JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got an email that said they were discontinuing the online discount, and a $20 of $100+ coupon, but didn't notice those changes to the in-store program... Guns, ammo and reloading supplies are pretty much all that I buy there. I don't feel that I'm entitled to a discount; it's their choice to offer one or not, and it was already on the anemic side compared to other retailers. But, a discount is a discount, so it is a bummer to lose. I usually wait to make purchases there anyway until I can stack a coupon or sale with the Cabela's Club points from my Visa.

What was the Bass Pro policy before the merger? I think the new corporate structure may have more to do with it.

G.I Joe's going out of business was one of the saddest times in my life.

We soon forget.

G.I. Joe's got really weird their last ten years. They quit selling handguns cuz they were bad, and they turned into a golf, ski, running attire, and bicycle store like Dick's. And they dropped "G.I." from their name, as that was not politically correct.

Screw Cabela's. Their prices suck anyway. I'm sticking with Sportsmans Warehouse. Good guys, good selection, good prices.

I think Sportsmans sucks, too. I use any and all of them when they suit my needs. If I think they care about me, the customer, in any way, I am deluded.

Last Edited:
This is quite odd thread, I was just at Cabela's in Marysville/Tulalip WA last Thursday, and the cashier asked if I was Military or LEO. As for their prices, and style of marketing . . . I've been to dozens of places from Lacey to Bellingham, Port Angeles to Wenatchee; never seen a shop with guns out (w/cables or cable less) except for long guns (they always have trigger locks or no bolt). Generally the higher priced long guns are behind the counter. Handguns out to touch?, only at gun shows. Cabela's showcases are much better than Sportsman's wall racks behind the counter 12 feet away (you cannot even see what they have). Yes, they have a couple small cases with higher end items usually. Cabela's and Sportsmen's both have generally higher pricing, but when they have sales or coupons (good on firearms) they are close to in-line with the average LGS, sometimes even better. If you get the right person, you may even be able to get a deal if you just provide reasonable proof of better price nearby. I've succeeded at that twice with them. I generally only buy stuff their when on sale or I have a coupon for 10-20% off, depending on how much you spend. Often times their ammo prices are very good when on sale and a valid coupon exists at the time too. Especially if you do not want to buy a full case (with free shipping at some on-line places) on-line, which generally gives you the best price. Even with the encroachment of the big or bigger box outdoors stores, a few of greater Seattle area LGS's have grown in size. I will also admit, that some of their customer service people seem to be very opinionated, and or portray a less than interested in your business attitude. Sometimes the service you get, might be a reflection of your attitude as well ? ? ? If I know a sales person is wrong, I'll tell them, in a nice way. I was at an LGS who was telling a guy the handgun had night sights once. It did not; they were just glow in the dark when activated by bright light type (which does not last very long). I stepped in and told the customer about it and how to check it. This was a place many mention as a go to LGS in the Seattle area. My advice, shop around for the best deal and service. Be the person you want the person on the other side of the counter to be and you might be surprised.

G.I. Joe's got really weird their last ten years. They quit selling handguns cuz they were bad, and they turned into a golf, ski, running attire, and bicycle store like Dick's. And they dropped "G.I." from their name, as that was not politically correct.

Joe's refused to sell me a long gun, because my driver license did not match my address on the paperwork. I actually brought proof of my legal address (my lease) and they said that was not valid. I told him it was, and he said I was wrong. I called an LGS I knew, and they quoted me from the BATFE website what was required and I filled the requirements (I already knew that of course, but wanted verification). So I called the store manager at Joe's from my cell phone, and he said he supported the gun counter sales person, that we were both wrong! I called another Joe's in the vicinity, explained the situation and he said: "come on over, I have that model, I'll sell you the rifle you want".

Home Depot ended their veteran's 10% discount last October. I spent roughly $40K there in 2016 remodeling our home. I haven't set foot in their store since. Dropping the veteran's discount seems to be a trend.

As for Cabela's, what you CANNOT get a military/veteran discount on at Cabela's:
  • Yes, there are some exclusions:
  • Firearms
    • Used consignment
    • Long guns/handguns (Used and new)
    • Suppressors (Used and new)
  • Ammunition
  • Black-powder guns and equipment
  • Reloading equipment
  • Air guns
    • Pellets
    • Pistols
    • Scoped and non-scoped rifles
  • Boats, trailers and motors (does not apply to canoes and kayaks)
  • ATVs/UTVs and trailers
  • Tractors
  • Services for boats, ATVs, UTVs and tractors
  • Alcohol
  • Gift cards
  • Non-merchandise services, such as hunting licenses and Gear Guard
I used mine a couple months ago. Lowes is stepping up their military discount game. Sign up online and you will be in their system. Just give them your phone number when you check out. Lowes has given me the discount on sale items too and HD will not.

"Home Depot ended their veteran's 10% discount last October. I spent roughly $40K there in 2016 remodeling our home. I haven't set foot in their store since. Dropping the veteran's discount seems to be a trend."

Hmmmm . . . . that's not entirely true, otherwise they wouldn't have a 10% Military Discount barcode that is used to provide the discount. They may not give all veterans a discount on a regular basis, but they do if you have a military ID that is on their list of accepted types. Check with your local THD Service Desk Supervisor, ASM or Store Mgr. for complete details.

"Home Depot ended their veteran's 10% discount last October. I spent roughly $40K there in 2016 remodeling our home. I haven't set foot in their store since. Dropping the veteran's discount seems to be a trend."

Hmmmm . . . . that's not entirely true, otherwise they wouldn't have a 10% Military Discount barcode that is used to provide the discount. They may not give all veterans a discount on a regular basis, but they do if you have a military ID that is on their list of accepted types. Check with your local THD Service Desk Supervisor, ASM or Store Mgr. for complete details.
They do still have a discount for ACTIVE military and RETIRED. Not for veterans. I don't do business with them since October 2017.

Home depots discount was always for retired and active. Yeah you could get them to do ordinary veterans too but it wasnt their policy. Lowes is a lot better and just gives you a 10% discount card instead of having to drag out your DD214 all the time.

Although I qualify for the military discount wherever it's offered, I don't feel anyone owes me anything. But if I'm considering a purchase at one store or another, and everything else is equal, my money goes to the merchant who digs military because it can be a meaningful gesture... normally.

Of course there's always a caveat, when stores like Standard TV & Appliance advertise their so-called "military discount." They make a big show out of reducing a grossly inflated sticker price to make active duty/retired customers feel like they got a screaming good deal... until they go somewhere else and find the exact same fridge or television for hundreds less - even without any discount. Opportunistic bastiges like that prove daily that PT Barnum was right.

BTW, as Huck mentions above, Lowes now connects military ID (10% discount) to whatever phone number you provide so you don't have to extract the "buzzer" from your wallet when you're checking out. I didn't have to go online, they just set me up at customer service. Took one minute.

Last Edited:
Just came home from Cabela's. If you were Active Duty or a Veteran, they used to offer a 5% discount on purchases.

No longer. Suck it up guys. The long arm of Bass Pro Shop is seriously affecting Cabela's. Besides the loss of the 5% discount, the high muckity-mucks at Bass Pro Shops have also decreed that firearms will no longer be allowed to be on lay away.
upload_2018-3-7_10-25-19.jpeg This is on Cabela's website right now amigo.

Yep...From their FAQ...

What do I need to bring with me to prove that I am a military customer?
-
• Present your proof of active duty or veteran status. Examples of this include:
◦ Military ID card
◦ We can accept both active and expired ID card

• State-issued ID that lists veteran status (i.e., a driver's license)
• Form DD 214 (Dept. of Defense discharge papers)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top