JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you accept the fact its just a rebuilt WW2 parts gun (maybe) and want a rebuilt WW2 parts gun ( maybe) with all its warts then its the gun for you. If you want a new gun this isn't your gun.
If you're a collector of military guns, or even specifically 1911 type military guns, these aren't for you either. No collector is going to pay these prices for as described guns. It's a crap shoot what you'll get, and descriptions are too vague.
I own a couple WWII era 1911A1's, a 1964 Colt Commercial, and a S&W also. I'd pay more than these for quality, but buying mixed parts junk will likely never be worth more than the asking price in your lifetime, unless you're very young.

I thought you had one Mike.
I have two. One CMP Service Grade, and one the was custom built, by a marine Vet. It has a '53 Win receiver, '44 SA barrel, repro stock and the rest of the parts are Italian BMB that were made during late '40s early '50s. But gosh, still have a desire for another, or more. And an original .30 Carbine would be nice too.

I have two. One CMP Service Grade, and one the was custom built, by a marine Vet. It has a '53 Win receiver, '44 SA barrel, repro stock and the rest of the parts are Italian BMB that were made during late '40s early '50s. But gosh, still have a desire for another, or more. And an original .30 Carbine would be nice too.
I was thinking you had at least one. :s0155:

I'd pay more than these for quality, but buying mixed parts junk will likely never be worth more than the asking price in your lifetime, unless you're very young.
Lol........please name me any mil-surp that has not increased in value these past 3-5 years.

There are already people flipping CMP 1911's on Gun Broker and other forum classifieds for 50%+ above what they bought them for. I witnessed a unhappy buyer who received a Rack Grade Colt frame that came equipped with a 90's replacement slide re-sell it the following day for a $200 increase over what he paid.....with a back-up buyer.

Again, the CMP isn't selling these as collector pieces. I don't know why people can't understand that. The CMP is in the business of selling surplus military firearms. The grade descriptions say exactly what you might receive.

-E-

.please name me any mil-surp that has not increased in value these past 3-5 years.
M1 Carbines have gone up considerably. More exspensive than M1 Garands today?
National Postal Meter
1680882475169.png
The good old days this was less than $200. !
1680882626066.png

M1 Carbines have gone up considerably. More exspensive than M1 Garands today?
National Postal Meter
View attachment 1399337
The good old days this was less than $200. !
View attachment 1399339
On average the Carbines probably do fetch more than the Garands, but even the Garands are selling at higher prices these days. I purchased four Service Grades in late 2021 and 2022 right at the tail end of them being closed out for mail orders. Paid $750 each to the CMP.

I could post them for sale today on the right forums at $1000 each and they would be gone by the days end. I sold one of the four at $1400 but it took four weeks to move.

-E-

Lol........please name me any mil-surp that has not increased in value these past 3-5 years.

There are already people flipping CMP 1911's on Gun Broker and other forum classifieds for 50%+ above what they bought them for. I witnessed a unhappy buyer who received a Rack Grade Colt frame that came equipped with a 90's replacement slide re-sell it the following day for a $200 increase over what he paid.....with a back-up buyer.

Again, the CMP isn't selling these as collector pieces. I don't know why people can't understand that. The CMP is in the business of selling surplus military firearms. The grade descriptions say exactly what you might receive.

-E-
In 45 years of collecting I've seen patterns that have held true for my entire time collecting guns. High on the list is condition, and it will make a collectible firearm slowly increase if it's poor, or not matching parts. And if the quality is great and parts are not mixed, the values will go up quickly.
Yes, these mixed up poor condition guns will eventually go up in price, but nice variations will go up faster, and the values of each will continue to be wider range as each increases in value.
If you're concerned about what you purchase giving you a good return if you ever sold it, then I wont waste my hard earned dollars no such guns.
And as you say, these aren't being sold as collectors pieces. So why pay this price if they aren't collector pieces? There are numerous 1911 style handguns for far less that will be brand new, and better shooters, that aren't collector pieces either.

In 45 years of collecting I've seen patterns that have held true for my entire time collecting guns. High on the list is condition, and it will make a collectible firearm slowly increase if it's poor, or not matching parts. And if the quality is great and parts are not mixed, the values will go up quickly.
Yes, these mixed up poor condition guns will eventually go up in price, but nice variations will go up faster, and the values of each will continue to be wider range as each increases in value.
If you're concerned about what you purchase giving you a good return if you ever sold it, then I wont waste my hard earned dollars no such guns.
And as you say, these aren't being sold as collectors pieces. So why pay this price if they aren't collector pieces? There are numerous 1911 style handguns for far less that will be brand new, and better shooters, that aren't collector pieces either.
That's always the question isn't it. While its going to be a mixed match 1911 supplemented with commercial parts, some part of the firearm served in a war, and to some people that is where the value is. I've been eyeing buying one of the 1911s for this very reason for months now.

