JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The '70's were fun. Being in the 70's age group is not fun.

1673030655172.jpeg

After Christmas is a good time to look for specials on hams and turkeys. Some good sales going on. We got a couple of turkey breasts for 99 cents a pound several days ago. I got one of those fancy Boar's Head brand smoked pork flanks for half price.

With the remains of the Christmas ham, we made navy beans and ham and ate those for days straight.

Sure! We can both wander around Poulsbo asking each other, "you know where you're at? I don't recognize this AT ALL." ;)
I missed the turn from the Kingston/Edmonds (Seattle) Ferry to Poulsbo. There used to be a little store and a long time ago had a gas station on the corner that I used as a landmark. It is now gone or overgrown with bushes and blackberries. I blew right past the turn. My Sister was following me and flashed her brights. I turned around and eventually made it. She now lives in Snohomish.

Things have really changed. Don't get me started on the new sections of highway 3.

I used to be able to lose LE in a heartbeat on the back-roads. Now I would just get lost.

Last Edited:
I lived just to the South of Keyport for about 5 years. Trying to get out on the road at quitting time was impossible.
I was home ported in Bremerton at the end of the 70's and did explore some, even went to the Widby Island Folk Festaval once but honestly was more interested in cheap beer and west-pac widows.

I was home ported in Bremerton at the end of the 70's and did explore some, even went to the Widby Island Folk Festaval once but honestly was more interested in cheap beer and west-pac widows.
Radiation Protection Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (PSNS) 1978-1979. Mostly worked on the Enterprise.

I missed the turn from the Kingston/Edmonds (Seattle) Ferry to Poulsbo. There used to be a little store and a long time ago had a gas station on the corner that I used as a landmark. It is now gone or overgrown with bushes and blackberries. I blew right past the turn. My Sister was following me and flashed her brights. I turned around and eventually made it. She now lives in Snohomish.

Things have really changed. Don't get me started on the new sections of highway 3.

I used to be able to lose LE in a heartbeat on the back-roads. Now I would just get lost.
The store you're referring to sounds like Striebel's. Striebel's Corner.
It's now an intersection with a light.
The store and gas station are still there, but its a completely different building. The same people who turned Hilltop Tavern into a gas station/store, acquired the business from Striebel (although they still own the property) and built a whole new place there in the mid 90's.
Their deli is very popular with the locals.
...or...
Were you referring to Smiley's gas station?
That was the gas station in Kingston that you went past right after getting off the boat.
Their tanks went TU in the 80's and Smiley tried to make due without gas, and turned it into a store. No one came out. He closed it down and these days its a great little burger place, called The Grub Hut.
Been a LOT of changes around here since the 70's. (btw, becareful driving down Bond Road. A lot of it is 45 now. 70 mph speed limit that used to be on that road went away a long time ago.)
To get from Poulsbo from the Kingston ferry dock, just stay on the road. It's a straight shot from one town, to the other.

Last Edited:
Uss Camden (Aoe-2) '76-79 We were in dry dock most of '78. Had me a little fire engine red '65 Mustang.
I've been sporting a white 65 Mustang since 83. It was the replacement for the one I crashed earlier that year and had owned since 81.

Still have yours?

I've been sporting a white 65 Mustang since 83. It was the replacement for the one I crashed earlier that year and had owned since 81.

Still have yours?
Nope long gone, when I got divorced I could only take one vehicle and everything I owned fit in my '63 Chevy Pick up but not in the Mustang so I sold it for traveling money. 20/20 hind-sight it was worth a lot more than the 6cyl pickup. Mustang was a 289 hi-pro/ 4 speed car.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews