JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Home Depot ended their veteran's 10% discount last October. I spent roughly $40K there in 2016 remodeling our home. I haven't set foot in their store since. Dropping the veteran's discount seems to be a trend.

As for Cabela's, what you CANNOT get a military/veteran discount on at Cabela's:
  • Yes, there are some exclusions:
  • Firearms
    • Used consignment
    • Long guns/handguns (Used and new)
    • Suppressors (Used and new)
  • Ammunition
  • Black-powder guns and equipment
  • Reloading equipment
  • Air guns
    • Pellets
    • Pistols
    • Scoped and non-scoped rifles
  • Boats, trailers and motors (does not apply to canoes and kayaks)
  • ATVs/UTVs and trailers
  • Tractors
  • Services for boats, ATVs, UTVs and tractors
  • Alcohol
  • Gift cards
  • Non-merchandise services, such as hunting licenses and Gear Guard

I'll take Sportsmans over Cabela's any day. Hell, I'll take Bi-Mart over Cabela's. My sister-in-law always gives me a $50 gift card to Cabela's twice a year. One for my birthday and one for Christmas. I feel awkward in telling her, but I think I may have to.
Also, I hate the smell when I walk into the Cabela's in Tualatin. Am I the only one?

I am not boycotting Cabela's and have nothing against them politically. I just don't prefer to shop there, discount or not. The 5% I get doesn't make up for their inflated prices and the pain of having to fight my way to the gun counter. I would still buy something there online if it's on sale, I just don't want to deal with the "experience" of going there. Argonaut has some great points about their gun library and if that's what you're looking for then party on.

I've found Cabela's to have an excellent selection of ammo, better than Sportsman's. I'm not necessarily commenting on their pricing, just selection. I think their used firearm prices are very high, and I've found new prices generally high as well. They do have excellent optics pricing. You can mostly do better with optics on-line however. Good selection of reloading stuff, once again, a bit high for me. Somebody commented on the parking and I'm only familiar with the Tigard store and I see no difference than Safeway or anywhere else. The few times I've asked for help has been a good experience.

I'll take Sportsmans over Cabela's any day. Hell, I'll take Bi-Mart over Cabela's. My sister-in-law always gives me a $50 gift card to Cabela's twice a year. One for my birthday and one for Christmas. I feel awkward in telling her, but I think I may have to.
Also, I hate the smell when I walk into the Cabela's in Tualatin. Am I the only one?
I find Sportsman's no less expensive than Cabela's and they don't sell the quality guns that Cabela's does.....I can find decent inventories of quality guns at any Cabela's I have been to (I have been to many and I buy few new guns). When you ask Sportsman's about something like a Krieghof or Merkel there eyes glaze over. I do trade with them but there gun rack is pretty much a bust.

Sportsmans has a MUCH better reloading section. Otherwise its Cabellas if I want something off the rack and I want to spend as much as humanly possible. For everything else its the local guys who know me by name.

Sportsmans has a MUCH better reloading section. Otherwise its Cabellas if I want something off the rack and I want to spend as much as humanly possible. For everything else its the local guys who know me by name.
Now that I think about it, mostly what I buy at Sportsman's has been reloading supplies, Filson clothes when they carried them....they closed them out at a great discount......and my Tilley fishing hat.

Another bone I have to pick is about how the cabelas east of the Rockies are much grander and have larger aquariums and taxidermy museum/mountains...
It's almost as if they think outdoorsmen in the PNW aren't serious enough to be fond of such an attraction.
I take offense to your wimpy attempts to impress people in the PNW with your comparatively lame exhibitions.
They're not even making it worth my time to go look and make an impulse buy of some cheap oil marked up to twice it's online value.

Bass pro's HQ is a big illuminati pyramid. Just fyi.
I remember their original store in Springfield, MO. It was about 50 miles north of my marina on Table Rock Lake. Those were the days of massive bass tournaments. I remember once when we green flagged a 600 participant MABFA event. Those boats all taking off at once were quite a sight. That's what built Bass Pro Shops into a large corporation. In those early days they sent a wholesale jobber truck around to try to sell us tackle for our retail store. Their wholesale prices were high even then.

Another bone I have to pick is about how the cabelas east of the Rockies are much grander and have larger aquariums and taxidermy museum/mountains...
It's almost as if they think outdoorsmen in the PNW aren't serious enough to be fond of such an attraction.
I take offense to your wimpy attempts to impress people in the PNW with your comparatively lame exhibitions.
They're not even making it worth my time to go look and make an impulse buy of some cheap oil marked up to twice it's online value.
Those displays are not really for guys like you. Cabelas makes more money (probably by a factor of 10) on yuppie clothing and outdoor equipment than hard core guns and equipment. The displays are eye candy for yuppie kids that haven't seen things like it before. How many times have you seen some grandfather pointing out fish and mounts in the display to a grandkid? Guns don't make much money. Look at the personal required to operate the counter, just there paychecks would be a staggering cost. I was disappointed when Bass Pro bought them. I find the Bass Pro stores to be expensive, they lack the commitment to shooting sports that Cabelas has and are afraid to deal (much) in used guns. There is more profit selling a 130.00 winter sports coat than a 400.00 gun.