When I bought my M1 I could have purchased a rack or rack+ grade and gotten mostly original parts, but it would have needed lots of restoration work. Purchasing an expert model, its got the original action, a new barrel and wood stock. The entire piece didn't go to war, but that isn't a disappointment, I now have a piece of history I can use.

I've bought a lot of surplus guns since I started back in the late '80s. I never had the money to buy nice ones, so I bought the cheap ones.

I made very little when I was younger, didn't have much to spend. When I finally started a career making a decent income, I had a family to support on a single income. So, I never was able to buy the nice condition guns that were the best investment.

I have a safe full of lesser quality guns that haven't appreciated as much as the nicer ones, but I've sure enjoyed them over the years.

That's always the question isn't it. While its going to be a mixed match 1911 supplemented with commercial parts, some part of the firearm served in a war, and to some people that is where the value is. I've been eyeing buying one of the 1911s for this very reason for months now.

When I bought my M1 I could have purchased a rack or rack+ grade and gotten mostly original parts, but it would have needed lots of restoration work. Purchasing an expert model, its got the original action, a new barrel and wood stock. The entire piece didn't go to war, but that isn't a disappointment, I now have a piece of history I can use.
Yes, if it's simply bought because you want a handgun that's been military issue, and you don't care about whether it's matching or not. I own a 1943 dated Remington 1911A1 that is all matching, but was later used by the Marine/Navy Camp Perry team. So it's got a flat mainspring housing, and target sights installed, plus accurized for competition shooting. I know it's not as issued, but it's the best shooting 1911 handgun I own, and I'll never sell it, so value doesn't concern me.
It came to me with lots of history for the owner, and photos of him at Camp Perry and receiving his trophy.

85knjLBl.jpg

Yes, if it's simply bought because you want a handgun that's been military issue, and you don't care about whether it's matching or not. I own a 1943 dated Remington 1911A1 that is all matching, but was later used by the Marine/Navy Camp Perry team. So it's got a flat mainspring housing, and target sights installed, plus accurized for competition shooting. I know it's not as issued, but it's the best shooting 1911 handgun I own, and I'll never sell it, so value doesn't concern me.
It came to me with lots of history for the owner, and photos of him at Camp Perry and receiving his trophy.

View attachment 1403686
Has the slide been lighten for wad cutter target ammo?

Has the slide been lighten for wad cutter target ammo?
No, and I didn't think they did that on guns used at Camp Perry? I think they had minimum velocities for guns used, and they changed the recoil springs instead of altering slides. My Remington came with 4 barrels, and 4 recoil springs. Each barrel is .001" different at the bushing area.
I have a S&W 745 IPSC I shot bullseye matches with, and contacted S&W to talk about altering it for bullseye, which does allow any load levels. The tech at S&W sent me a sset of 5 recoil springs and told me to try each lighter spring until I found which one would handle my 185 gr. SWC loads that were around 650 fps.

I was gifted a 1968 Colt National Match 1911, and it has a factory lightened slide. The recoil spring is around 10 lbs.
Definitely wad cutter use only with that weight of spring. Makes it very easy to rack the slide.
When I first shot the pistol, I didn't know anything about Camp Perry target grade pistols that Colt was replicating in the sixties and shot a couple of mags with standard loads. Luckily, I didn't do any permanent damage to the slide.
I bought an original second generation Colt Ace 22. LR conversion slide, and when coupled with the NM frame makes a super accurate pistol that I use to introduce novice shooters to a 1911.

I was gifted a 1968 Colt National Match 1911, and it has a factory lightened slide. The recoil spring is around 10 lbs.
Definitely wad cutter use only with that weight of spring. Makes it very easy to rack the slide.
When I first shot the pistol, I didn't know anything about Camp Perry target grade pistols that Colt was replicating in the sixties and shot a couple of mags with standard loads. Luckily, I didn't do any permanent damage to the slide.
I bought an original second generation Colt Ace 22. LR conversion slide, and when coupled with the NM frame makes a super accurate pistol that I use to introduce novice shooters to a 1911.
Along with my 1943 Camp Perry .45, I also received a 1964 Colt Commercial .45 and a NIB Colt Ace conversion kit with receipt dated the same era. If I recall the Ace conversion receipt in the box was something under $70? I put the conversion on the colt Commercial just to see how it went together, then took it off and put the kits away for safe keeping. I have some accurate bullseye match pistols in .22LR, so no reason to shoot the Ace.

1occjZ4l.jpg
u9xbh0xl.jpg
vPUz7i8l.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads