JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering applying for a C&R license and ordering a M1 Garand from CMP. I have seen and heard conflicting information on HB1240 and its implications on C&R and specifically the M1. Any lessons learned and advice on this endeavor is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

EDIT: yes im in Washington

m1.JPG

Last Edited:
I looked the other day and the CMP site still says they will ship direct to a c&r in Washington. Plus I believe the Garand doesn't get hit by the new "rules".
Been thinking of grabbing another while I can.
Finding alot more places aren't accepting a c&r just for your info. But its probably worth the 30 bucks it is for a garand through cmp. Saves alot of time and hoops.

I looked the other day and the CMP site still says they will ship direct to a c&r in Washington. Plus I believe the Garand doesn't get hit by the new "rules".
Been thinking of grabbing another while I can.
Finding alot more places aren't accepting a c&r just for your info. But its probably worth the 30 bucks it is for a garand through cmp. Saves alot of time and hoops.
thats my thought, the C&R is cheaper than most FFL transfer fees in my area and it ships to my door. Sounds like a no brainer! some FFLs in my area have said the M1 can no longer be transferred due to HB1240.

The Garand has a handguard that covers the top of the barrel, but that rule only has to do with rifles with a removable magazine. So the Garand ought to be fine with its 10 round fixed magazine.

But some have theorized that the clips might be considered removable feeding devices.

The Garand has a handguard that covers the top of the barrel, but that rule only has to do with rifles with a removable magazine. So the Garand ought to be fine with its 10 round fixed magazine.

But some have theorized that the clips might be considered removable feeding devices.
This has been my experience... an FFL in Port Townsend says they are outright banned.
An FFL in Bremerton says it is unclear and is willing to attempt but if the county denys the background check I will be responsible to return to sender (reasonable)
An FFL in gorst had an M1 ns check denied by Port Orchard police and has had no luck arguing up the ladder with the district/state attorney. They did however say my home county is more reasonable and should attempt.

My thought is a C&R license is similar in cost to a FFl transfer fee and I would not have to have a specific nics check for the M1 in Washington. So as long as CMP will ship I'll be in the clear. As of now they say they will.

Also, the federal rules trump the WA State rules. As an FFL you are governed by the federal rules for yourself. Now if you bought and then tried to sell to a regular resident you might well have issues.

thats my thought, the C&R is cheaper than most FFL transfer fees in my area and it ships to my door. Sounds like a no brainer! some FFLs in my area have said the M1 can no longer be transferred due to HB1240.
As far as I can figure the Garand is about the only M1 not affected (yet). M1a/M14 and Thompson M1 are called out by "name". M1 carbine i don't see mentioned but it hits several of there categories. Removable magazine, centerfire and handguard top and bottom. I think alot of dealers don't understand the new law and are playing safe with its lack of about everything. Can't say I blame them but still frustrating.
Rifle shipments to WA must be made to licensed dealer or may be shipped directly to the customer if a C&R license is provided. Copied off Cmp state requirements page.
This is just my take on this stuff. It maybe that a call or email to cmp for there take could be helpful. Since they are a "government" sponsored/run they seem to stay pretty up on whats legal and not by state.
All I can say ifor sure is this has made me start looking and is going to cost me some money I think!

Also, the federal rules trump the WA State rules. As an FFL you are governed by the federal rules for yourself. Now if you bought and then tried to sell to a regular resident you might well have issues.
That isn't the case with 1240. Doesn't matter what kind of license you have, no imports except for LE/mil contracts.

That isn't the case with 1240. Doesn't matter what kind of license you have, no imports except for LE/mil contracts.
The point is the M1 garand does not clearly fall under purview of HB1240. Different sheriff/police stations have interpreted HB1240 in different ways. With a C&R license it's my understanding the sheriff's office is left out of that discussion and it is up to me and the seller (CMP) to interpret HB1240.

The point is the M1 garand does not clearly fall under purview of HB1240. Different sheriff/police stations have interpreted HB1240 in different ways. With a C&R license it's my understanding the sheriff's office is left out of that discussion and it is up to me and the seller (CMP) to interpret HB1240.
Sure. But it doesn't make what coltemp said generally correct.

I think this is what gets us, from HB1240.
"(9) "Detachable magazine" means an ammunition feeding device that can be loaded or unloaded while detached from a firearm and readily inserted into a firearm. "

For what it's worth since the law took effect, I have purchased an M1 garand from CMP and had it shipped to an FFL without issue. Before purchasing I checked with a different FFL and they were unwilling to accept one, saying the legality is questionable.

For one purchase it might not be worth it but I bet you would use it more than you think. I have had mine for more than 30 years and just had another package arive today.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top