JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay computer experts, here's your chance to shine.

How do they regulate the shipping discount at Midway? Is it offered for windows of time? Or is the use of it somehow linked to your account so it is rationed? Meaning, you just placed an order and two days later, you want to order again, no soap. Then you order a couple more times, no discount. Then you go back to look at something, not necessarily buy, then the discount pops up again.

I like Midway, but am not of fan of their shipping discounts. I'm at least as confused as you are. I've found the free shipping drills all the way down to the item level. Some things are free, some aren't. I think sometimes they have a code you enter. That's probably only good once. Sorry, I know I'm of no help. :s0092:

PRODUCTS DESIGNATED AS SHIPS FREE & FREE SHIPPING ORDERS

• Free Shipping only applies to products designated as "Ships Free" on orders containing $49 in Free Shipping products and occasional Free Shipping promotions (with some exceptions for certain large, bulky products).
  • Additional Charges for Products shipping directly from our Suppliers, Delivery to remote locations, Large orders shipping UPS 2nd Business Day Air and UPS Next Business Day Air, Large or Extra-Large/Irregular Shape Products, and HazMat Products are still applicable for products designated as "Ships Free".
  • Free Shipping is only available to remote locations for orders under 1 Pound with USPS Final Delivery. Orders over 1 Pound going to these destinations ship per the Shipping Charges in the Shipping Rate Chart, including the Location Surcharge for remote locations.
  • If an order contains one or more products designated as "Ships Free", and there are NO Non-Free-Shipping products and/or NO Additional Charges on the order, there are NO Shipping Charges associated with the order.
  • If an order contains one or more products shown as "Ships Free" and there ARE other Non-Free-Shipping products and/or Additional Charges on the order, the incremental, "Per Pound" and Additional Charges associated with the Non-Free-Shipping products are added to the Shipping Charges. For Flat Rate packages, the cost of shipping the "Ships Free" on our economy rate chart will be deducted from the Flat Rate charge.

PRODUCTS DESIGNATED AS SHIPS FREE & FREE SHIPPING ORDERS

• Free Shipping only applies to products designated as "Ships Free" on orders containing $49 in Free Shipping products and occasional Free Shipping promotions (with some exceptions for certain large, bulky products).
  • Additional Charges for Products shipping directly from our Suppliers, Delivery to remote locations, Large orders shipping UPS 2nd Business Day Air and UPS Next Business Day Air, Large or Extra-Large/Irregular Shape Products, and HazMat Products are still applicable for products designated as "Ships Free".
  • Free Shipping is only available to remote locations for orders under 1 Pound with USPS Final Delivery. Orders over 1 Pound going to these destinations ship per the Shipping Charges in the Shipping Rate Chart, including the Location Surcharge for remote locations.
  • If an order contains one or more products designated as "Ships Free", and there are NO Non-Free-Shipping products and/or NO Additional Charges on the order, there are NO Shipping Charges associated with the order.
  • If an order contains one or more products shown as "Ships Free" and there ARE other Non-Free-Shipping products and/or Additional Charges on the order, the incremental, "Per Pound" and Additional Charges associated with the Non-Free-Shipping products are added to the Shipping Charges. For Flat Rate packages, the cost of shipping the "Ships Free" on our economy rate chart will be deducted from the Flat Rate charge.
Reminds me of the language in those extended warranty contracts the auto dealers sell: "Damage to all parts is covered unless the damage to the covered part is caused by damage to a non-covered part, in which case neither the... blah, blah, blah."

At least they're not offering you a rebate and then making it difficult to get said rebate. Another pet peeve.

Reminds me of the language in those extended warranty contracts the auto dealers sell: "Damage to all parts is covered unless the damage to the covered part is caused by damage to a non-covered part, in which case neither the... blah, blah, blah."

At least they're not offering you a rebate and then making it difficult to get said rebate. Another pet peeve.
It's only free for the stuff marked for free shipping and only if they don't have to put it on a boat or a plane. Better? :D ;)

Oh, I'm well aware of their general conditions.

Free Shipping only applies to products designated as "Ships Free" on orders containing $49 in Free Shipping products and occasional Free Shipping promotions (with some exceptions for certain large, bulky products).
It's the "occasional Free Shipping promotions" that I wonder about. Are the "occasional" freebies random windows of opportunity, or are they somehow linked to your account based on activity. I can see how if you ordered several times in one month, they wouldn't want to give you free shipping on each and every transaction. It would be easy enough for their computer to "know" each purchase that was made that took advantage of the free shipping offer. And limit the offering accordingly.

There are nuances to the "free" shipping thing now. Sometimes, it isn't shipping, it's $10 "instant savings" on a purchase of X amount or more. Other times, they offer $10 off shipping with a purchase of X amount or more.

Heck, after I've made a Midway purchase, my wife goes to her Fakebook account and the advertising in the margins is all MidwayUSA. She then says, "Why am I getting all these Midway ads on Facebook?" I tell her, "Ask our son, he's an online advertising yield manager, he will explain it to you."

