methods, and the markings look pretty clear.

I like the patina (even that dark thumb oil spot on the fore end lol) and would like to keep it as is. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a sealer, polish, wax, procedure etc. that would keep it looking like a matt finish?

Thanks, S.Paw

IMG_0398.jpg IMG_0399.jpg

Congratulations, those 513's are fun rifles with a great heritage. They dont make them like that any more.

If its an early 'Government Property' model I would just rub it down with a few coats of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO). That was the common way to finish and preserve military stocks in the 40's and 50's. Check out You Tube or do a search on CMP website and you can get loads of pointers.
Some people will advise Tung Oil which is also a period correct finish -> but many of the modern over the counter so called Tung oil finishes arent pure tung oil and will give you a shiny finish.

BLO does require a bit of maintenance though. If you use it a lot, every few years it pays to refresh the coat with a BLO rub down. The other good thing about BLO is it is very easy to touch up a stock that gets worn or scratched.

Congratulations, those 513's are fun rifles with a great heritage. They dont make them like that any more.

If its an early 'Government Property' model I would just rub it down with a few coats of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO). That was the common way to finish and preserve military stocks in the 40's and 50's. Check out You Tube or do a search on CMP website and you can get loads of pointers.
Some people will advise Tung Oil which is also a period correct finish -> but many of the modern over the counter so called Tung oil finishes arent pure tung oil and will give you a shiny finish.

BLO does require a bit of maintenance though. If you use it a lot, every few years it pays to refresh the coat with a BLO rub down. The other good thing about BLO is it is very easy to touch up a stock that gets worn or scratched.
Thank you Sir, sounds like BLO is the ticket for a nice satin finish.
Yeah, I've used the tung oil on a hunting rifle stock that I refinished and wanted a hard shiny finish.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top