JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was about 17 I wanted an 'Army .45' . Well a friend had one he wanted to sell for $250 so I said bring it by. Well he did and in an old leather Army holster was a 1911. I pulled it out, checked it and looked at the side and I remember it clearly showing S. Mfg Co. on it. Well I wanted a 'real' Colt .45 so I passed it by.......

True but what is a car worth that you don't enjoy driving?
Saying this a former owner of a nice old car,nicest car I ever owned by looks,but I hated driving it.
Now I drive something newer that doesn't look even 1/4 as cool but I enjoy driving it.
For an investment I think a car takes up way too much space in my opinion.

I drive this tank around at least one day a week. It sounds and drives like a freight train. 800 HP. Thumbs up everywhere I go and girls practically throw themselves at me much to my wifes chagrin. She calls me a peacock . You don't get that in some new piece of crap.

GL3Kj6.jpg

Bringing this back from the dead!!!!!!!

If all goes as planned, my CMP 1911 arrives on Tuesday after being stuck in BM 114 and OSP purgatory since mid November.

And to those of you saying they are over priced.........

131jjo.jpg

I was amazed how loose the 1911s were when I was in the Navy. It reminded me of a coke can with a loose marble. I never had one that would not fire a cartridge but tier groupings were more like shotgun patterns. For a collector or gun or to build from. They make sense but I would not one unless it was tightened up and I am a fan of the 1911 platform. It is amazing what some are worth

My 1911 a1 issued to me by the USMC in 1966 was a huge POS left over from WWII. I now own a very nice Tisas 1911a1 that is a fine pistol and I paid $430.00 from Buds Gun Shop. Why would anyone want to pay those outrageous prices for what is being advertised as "junk"?

The 1911s I used in the service reminded me of a coke can with a marble in it. They were so loose and worn out that it was amazing they worked. Never had one fail to fire but you never knew exactly where the bullet was going. I made expert but I think it was more luck than skill. They let us use our own 1911 one time for quals and it was an eye opener. We all miraculously improved.

My 1911 a1 issued to me by the USMC in 1966 was a huge POS left over from WWII. I now own a very nice Tisas 1911a1 that is a fine pistol and I paid $430.00 from Buds Gun Shop. Why would anyone want to pay those outrageous prices for what is being advertised as "junk"?
I received my CMP 1911A1 a few weeks ago. Rack Grade 1943 Remington Rand frame with a GI replacement slide. Very tight frame to slide fit.

I did a FOIA request with the Department of Defense on the serial number. It returned.......

10 August 2010 - Army General Supply (Logistics Modernization Program (LMP)
Stock Records), Anniston, Alabama received the weapon from Naval Surface
Warfare Center (NSWC)-Crane, Crane, Indiana.

I now have a FOIA request into the Navy to see where the weapon has been these past few decades.

Your Tisas is most likely a fine pistol. I hear good things about them. However........it will never.....NEEEVVVEEERR....have a military pedigree or any history associated with it. It is simply a less expensive commercial Turkish copy worth exactly what you paid for it.

-E-

oNNYNvg.jpeg

Last Edited:
If what you want is a collector the CMP is the way to go. If you want a shooter there are better guns than those offered by the CMP. Congradularion on a nice collectable. All depends on what you want.

If what you want is a collector the CMP is the way to go. If you want a shooter there are better guns than those offered by the CMP. Congradularion on a nice collectable. All depends on what you want.
Agreed.

The issue is that people try to compare the new shooter guns to the old collectable guns. Seriously.....comparing a newly manufactured Turkish clone to a decades old U.S. military issued firearm is an apples to oranges equation no matter which way you slice it.

-E-

Last Edited:
I received my CMP 1911A1 a few weeks ago. Rack Grade 1943 Remington Rand frame with a GI replacement slide. Very tight frame to slide fit.

I did a FOIA request with the Department of Defense on the serial number. It returned.......

10 August 2010 - Army General Supply (Logistics Modernization Program (LMP)
Stock Records), Anniston, Alabama received the weapon from Naval Surface
Warfare Center (NSWC)-Crane, Crane, Indiana.

I now have a FOIA request into the Navy to see where the weapon has been these past few decades.

Your Tisas is most likely a fine pistol. I hear good things about them. However........it will never.....NEEEVVVEEERR....have a military pedigree or any history associated with it. It is simply a less expensive commercial Turkish copy worth exactly what you paid for it.

-E-

View attachment 1382110
Mine will reliably fire a 230 grain bullet exactly where I want it to go time after time. I shoot my guns. The paperwork that you are so desirous in having doesn't make your overpriced pistol shoot anywhere near as well as mine does. However, you have answered my question about why folks pay as much for these "surplus"' pistols as they do.

My CMP 1911A1 is a great shooter! No rattle frame to slide fit is good and tight. Shoots nice
groups. I download a 230 grain plated bullet for the 45 acp. It is a Field grade Ithaca frame
and Remington Rand slide. It came with a new barrel.
1678627084556.png

Mine will reliably fire a 230 grain bullet exactly where I want it to go time after time. I shoot my guns. The paperwork that you are so desirous in having doesn't make your overpriced pistol shoot anywhere near as well as mine does. However, you have answered my question about why folks pay as much for these "surplus"' pistols as they do.
If you are under the impression that we don't shoot the CMP guns, that is a mistaken assumption with me.

