JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just came home from Cabela's. If you were Active Duty or a Veteran, they used to offer a 5% discount on purchases.

No longer. Suck it up guys. The long arm of Bass Pro Shop is seriously affecting Cabela's. Besides the loss of the 5% discount, the high muckity-mucks at Bass Pro Shops have also decreed that firearms will no longer be allowed to be on lay away.

Last time I was in sportsmans they randomly asked me if I was a veteran and gave me a discount. Cabelas is a bit overpriced. Sportsmans is too but if your just looking for that discount you can go there.

Cabelas has practically no variety in their cleaning supplies, and their products are mostly marked up.
I will continue to use their shop to get hands on a gun I will buy elsewhere.

I wish pistols were out on tables cabled up instead of behind the counter. When I was stationed in upstate New York there was a gander mountain in a near by city and I remember all the guns being out. You could just walk up and grab anything, if it wasn't out in the open they had small display cases you could at least walk around them and really get a good look at something. I hate how sportsmans and cabelas have all the pistols on the wall behind the counter. Even if you can get through the crowd of people it's hard to see what exactly is back there. And then half the time the employees act like your bothering them if you ask to see something.

I was told yesterday that they still offer the Veterans discount just no longer on firearms and ammo. As far as I know, Sportsman's still offers the 5% Veterans discount :)

As far as I'm concerned, Cabela's has and always will SUCK Big Time. They are a Distributor but the Only place they Distribute to has Cabela's on the door.

The last time I chimed in on a Cabelas thread was to talk about how it sucked. My opinion has not changed. There is pretty much nothing that entices me to go there. Over priced, over crowded, and I don't like standing in line to look at what kind of of over priced gun they have and have someone who knows nothing about it try to BS me. I used to like their outfitters camo, but they discontinued that so that kind of sealed the deal.

Cabelas is not and should not be considered to be a gun store. Their prices are high, staff clueless and selection is limited.
They are an outdoor store. They used to be good for hunting and camping supplies. Their clothing and camo was as good as anything else out there. But times have changed.
The buyout by BassPro is the end of the road. Geared more towards fishing, they will take away the last little bit.
Veteran discount, layaway. Expect more to come.
Clueless fools...

Good thing I scored all those free shipping, mail-order ammo deals, WITH the 5% veteran discount over the holidays that I did. :D

My wife told me that after multiple deliveries, the UPS delivery-lady now actually knows my wife's first name, and they'd both laughingly joke "gee, I wonder what this EIGHTY POUND box with orange diamond stickers could be"..... :rolleyes:

Um.... it's a tritium coated anchor & chains for my 12' aluminum boat, hence the orange diamond stickers on the boxes..... nothing to see here, move along! o_O

Sorry folks, thinking it through.... I may be single-handely to blame for the policy change!! :eek:

I did not serve to get a 5% discount. I personally do not want any special treatment. If they offer a discount great if not no big deal. Just my 2 cents.

My local Sportsmans Warehouse offers military discount to all veterans. Every time I am there I hear the cashiers ask if customers are veterans then thank them for their service. Even had a few of their employees shake my hand. They have a military day offering around 10-20% off and I missed it one year and they gave it to me days later and all I said was I missed it, didn't ask for it. VFW post has a table there once a month and they donate on a regular basis. They donated a rifle last year. Plus they have veterans only parking spots. I was there 2 weeks ago and local PD in uniform was picking up a jacket and the cashier offered him a discount and thanked the officer.

Cabelas and BPS prices are higher and never once asked if I was a veteran. Not that I deserve and demand or expect any discount but its the principle behind it.

Hate Cabela's or any other company for whatever reason we wish, but spreading unsubstantiated info is also not cool.

This new policy either is not yet implemented, or it's not true.

I bought my PC Carbine just a few days ago and received a Veterans discount.

I have contacted Cabela's to see if this is an urban myth, or if they are in fact excepting guns from their Veteran's discount program.

They did finally respond, and as others have beat me to it, they have in fact excepted firearms and ammo from the Veteran's discount program.

Last Edited:
Just came home from Cabela's. If you were Active Duty or a Veteran, they used to offer a 5% discount on purchases.

No longer. Suck it up guys. The long arm of Bass Pro Shop is seriously affecting Cabela's. Besides the loss of the 5% discount, the high muckity-mucks at Bass Pro Shops have also decreed that firearms will no longer be allowed to be on lay away.
Wrong Legendary Salute

Well that means we no longer need to drive to Cabela's, as we usually only look at firearms and ammo. The Sportsman's in Silverdale has some decent prices on ammo and 5% off for Military and Veterans.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top