JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just finishing packing up and headed out tomorrow morning. Hoping for a good trip, he's never hunted before but at 13 years old is ready. The travel trailer will be loaded heavy with our gear and my good friend with his son's gear too, hope the 935 ft/lbs of torque will handle the hills, LOL. Eating at the Cowboy Dinner Tree Friday eve, first time there as well. Wish us luck, pics to come!

Nice!!

Took my son out when he turned 12:

29BD7C94-8A8E-428B-9592-65DED6A0F252.jpeg

What are you hunting for?
This is my favorite part of this once great state, hunting is going to be a bonus. I used to hunt sage rats here a couple decades back with tremendous luck but it has been dismal the last ten years or so, I really don't care. We are just looking for time away from reality for some R&R. My friend is bringing a predator call though, I've never used one so if we can call in some coyotes that would be fun. Rabbits have been sparse for years too but who knows, this may be the year for an uptick. It's been several years since my cancer surgery and my first time able to go back to my favorite place, any hunting will be a bonus.

This is my favorite part of this once great state, hunting is going to be a bonus. I used to hunt sage rats here a couple decades back with tremendous luck but it has been dismal the last ten years or so, I really don't care. We are just looking for time away from reality for some R&R. My friend is bringing a predator call though, I've never used one so if we can call in some coyotes that would be fun. Rabbits have been sparse for years too but who knows, this may be the year for an uptick. It's been several years since my cancer surgery and my first time able to go back to my favorite place, any hunting will be a bonus.
Coyotes should be good this time of year, use the pup distress call, that should bring them in. I Ike the distressed house cat one too. Had a cougar come in on a Coyote set a couple years ago using that, east of the lost forest

Christmas Valley was one of the "land scams" in the 50's-'60's, with magazine advertisements showing "Florida-esque" scenes of boating, swimming, etc. in order to sell the parcels.

When I went there regularly in the '70's and '80's, the "city blocks" (of dirt roads in grid-pattern) were evident, along with weather-beaten, broke down street signs of paradise-like names. Jackrabbits the only residents.

Everytime I hear the U2 song "Where the Streets Have No Name", I think of Christmas Valley.

The Silver Lake Cemetery is a worthwhile visit, where you can see numerous headstones with the same date, including women and children. The whole town burned to the ground at one point (I believe it was on Christmas day?) , with heavy casualties.

Fort Rock formation is worth seeing as well. Some of the earliest evidence of ancient Bering Land Bridge migrants was found there (sandal/moccasins).

As to Coyote calling, the very first rule is DON"T DO IT HALF-AZZ! Take all precautions in selecting location and approach, utilize all camo/cover/concealment available. It's kind of like getting your vehicle unstuck: Your first effort has to be your VERY best. If you neglect this rule, you might as well just hand out diplomas to the Coyotes.

I envy you, and the boy will be forever wanting to go back. :D

Christmas Valley was one of the "land scams" in the 50's-'60's, with magazine advertisements showing "Florida-esque" scenes of boating, swimming, etc. in order to sell the parcels.

When I went there regularly in the '70's and '80's, the "city blocks" (of dirt roads in grid-pattern) were evident, along with weather-beaten, broke down street signs of paradise-like names. Jackrabbits the only residents.

Everytime I hear the U2 song "Where the Streets Have No Name", I think of Christmas Valley.

The Silver Lake Cemetery is a worthwhile visit, where you can see numerous headstones with the same date, including women and children. The whole town burned to the ground at one point (I believe it was on Christmas day?) , with heavy casualties.

Fort Rock formation is worth seeing as well. Some of the earliest evidence of ancient Bering Land Bridge migrants was found there (sandal/moccasins).

As to Coyote calling, the very first rule is DON"T DO IT HALF-AZZ! Take all precautions in selecting location and approach, utilize all camo/cover/concealment available. It's kind of like getting your vehicle unstuck: Your first effort has to be your VERY best. If you neglect this rule, you might as well just hand out diplomas to the Coyotes.

I envy you, and the boy will be forever wanting to go back. :D
I've been going there over twenty years now, he's finally old enough to join the boys. We're about 20lbs from pulling out and headed East

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top