Mine came equipped with a 90s replacement slide and new barrel as well. The newer GI slides and barrels are much more accurate and durable that the WW2 era slides. I have no issue or regret in shooting it. My only complaint (not really a complaint) is that the trigger is a bit on the heavy side, but being that it is a military issue sidearm, that is to be expected.

-E-

I've been watching these since the thought of CMP selling 1911s was just a pipe dream. I wanted to get one, but just haven't been able to justify spending what they cost. I have other 1911s that shoot great, including an inexpensive ATI, and my grandfather's vintage Colt, but I always thought it would be neat to have a real GI 1911 to go with my M1 rifle. I just don't need one bad enough to spend what they cost.

As to whether it's foolish to spend so much on a rattly old gun, when you can get a better shooting modern copy for a fraction of the price? I think you're missing the point completely. Maybe 40 or 50 years ago their primary value was as practical, shooting arms, but we're well past that at this point.

It's like any old firearm. 20 years ago, Mosin-Nagant rifles sold for $50, complete with a bayonet and all the accoutrements. A lot of people bought them because they were cheap and ammo was cheap, and that's about it. People would sporterize (butcher) them and use them as hunting rifles. As a practical arm they're a clunky, ungainly old rifle, and even the cheapest modern hunting rifle is far, far better for that purpose.

Now that they're $400+, nobody in their right mind buys them for that. The people buying them now just want a piece of history, and they do seem to sell. Who would have thought that M1 Carbines would be selling for over a thousand dollars? When I was a kid, they were everywhere, a cheap little rifle that could be had for a hundred bucks easily. Times change.

I've been watching these since the thought of CMP selling 1911s was just a pipe dream. I wanted to get one, but just haven't been able to justify spending what they cost. I have other 1911s that shoot great, including an inexpensive ATI, and my grandfather's vintage Colt, but I always thought it would be neat to have a real GI 1911 to go with my M1 rifle. I just don't need one bad enough to spend what they cost.

As to whether it's foolish to spend so much on a rattly old gun, when you can get a better shooting modern copy for a fraction of the price? I think you're missing the point completely. Maybe 40 or 50 years ago their primary value was as practical, shooting arms, but we're well past that at this point.

It's like any old firearm. 20 years ago, Mosin-Nagant rifles sold for $50, complete with a bayonet and all the accoutrements. A lot of people bought them because they were cheap and ammo was cheap, and that's about it. People would sporterize (butcher) them and use them as hunting rifles. As a practical arm they're a clunky, ungainly old rifle, and even the cheapest modern hunting rifle is far, far better for that purpose.

Now that they're $400+, nobody in their right mind buys them for that. The people buying them now just want a piece of history, and they do seem to sell. Who would have thought that M1 Carbines would be selling for over a thousand dollars? When I was a kid, they were everywhere, a cheap little rifle that could be had for a hundred bucks easily. Times change.
To be clear in my earlier comment; I carried a 1911a1 as my TO&E weapon as a Field Radio Operator in the USMC during the war in Vietnam. I have practical experience with said firearm. My original issue was a WWII relic that was a combination of parts from various manufacturers. It rattled, was very inaccurate and finally was (as all handguns are) strictly a defensive weapon. I managed to have an armorer build me a good gun that was decently accurate and didn't make much noise. These things being said, I managed to kill at least one enemy combatant with this pistol. For some reason he decided to try to run his SKS bayonet through me. There may have been others, but the fog of war and all these passing years have dimmed my memories. The point to my rant is that as a tax payer, I had literally paid for this weapon. Millions of them were made by loads of manufacturers. Military specifications required parts interchangeability between manufacturers. As a result of design tolerances, military specifications and machining tolerances, there was room for a lot of sloppiness. Checkout the tolerances in a German PO8 Lugar or a P-38. I spent the bulk of my civilian career as a Mechanical Engineer (before CNC machining.) Now the CMP is going to sell a lot of these 1911a1 pistols at ridiculous prices to folks who want a piece of history. It seems that the gov't is planning on making money from the citizens that paid for these pistols and I find that unconscionable. Most collectors want numbers matching firearms. I have a complete numbers matching 1954 Chevrolet BelAir. I wouldn't settle for some car that had been thrown together that had a title saying it was a '54 Chevy. I was very puzzled as to why there was so much excitement over the release of these pistols, in light of my statements. You are free to spend as much or as little as you want on whatever you wish to buy, but in a practical sense, you are buying a poorly made (by todays standards) inaccurate pistol that probably spent it's entire service life as a training firearm with either the US military or one of our allies. Most officers and NCO's that were issued these pistols, managed to get their hands on a rifle or shotgun so that they could bring death to the enemy. Shame on the gov't for selling these things. They ought to give them away to any American that wants one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top