JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder if you could buy a vintage Colt SAA with a vintage $20 gold coin? Apples to apples.
Maybe some SAA, but a lot of them can't be purchased with an original $20 gold piece. Original 1st Gen SAA Colts can get some crazy money, even with very little finish left on them!

It was a rhetorical question. My point was just that while the cost of manufacturing, value of gold, and inflation over the years, etc., are interesting to consider, vintage collectibles are a whole different ball of wax. The value of the latter has little relevance to the cost of the former.

Maybe some SAA, but a lot of them can't be purchased with an original $20 gold piece. Original 1st Gen SAA Colts can get some crazy money, even with very little finish left on them!
Priced an MS-64 1884 double eagle lately. You are just talking one kind of collectors item buying another collectors item for values that are approximate. When both were new, they had the same value.

Priced an MS-64 1884 double eagle lately. You are just talking one kind of collectors item buying another collectors item for values that are approximate. When both were new, they had the same value.
As a matter of fact I have, since I own a couple. I check occasionally to see what they're bringing, and they usually bring about 25% over what spot price is for an ounce of gold. Last I checked that was around $2500. So it is higher than a new Colt SAA, but well below almost any original 1st gen Colt SAA, or early 2nd Gen too. And well below any collectible SAA for sale.
Anyone who was smart should have bought an old SAA when they were cheaper. I tried to convince my wife back then that we needed to invest more in old collector firearms, and not gold or the stock market. But she just said I wanted more guns, not a good investment.

It was a rhetorical question. My point was just that while the cost of manufacturing, value of gold, and inflation over the years, etc., are interesting to consider, vintage collectibles are a whole different ball of wax. The value of the latter has little relevance to the cost of the former.
The value of old collector firearms is actually very relevant to their value today. The average $20 gun from the late 1800's has increased in value just like wages have. But those special guns from the late 1800's that only wealthy could afford back then, have increased in value where most are owned by wealthy people today, and still sell for many times the average monthly income they sold for then, and now.
It wasn't unusual for high grade American rifles and handguns back then to sell in the $60-$125 range, and that ruled out purchase by people making $20 a month. But those guns today in nice condition can bring prices in the $6k-$30k range, depending on desirability, and how many are still around in god condition.
I watched more than one old 1800's rifle that was in the $75 range when new sell for close to or over $20k while attending some of the large collector gun shows around the country. In a month I'll be attending the Colorado Collector Show again, and see a number of similar guns sell for huge price tags.

As a matter of fact I have, since I own a couple. I check occasionally to see what they're bringing, and they usually bring about 25% over what spot price is for an ounce of gold. Last I checked that was around $2500. So it is higher than a new Colt SAA, but well below almost any original 1st gen Colt SAA, or early 2nd Gen too. And well below any collectible SAA for sale.
Anyone who was smart should have bought an old SAA when they were cheaper. I tried to convince my wife back then that we needed to invest more in old collector firearms, and not gold or the stock market. But she just said I wanted more guns, not a gooinvestment. I.
I will buy every MS64 1884 double eagle you have at 25% over spot .
You might have low grade coins but just like low grade guns things like year and condition are important. An 1884 in MS64 is a $11000 coin. An 89 in the same condition could fetch $75,000. Your'e talking bullion pricing,. Might as well be talking iron melt price on the SAA's.

Getting back to the point a new SAA cost an ounce of gold in 1884 . A new SAA costs an ounce of gold now. What irrational collectors do to the used stuff market is immaterial to their original prices.

Last Edited:
I remind you that my new Tisas was about $430 out the door and is an excellent shooter. I understand a collector wanting to buy a piece of history, but to me, these are just junk guns being sold to anyone that's willing to pay the asking price. I have black sand from the beaches at Iwo Jima and a piece of shrapnel from Verdun. That, to me, is history.

I remind you that my new Tisas was about $430 out the door and is an excellent shooter. I understand a collector wanting to buy a piece of history, but to me, these are just junk guns being sold to anyone that's willing to pay the asking price. I have black sand from the beaches at Iwo Jima and a piece of shrapnel from Verdun. That, to me, is history.
My 1911A1 may be the old woman at the bar playing video poker, but she's still an actual service pistol and not the Dylan Mulvaney look alike, but really isn't, service pistol. :D

All said in fun. I actually like what Tisas is doing.

-E-

You were able to purchase M1 Service rifles from the DCM after having gone thru one of their courses. I took one of their courses at Douglas Ridge in 1990 and later purchased my first M1, but even then, I remember it being a $200-$300 bill.
My first Garand cost $165, shipping included. US mail to your front door! I had to shoot 3 matches and
be a member of a DCM club. One per life time and it took over a year to get after sending in paperwork.
No 'Service' grade or any other grade. Mine was a excellent condition 1943 SA all original parts. Even an
uncut oprod!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top