Those displays are not really for guys like you. Cabelas makes more money (probably by a factor of 10) on yuppie clothing and outdoor equipment than hard core guns and equipment. The displays are eye candy for yuppie kids that haven't seen things like it before. How many times have you seen some grandfather pointing out fish and mounts in the display to a grandkid? Guns don't make much money. Look at the personal required to operate the counter, just there paychecks would be a staggering cost. I was disappointed when Bass Pro bought them. I find the Bass Pro stores to be expensive, they lack the commitment to shooting sports that Cabelas has and are afraid to deal (much) in used guns. There is more profit selling a 130.00 winter sports coat than a 400.00 gun.
You got me there! There is already a huge niche for that in the PNW...
It would just help me get the SO more interested if their aquarium was less comparable to the one at home.
Didn't say it wasn't a good business move, just said I was more impressed by the store in Kansas and felt a little neglected by Cabelas. LoL

How did you feel about Sportsman's a few years ago when the company was taken over by a British (?) corporation and closed 40% of there Stores? The store here in Idaho (Nampa) sat vacant for years. Actually hasn't been reopened for that long.i seldom see experienced salespeople working there. They seem to prefer hiring young skulls full of mush that they don't have to pay much and do as they are told.

How did you feel about Sportsman's a few years ago when the company was taken over by a British (?) corporation and closed 40% of there Stores? The store here in Idaho (Nampa) sat vacant for years. Actually hasn't been reopened for that long.i seldom see experienced salespeople working there. They seem to prefer hiring young skulls full of mush that they don't have to pay much and do as they are told.
That was and still is upsetting!

Sportsmans was bought by Canadian firm Wholesale Sports. Then they were bought back, no longer Canuckian. Old name, emerged as good or better than before. The buy out by Wholesale Sports came on the verge of bankruptcy for SW, they had to close some stores to stay profitable. Look how long it took Fisherman's Marine to open a westside store in Portland.

And for those complaining about Cabelas or Sportsman's prices - where are you getting gear they sell for less? Yes, Cabelas is high on guns - typically charging MSRP. Thats because they can't / won't do house branded guns. By in large the Cabela's branded gear has been decent quality fir decent price, and their pricing on other gear has been in line with everywhere else I've seen it. Quality on some gear suffered when they moved production offshore, but that happens with every retailer.

Cabelas has a better ammo selection in store than any shop in the metro area, and often has sales on accessories like sights, scopes, mags, stocks etc.

Sportsmans has a decent selection, but not as much. Sportsman's prices on guns are very competitive, but you are at the will of regional buyers moreso than the stores hunting manager. The department managers have limited ability to decide whats stocked and whats not - they have some leeway, but theres red tape for ordering/stocking gear.

It'd be great if we had a big local retailer like GI Joes in its peak again, but it does not seem like anyone can pull it off. National chains get more buying power.

Sportsmans was bought by Canadian firm Wholesale Sports. Then they were bought back, no longer Canuckian. Old name, emerged as good or better than before. The buy out by Wholesale Sports came on the verge of bankruptcy for SW, they had to close some stores to stay profitable. Look how long it took Fisherman's Marine to open a westside store in Portland.

And for those complaining about Cabelas or Sportsman's prices - where are you getting gear they sell for less? Yes, Cabelas is high on guns - typically charging MSRP. Thats because they can't / won't do house branded guns. By in large the Cabela's branded gear has been decent quality fir decent price, and their pricing on other gear has been in line with everywhere else I've seen it. Quality on some gear suffered when they moved production offshore, but that happens with every retailer.

Cabelas has a better ammo selection in store than any shop in the metro area, and often has sales on accessories like sights, scopes, mags, stocks etc.

Sportsmans has a decent selection, but not as much. Sportsman's prices on guns are very competitive, but you are at the will of regional buyers moreso than the stores hunting manager. The department managers have limited ability to decide whats stocked and whats not - they have some leeway, but theres red tape for ordering/stocking gear.

It'd be great if we had a big local retailer like GI Joes in its peak again, but it does not seem like anyone can pull it off. National chains get more buying power.
It's about the only place that I know with 32 acp.
I would also prefer G.I Joe's, and I believe local business should get tax incentives for being apart of the state's economy. Out of state, or region should get taxed more heavily.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top