Sidebar: I see Midway has a new CEO, now I can't write crappish letters to Larry Potterfield anymore. But hey, now I have someone new to write crappish letters to.

Oh, I'm well aware of their general conditions.

It's the "occasional Free Shipping promotions" that I wonder about. Are the "occasional" freebies random windows of opportunity, or are they somehow linked to your account based on activity. I can see how if you ordered several times in one month, they wouldn't want to give you free shipping on each and every transaction. It would be easy enough for their computer to "know" each purchase that was made that took advantage of the free shipping offer. And limit the offering accordingly.

There are nuances to the "free" shipping thing now. Sometimes, it isn't shipping, it's $10 "instant savings" on a purchase of X amount or more. Other times, they offer $10 off shipping with a purchase of X amount or more.

Heck, after I've made a Midway purchase, my wife goes to her Fakebook account and the advertising in the margins is all MidwayUSA. She then says, "Why am I getting all these Midway ads on Facebook?" I tell her, "Ask our son, he's an online advertising yield manager, he will explain it to you."

Sidebar: I see Midway has a new CEO, now I can't write crappish letters to Larry Potterfield anymore. But hey, now I have someone new to write crappish letters to.
I shop there a lot. The occasional free shipping offers I've seen seem to just come up randomly - whether I've been there recently or not, whether I spent $100 or $1000 the last time. I haven't noticed a pattern so far.

It's only free for the stuff marked for free shipping and only if they don't have to put it on a boat or a plane. Better? :D ;)
It gets worse. I've ordered archery targets from Midway that come directly from the supplier. That's extra too.

Could be even worse. I added a replacement insert for a bobcat target, plus a deer target to my online cart at Lancaster Archery yesterday. I thought they looked like a good deal - until I entered all of my information in checkout and found my shipping charges would be over $94 for $250 worth of merchandise. Of course, now that they have all of my information, they keep emailing me reminders that I've got stuff in my cart (even though I removed both items) and continue to send emails regarding employment opportunities. I just unsubscribed but wouldn't be surprised to see that be a futile gesture.

Last Edited:
It gets worse. I've ordered archery targets from Midway that come directly from the supplier. That's extra too.

Could be even worse. I added a replacement insert for a bobcat target, plus a deer target to my online cart at Lancaster Archery yesterday. I thought they looked like a good deal - until I entered all of my information in checkout and found my shipping charges would be over $94 for $250 worth of merchandise. Of course, now that they have all of my information, they keep emailing me reminders that I've got stuff in my cart (even though I removed both items) and continue to send emails regarding employment opportunities. I just unsubscribed but wouldn't be surprised to be that be a futile gesture.
It takes a while but I've gotten myself dropped from a lot of lists. It just ticks me off that I deselect the "Send me offers" button on the address page but everyone just sends the bubblegum anyway.

Just today I was browsing Midway and saw $10 off if you buy $75 worth of stuff. Being as how they will ship mags now I looked up mags for my rifle and they were $50 each at Midway. I found them for $30 each at another shop and they added $9 shipping.

I like Midway but I find better prices in other store for some items. Saved myself $120 shopping at another store for the same item.

I thought they looked like a good deal - until I entered all of my information in checkout and found my shipping charges would be over $94 for $250 worth of merchandise.
Oh yeah, this happens. But I'm told that company marketing people look at incomplete transactions. They keep stats of the number of transactions that bilge out in the shipping calculation phase. So they are exposed to some awareness of buyer resistance to high shipping charges. Do they pay attention to it? Maybe some do. But the logistics of shipping is one of the highest inflators in our economy at present.

Could be even worse. I added a replacement insert for a bobcat target, plus a deer target to my online cart at Lancaster Archery yesterday. I thought they looked like a good deal - until I entered all of my information in checkout and found my shipping charges would be over $94 for $250 worth of merchandise. Of course, now that they have all of my information, they keep emailing me reminders that I've got stuff in my cart (even though I removed both items) and continue to send emails regarding employment opportunities. I just unsubscribed but wouldn't be surprised to see that be a futile gesture.

It takes a while but I've gotten myself dropped from a lot of lists. It just ticks me off that I deselect the "Send me offers" button on the address page but everyone just sends the bubblegum anyway.
To both quotes, above, the algorithms that drive online commerce drive me nuts. They are embedded in the networks like a virus.

Okay, I am going off the road here for a minute. How about the explosion of online ads for discounted, fake US postage stamps? I kept seeing these, wondered how legit web sites like Fakebook would continue to allow these. Here is a Yahoo explanation that I found online:

"It's not exactly that Facebook allows people to post fraudulent ads to the site. It's more so that these scammers have found a way for their posts to avoid Facebook's verification process altogether.

The way they do this is by buying accounts that have already gone through the verification process, such as business manager accounts that are allowed to post lots of ads."

The fake postage stamps typically come from China.

I dropped Midway when they refused to sell me a standard baseplate for a 10 round magazine.

Not extended, just standard. Perfectly legal.

Their business, their rules. Ok. My dollars, go someplace else.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top