JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
KFC is actually the traditional Christmas meal, not karage chicken. Some genius at KFC Japan nailed it in te 70's. I just don't like KFC, so Popeyes it is. I rat karate pretty regularly, and it's no substitute for Popeyes... 🤣😉
That must be a honshu big city thing. They're weird...! 🤣

I've never heard of it, but then again, my family is from Southern Kyushu. KFC isn't very widespread or popular. "Fried chicken" always means karage. It sounds interesting though and did some reading up on the history of it. They quoted about 3.6mil people follow that tradition each year... so.... considering the total population that means only about 3% of Japanese observe a "traditional KFC Christmas meal".

No wonder I've never heard of it.;)

Last Edited:
Interesting thread and posts about traditions and foods. 👍

Neighbors came by with cookies yesterday; I have the best neighbors here - always offering to help, always pleasant, never troublesome. Mostly leave me alone knowing I am a loner but quick to help out if I need it. Neighbors who moved to MT even sent me a XMas card.

Going to be sad to move when I sell. :oops:

That must be a honshu big city thing. They're weird...! 🤣

I've never heard of it, but then again, my family is from Southern Kyushu. KFC isn't very widespread or popular. "Fried chicken" always means karage. It sounds interesting though and did some reading up on the history of it. They quoted about 3.6mil people follow that tradition each year... so.... considering the total population that means only about 3% of Japanese observe a "traditional KFC Christmas meal".

No wonder I've never heard of it.;)
All this talk of chicken and not once did I see the phrase Shoyu Chicken or the word Donburi mentioned.

....*sigh*, 1/2 my culture is losing its identity. :s0107:

Interesting thread and posts about traditions and foods. 👍

Neighbors came by with cookies yesterday; I have the best neighbors here - always offering to help, always pleasant, never troublesome. Mostly leave me alone knowing I am a loner but quick to help out if I need it. Neighbors who moved to MT even sent me a XMas card.

Going to be sad to move when I sell. :oops:
You are a blessed being, Heretic. Merry Christmas. =)

All this talk of chicken and not once did I see the phrase Shoyu Chicken or the word Donburi mentioned.

....*sigh*, 1/2 my culture is losing its identity. :s0107:
Donburi just means a rice bowl style of dish, but Oyakodon is very common.. although that's just simmered chicken, not fried. Tons of different donburi variations though with a wide selection of main ingredient.

Christmas isn't, overall, really much of big deal considering not many in Japan are christian. Just another normal work day and many don't really do much other than maybe a birthday christmas cake (because it's jesus's birthday... right!). ;) An excuse for a gathering or drinking party, yeah.

Young people make more of a big deal of it, but I think it's more as a novelty and using it as any excuse to party than what it represents to western countries.🤣

I think larger East coast cities that are more westernized make more of a big deal of it and many of those cities will have a section of town with outdoor lights and displays... but in comparison to western countries, its not a widespread phenomenon.

I think what many don't realize too is that there is really two Japans. The westernized big cities... and.... the vastly greater majority that makes up everyone else. Not unlike what we have in OR. Portland vs. all the rest of OR that does not have the same values or community culture. So viewing all Japanese base on what the world sees of cities like Tokyo doesn't really represent what may be more "typical Japanese" just like only viewing Oregonians by looking only at Portland isn't a true representation of the majority of the state.

Last Edited:
.... to add... most "typical" Japanese don't like cities like Toyko any more than "typical" Oregonians don't like Portland... and wouldn't hurt my feelings if they both fell off into the Pacific. Portland first if I can only choose one, though. :s0140: :s0140:

Donburi just means a rice bowl style of dish, but Oyakodon is very common.. although that's just simmered chicken, not fried. Tons of different donburi variations though with a wide selection of main ingredient.

Christmas isn't, overall, really much of big deal considering not many in Japan are christian. Just another normal work day and many don't really do much other than maybe a birthday christmas cake (because it's jesus's birthday... right!). ;) An excuse for a gathering or drinking party, yeah.

Young people make more of a big deal of it, but I think it's more as a novelty and using it as any excuse to party than what it represents to western countries.🤣

I think larger East coast cities that are more westernized make more of a big deal of it and many of those cities will have a section of town with outdoor lights and displays... but in comparison to western countries, its not a widespread phenomenon.

I think what many don't realize too is that there is really two Japans. The westernized big cities... and.... the vastly greater majority that makes up everyone else. Not unlike what we have in OR. Portland vs. all the rest of OR that does not have the same values or community culture. So viewing all Japanese base on what the world sees of cities like Tokyo doesn't really represent what may be more "typical Japanese" just like only viewing Oregonians by looking only at Portland isn't a true representation of the majority of the state.
...and yet, through all of that, not once was the phrase Shoyu Chicken or the word Donburi mentioned, until I noted that.
Like I said, 1/2 my culture is losing its identity. :s0002:

...and yet, through all of that, not once was the phrase Shoyu Chicken or the word Donburi mentioned, until I noted that.
Like I said, 1/2 my culture is losing its identity. :s0002:
I can take a guess. It's a christmas supper thread and neither shoyu chicken nor any donburi would be considered having a thing to do with christmas?

Kinda like, we're in the U.S. and I haven't seen any mention of pizza or hot dogs, either. ;)

I wouldn't get too concerned about having half of your cultural identity marginalized just yet.

1671497948470.png

You should definitely order it at a restaurant once or twice before you put in the effort of cooking one.
You might just not like it.
I don't care for duck.
I went Duck Hunting once when I had to de-feather the duck and gut clean it .
Never went Duck hunting again a lot of work for very little meat.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top