JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you have very deep pockets and I mean deep, take a look at "Jack The Dogs" latest item up for for sale.
It's a rare Singer 1911a1 and Charles Clawson certified it as all original. It's #19 of only 500 made by Singer.
Only 150 are know to exist and is valued at over $75,000.
It's a true Holy Grail firearm and I expect it to pass that estimate.

20180423105510-2037.jpg

I understand the low count items as being wanted/desired etc, but I guess I don't understand the mania over these guns. Are they that much better than what can now be found in a current 1911. (I'm not a big 1911 fan which may explain my confusion) I can see wanting to buy and restore one but at what cost? Are they just a recollection of days gone by? Im not impugning anyone, just don't understand the craze over beat up 45s.

I understand the low count items as being wanted/desired etc, but I guess I don't understand the mania over these guns. Are they that much better than what can now be found in a current 1911. (I'm not a big 1911 fan which may explain my confusion) I can see wanting to buy and restore one but at what cost? Are they just a recollection of days gone by? Im not impugning anyone, just don't understand the craze over beat up 45s.

That is part of the issue, there are enough new 1911s being made that anyone who wants a shooter would be better off with a new one for less money, it isn't like an M1 where your only real choice is vintage.

That is part of the issue, there are enough new 1911s being made that anyone who wants a shooter would be better off with a new one for less money, it isn't like an M1 where your only real choice is vintage.
Yeah for those prices I'd take an Inland MFG,new 1911 instead for $750 and has similar markings but is a new gun.

Yeah but that new car will handle way better.
For looks old school wins hands down everytime,beyond looks new car easily wins.
I say this as someone who has driven both.

But I know which one will be appreciating in value and which one depreciates as soon as you drive it off the dealers lot.

But I know which one will be appreciating in value and which one depreciates as soon as you drive it off the dealers lot.
True but what is a car worth that you don't enjoy driving?
Saying this a former owner of a nice old car,nicest car I ever owned by looks,but I hated driving it.
Now I drive something newer that doesn't look even 1/4 as cool but I enjoy driving it.
For an investment I think a car takes up way too much space in my opinion.

It's all about perspective. If your primary purpose for owning a gun is to shoot then you're better off buying a new one.

A friend of mine is a hunter. A gun is a tool for hunting, and that's it as far as he is concerned. He can't fathom why I like my old rifles, because a new bolt action hunting rifle compared to an old M1 is more accurate, lighter, cheaper, just all around better for his purposes. I have no use for his rifles because I don't hunt. To each their own.

For the record, I totally get wanting to have a WWII 1911 even if it costs more than a new one that is more accurate and reliable, IF you have that kind of money to spend, which I don't. Sometimes it's not about practicality, how it shoots, or even a practical investment. Sometimes it's just about history. Nothing wrong with that.

It's all about perspective. If your primary purpose for owning a gun is to shoot then you're better off buying a new one.

A friend of mine is a hunter. A gun is a tool for hunting, and that's it as far as he is concerned. He can't fathom why I like my old rifles, because a new bolt action hunting rifle compared to an old M1 is more accurate, lighter, cheaper, just all around better for his purposes. I have no use for his rifles because I don't hunt. To each their own.

For the record, I totally get wanting to have a WWII 1911 even if it costs more than a new one that is more accurate and reliable, IF you have that kind of money to spend, which I don't. Sometimes it's not about practicality, how it shoots, or even a practical investment. Sometimes it's just about history. Nothing wrong with that.
I get that and wasn't trying to demean or imply that I thought it was an idiotic thing to want. I'm not a real 1911 guy (though I do own a SS Ruger 10mm) but do understand our attractions to all types of guns. Historical, collection, sport, or hunting..I get it all. Just posing the question to see the replies. Thanks for your input.

No worries. You're way nicer about it than my friend would be. He'd just shake his head and say those people are nuts for paying that much for a junky old gun. :)

As much as I might like to have one, I'm kind of glad they are as expensive as they are. I'm not even slightly tempted to try to buy one!

Most do NOT want to restore one. They just want one that is still as issued or at least close to it. It's like anything no longer made. Price goes up because all of a sudden a lot of people want one. Then there is of course the "collectors". This covers all guns, not just these. I have often said it's not for me, the collecting thing but I sure loved making money off those who are. Have mentioned before long ago had one of those S&W 29's that came in the wood case. It looked to be un fired when I got it. I was not about to shoot it. Bothered me so much I had to go buy another well used one to go play with while I used the still mint one as show. Until one day a "collector" just "had to have it" and paid me very well to get his hands on it. I would guess that it's still to this day never had a round fired out of it. Hey to each his own. :)

I found a nice S&W 29 just like that back in the early '90s, in a beautiful presentation box, deep rich blue, amazing trigger, beautiful uncheckered rosewood grips, looked unfired. I paid $350 for it.

Unlike you I shot the heck out of it. I still have it and still love it but it's far from pristine. Occasionally I wish I had kept it as it was, but if I had I'd never want to shoot it. :)

That rare WW2 Singer I posted about earlier has just topped the 2012 Clawson $75,000 valuation and it still has 12 days to go on the auction.

I found a nice S&W 29 just like that back in the early '90s, in a beautiful presentation box, deep rich blue, amazing trigger, beautiful uncheckered rosewood grips, looked unfired. I paid $350 for it.

Unlike you I shot the heck out of it. I still have it and still love it but it's far from pristine. Occasionally I wish I had kept it as it was, but if I had I'd never want to shoot it. :)

I have never been into a gun to look at. To me it's something fun to use. It's why before the state made it no longer worth it I always looked for what I wanted used. To me the only difference between a new in box gun and a used gun was me getting my hands on it. If it stayed NIB for more than a couple days I could not have really wanted the gun :)
I'm not knocking those who are into the collecting thing, it's just not my thing. In the days of the shows I always LOVED the collectors. it was what made the shows worth going to.

Some of my absolute favorite guns are "cosmetically challenged". They're solid, accurate, reliable guns that I got for a great price because they weren't pretty. It's also nice to not worry about a little ding, scratch, or finish wear.

While I like old guns with history, I'm not really a collector. For one thing I can't afford any valuable collectibles, and for another I also like to shoot them, not just look at them!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top