JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have a wife/spouse/significant other that also has a CCW? I have mine and my wife has shown some interest in getting hers but hasn't made it a priority. What made your spouse get one? Mine says she is fine since I have mine but I can't be around 100% of the time obviously.

Yes, my wife just got hers about 2 months ago. I thought it a good idea in the event she might be driving either one of our cars and got pulled over by the po-po with a weapon in the car. Or if I wanted her to carry my weapon, (or hers), in her purse. Certainly can't hurt to have it!
Bumpy

My wife has had one for years,got them when we were doing shows and packing money.. kept it up she said she wanted to be able to protect the kids..

Get your wife into a decent firearms training course and leave it alone.

She'll carry or she won't. That decision is very unlikely to have anything to do with what you say or suggest. But getting her some good training will educate her on the subject far better than you could hope to do and make it MORE likely that she'll decide to carry.
OFA and SFA are both very good. If you're anywhere near Yakima, you can PM me. My wife and I train dozens of women every year.

I agree with Misterbill. My wife wanted to get her permit so I steered her to the OFA class and bought her the gun she wanted. She doesn't carry regularly but I don't push it. She has taught womens self defense seminars and knows to be aware (and wary) of her surroundings and that she can fight back. And now I've started to take an interest in martial arts because a gun won't solve every problem.

Mine took the class with me and got hers with me. She now carries it wherever she goes and she has it within hand's reach whenever home. I think that has been primarily due to many of the articles I've shared with her and also her brother-in-law who has been a CHL carrier for quite some time. His added "suggestions" helped her with it. And we finally found the best gun for her (M&P Shield 9mm), and she loves shooting it and even just went to the range with me tonight. She was nailing the body target with quite the precision. Don't know how she does it but whenever I fire her gun I'm always low left. :winkkiss:

My wife has her CHL, and she is starting to carry more and more. She started carrying in her purse, but she has recently tried carrying it on her body and it is going good. Her biggest fear was her mother would see it (She is pretty anti-gun, her dad had a hunting accident that left him with poor health all through his life. There is no turning her at this point.) My wife carried when she went shopping for plants for mothers day with her mom, and nobody was the wiser, so she is getting more confident. I sure feel better with her being able to protect herself. With her job, it is not uncommon to have to go to peoples houses to do demonstrations or set-up equipment for elderly or disabled, and she has had some interesting experiences.

I wanted to add that my wife enjoyed the OFA basic handgun class immensely. We were going to take defensive handgun together but the schedule didn't work with her getting pregnant this year. I asked her about why she isn't carrying more often right now and she said it was due to her wardrobe while pregnant (no belt). Maybe we need to find a better purse for her :).

Which reminds me, I'd like to hear what carry method your wives have found work well (or if it's a thread hijack I can open another tread).

if the two of you don.t shoot together often or she hasn.t shot alot, a training course is a great idea. builds confidence and familiarity with firearms. my wife and I took the oregon class for our chl 7 or 8 years ago and utah class 2 years ago. she carries when she or we go out of town. it is a good idea for woman to train and be comfortable with their pistol. it mad mad world out there. and I hope none of us ever has to use their cc guns. but it sure beats the alternatives. good luck and be there to answer any of her questions or concernes.
I have gotten her a couple purses, shoulder bags (one strap over opposite shoulder) and right & left iwb holsters, one for small of back and other for crossdraw. the lefty works great for sb, she doesn't have to twist her wrist as much to reach the grip face strong side.

My wife was the same way, said she was fine because I had mine. I didn't really do anything to change it, she just eventually realized I wasn't always there. Unfortunately that mostly had to do with a stalker though, so I can't take credit for it.

Hazard of assisting down on their luck veterans I guess. PTSD can do strange things to otherwise good people...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I wanted to add that my wife enjoyed the OFA basic handgun class immensely. We were going to take defensive handgun together but the schedule didn't work with her getting pregnant this year. I asked her about why she isn't carrying more often right now and she said it was due to her wardrobe while pregnant (no belt). Maybe we need to find a better purse for her :).

Which reminds me, I'd like to hear what carry method your wives have found work well (or if it's a thread hijack I can open another tread).

My wife carries her LCP in a Remora holster. She uses it in her purse, jacket pocket, as well as IWB and it works great. She really likes how easy it is to put on and that she can use it in so many ways. She carries IWB in the appendix position, 1:00 - 1:30 and it disappears under even fairly tight shirts and jeans.

My wife took the course with me, we both got our permit in feb-march. She hasn't started carrying yet, and she wants to take a more in-depth handgun course. Part of the problem is neither of us can carry or bring a weapon at work.

We went shooting a few times up in the coast range. A buddy brought his Ruger SP101 and after firing it, I knew that I must have one for myself. This made my 2nd fireman purchase and I told my husband that I would not buy anymore until I took a class. Went through a class at the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office which enabled me to apply for my concealed.
I don't carry all the time, nor am I allowed to have a weapon at work, but I find it very comforting when I do.

I generally carry on my side but do have a carry purse as well. And yes, my firearm collection has grown since I took the class and received my permit!

Wifey

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR