JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Venison tenderloin with a favorite spice rub
Baked potato with sour cream and chives
grilled asparagus
Caesar salad
Left Hand Brewing 'Double Milk Stout'

That seems about right.
Hungry Chef GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Man.... supposed to go catch some crab for Christmas dinner tomorrow. High slack is just past 1am... and it's going to be friggin miserable with this cold snap.

(Better take a spare bottle of Pendletons) 👍

Remind me again what's to love about Christmas!?!?

Does the beef come with Yorkshire pudding?
I did that two years ago just to try. Came out pretty good. I can now say I ate my pudding because I ate my beef. (Pink Floyd reference)
Fred Meyer prime rib 4.97 a pound after digi coupon 24.5 pounds normally $395 in my cart today for under $125:s0151:
Sale good till the 20th!!!!

View attachment 1331945
Darn good price. I think I paid 13.99 a pound for choice at Costco.
View attachment 1332000

Just got 6 or 7 fresh cooked crab dropped off. Kinda early for Christmas, but a spectacular surprise all the same.
Got a few of these to serve with the beef for the wife.

We have been doing a rib roast for the last 5 years. It's sort of a Christmas present to ourselves as it is always at least $80-150 depending on how big of a roast I get.

I love prime rib, but the leftovers are the best. Usually the second night we "season and sear" a few steaks cut from the roast. Seasoned with a rub I replicate close to Outback's steak seasoning and seared on a flat top. If I do my job right the rib roast usually has a 4-6" portion in the center at rare to medium rare so that the seared steaks get to medium. Yep, now I'll be thinking about that all day.

16F665D7-1AEE-4259-8025-10F5B8ABA595.jpeg 2594B6A7-4B1C-4D5C-8295-43FB7C10A27E.jpeg

We have been doing a rib roast for the last 5 years. It's sort of a Christmas present to ourselves as it is always at least $80-150 depending on how big of a roast I get.

I love prime rib, but the leftovers are the best. Usually the second night we "season and sear" a few steaks cut from the roast. Seasoned with a rub I replicate close to Outback's steak
I'm going to try that, thanks 👍

I'm going to try that, thanks 👍
I worked at outback during my high school days. Learned a lot about food prep and cooking. My absolute favorite thing there was season and seared prime rib. I don't think it's on their menu anymore, but it can always be requested. There are many copy cat recipes online for outback's steak seasoning.

I worked at outback during my high school days. Learned a lot about food prep and cooking. My absolute favorite thing there was season and seared prime rib. I don't think it's on their menu anymore, but it can always be requested. There are many copy cat recipes online for outback's steak seasoning.
You can still order it that way at the Vancouver location, I am not crazy about it but my son sure is.
I like the way they season and prepare the ribeye though, much better than the new york I just had at the new Vancouver El Gaucho (gougo). Was over cooked, dry and tough without much flavor.

The worst part is it was $72 for a steak with no side. Had many anniversary dinners at the Portland location and it was always fantastic. We won't go near downtown any more though.

Sad that they fell below Outback.

You can still order it that way at the Vancouver location, I am not crazy about it but my son sure is.
I like the way they season and prepare the ribeye though, much better than the new york I just had at the new Vancouver El Gaucho (gougo). Was over cooked, dry and tough without much flavor.

The worst part is it was $72 for a steak with no side. Had many anniversary dinners at the Portland location and it was always fantastic. We won't go near downtown any more though.

Sad that they fell below Outback.
We used to go Fogo de Chão for Thanksgiving - the food was good there and you pretty much got whatever meat you wanted, how you wanted it, and as much as you wanted, along with a buffet. I stopped going there after my mom died on thanksgiving weekend, but maybe will again if Portland ever gets control of downtown. They have valet parking so it isn't bad as long as you are in the restaurant, but I want to get my CHL before I got downtown again.

I've only tried outback a couple of times and that was many years ago. I was never at all impressed. Tender, yes, but mainly just seasoning flavors and not much "beef" flavor. No idea how they do theirs these days, or if it's changed, but someone working there at the time said the steaks were kept in a water bath. That's how the make them so tender.

To me... it was no wonder there wasn't much flavor... it had all been blanched out... and it seemed kind of gimmicky inflating a piece of meat up to "whatever" ounce steak you ordered that's a bunch of water weight. Profitable, surely, but I'll take genuine flavor over tenderness.

Different strokes. I'm a simple person that appreciates simple flavors. I like my beef to taste like beef...not heavy seasoning profiles... and saucing a steak is the best way to ruin one, IMHO.

Last Edited:
I've only tried outback a couple of times and that was many years ago. I was never at all impressed. Tender, yes, but mainly just seasoning flavors and not much "beef" flavor. No idea how they do theirs these days, or if it's changed, but someone working there at the time said the steaks were kept in a water bath. That's how the make them so tender.

To me... it was no wonder there wasn't much flavor... it had all been blanched out... and it seemed kind of gimmicky inflating a piece of meet up to "whatever" ounce steak you ordered that's a bunch of water weight. Profitable, surely, but I'll take genuine flavor over tenderness.

Different strokes. I'm a simple person that appreciates simple flavors. I like my beef to taste like beef...not heavy seasoning profiles... and saucing a steak is the best way to ruin one, IMHO.
I worked there from 2002 to 2005. The one I worked at was one of the best in the country at that time. The proprietor was a really cool guy and he ran that restaurant like a French restaurant. We competed regularly with one in New Orleans for top sales on the competition days (that's what they called holidays). Mother's Day was the number one day for the franchise. They opened early that day, this was before some stores started serving lunch. We won twice while I was there for top sales on Mother's Day. It was a lot of fun working there.

I haven't a clue how they are run now, but back then steaks were delivered twice a week. They were USDA choice cuts. The prime rib loins were USDA prime. The rib eyes were cut from these loins. All were vacuum packed. We only opened a certain amount daily based on the average sales for that day based on yearly sales. The rib roasts started at 3-4am. They had their own rub, I'm not sure what it was as I never started the rib roasts when I worked the morning shifts. I made all the dressings and prepped the salad for the evening shifts. All of the raw opened steaks were in a fridge right next to the flat top, it was set to 60 or so degrees if I recall. That was supposed to help the steak breathe. The flat top was set to 550. Though it had gradients the closer to the edges. I was trained a specific way to dust the raw steaks so a certain amount of seasoning was added at all times. A scoop of melted butter would go down on the flat top, then the steak, then a steak weight.

I enjoyed working there. It shaped the way I food. I definitely learned a lot about meat and what makes a good steak and what makes a bad steak.

These days, if I want good steak I buy either costcos USDA prime (usually rib eye) or USDA choice dry aged ribeye from Fred Meyers. I don't hunt anymore, but a whole elk blackstrap roast is always acceptable too.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top