JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just came home from Cabela's. If you were Active Duty or a Veteran, they used to offer a 5% discount on purchases.

No longer. Suck it up guys. The long arm of Bass Pro Shop is seriously affecting Cabela's. Besides the loss of the 5% discount, the high muckity-mucks at Bass Pro Shops have also decreed that firearms will no longer be allowed to be on lay away.

Fine with me and the local shops will love to have the business the big guys like this want to chase off.

Good thing I scored all those free shipping, mail-order ammo deals, WITH the 5% veteran discount over the holidays that I did. :D

My wife told me that after multiple deliveries, the UPS delivery-lady now actually knows my wife's first name, and they'd both laughingly joke "gee, I wonder what this EIGHTY POUND box with orange diamond stickers could be"..... :rolleyes:

Um.... it's a tritium coated anchor & chains for my 12' aluminum boat, hence the orange diamond stickers on the boxes..... nothing to see here, move along! o_O

Sorry folks, thinking it through.... I may be single-handely to blame for the policy change!! :eek:

LOL, During the great panic I had .22 ammo coming weekly for me and a few others. UPS and FedEx guys knew my dogs by name after a while. :)

Sportsman's provides discount for military and LE. They also have their loyalty card program, which they suck at fully explaining. If you have a loyalty card, make sure you go to their website and fully register, and at least once a year redeem your points. You will get a gift cards back. The points go away after a year though, which no one ever explained. Took my wife going to work there, then coming home and telling me to get my butt in gear and redeem points before they disappeared.

Cabelas has practically no variety in their cleaning supplies, and their products are mostly marked up.
I will continue to use their shop to get hands on a gun I will buy elsewhere.
Is that really worth going through the hell that is called their parking lot though?

I don't understand the point of removing a discount that we didn't ask for is helping a particular cause. What is the end game?

By any logic these companies need to stop selling firearms and related products all together or their stance makes no sense.

I don't understand the point of removing a discount that we didn't ask for is helping a particular cause. What is the end game?

By any logic these companies need to stop selling firearms and related products all together or their stance makes no sense.
Roles have reversed since commerce is now fluent across the Internet. It used to be that the products were on the shelves at the stores. Now, we are the products and corporations manipulate us through our smart phones like little guinea pigs. Winning customers and providing good curtomer service used to be the mantra for every corporation that served customers at the brick and mortar level. That's no longer necessary.

I guess this means Cabelas will most likely drop their special NRA events as well. Seeing the NRA is a pariah now...

Only thing I've bought at cabelas was ammo on sale with free shipping. They can rot on the cone for all I care, besides Sportsman's Warehouse is closer when I have the need to fondle some strange guns :eek:

Cabelas has treated me very well. I never buy new guns but the gun library is excellent. Last week I picked up my 4" Python from them. It was listed for 1399 at one of there New Mexico stores. It cost me 25.00 to ship it to Boise so I could see it. With good guy discounts from the staff, military discount (I got) and some other promotional discounts it came to 1000.00 plus tax. This is an honest 3500.00 pistol. I have purchased many high quality guns from them.....over 15,000 last year......with the 25.00 store transfer policy, if I don't like the gun after I see it, no harm no foul. We shop the bargain den a lot and buy better quality fishing gear from them. I wear there heavy roughneck shirts (bought on sale) and buy there ammo. I rarely buy anything else from them but they are the best gun store in south west Idaho. I occasionally look at there sales sheets, they look good to me but I don't buy new guns. There safes look expensive to me and I am sure there are other high priced items. They seem to sell quality products and have done a lot to bring outdoor and shooting sports into the mainstream of society. Everyone is welcome to boycott anyone they want but anyone selling guns isn't making a lot of money on them.....not much profit margin, never has been on either guns or ammo. There are huge profits on things like clothing and some outdoor gear so the gun side is almost more of a service that breaks even while hopping to sell a profitable jacket or something. Selling guns is labor intensive, heavily regulated and politically incorrect. It requires courage to operate and maintain a sizeable gun operation. You are welcome to boycott whomever you choose but I appreciate there service and commitment to shooting and outdoor sports.

I went to Cabela's one time back in 2014 and I bought an FNX-9 from them. I got there right after they opened so there was no one in line for the gun department. It about 20 minutes or so for the back ground check. I did order some 12 gauge shot ammo from time to time when they had a sale.

Like I said, I will continue to go there to fondle the guns and will buy elsewhere knowing they sell it cheaper. I usually end up buying something while there tho, bargains included.
The gun library is also pretty good, you're right.

Uh, that's a lot of guns - maybe a zero or two on the long side of that number?
No.......one of my Merkel's alone is over 6,000.00, my August Schuler was 7500.00 and my Merkel stalking rifle was 3500.00 those were not 1/2 of what I bought from them. There is a highly engraved Parker at the store I may have to buy, it was 24,000 discounted to 15,000........I am studying it now.

I just had a horrible experience with Cabelas and having some items shipped to the store for pick up.
Absolutely the worst customer service.
Took me dozens of phone calls and talking to people at the store to get my money back after 2 MONTHS!!!

While we were in Europe the last half of 2015 I had a layaway at Cabelas that slipped my mind. Time ran out and notifications came here to the ranch while we were in Vienna (we were gone close to 4 months) I noticed an odd deposit in my gun bank account. They had refunded 100% of the money I had in it.........I called the Library manager from Austria, he put the gun in the back and said we would fix it when I got back. The only frustration I have ever had with them is dealing with new staff that didn't know there systems yet.......always best to find an old grey haired guy to help you wherever you are.

I have purchased 3 from their gun library and one lower. You can get good deals or get raped, knowing what you're buying makes the difference.
The removal of the discount is not about anti anything, it's pro profit. They eliminated the employee gun discount long ago, as told to me by one of the employees.
Ammo is usually cheaper at Bi-Mart, unless it's one of their loss leaders, and when I go for those, that's all I buy when I walk in...

Hate Cabela's or any other company for whatever reason we wish, but spreading unsubstantiated info is also not cool.

This new policy either is not yet implemented, or it's not true.

I bought my PC Carbine a few days ago and received a Veterans discount.

I have contacted Cabela's to see if this is an urban myth, or if they are in fact excepting guns from their Veteran's discount program.

The discount goes away for firearms, ammo, reloading stuff, and some other high price items.

F9689B83-1C97-443A-B473-6AD63EDDEDB3.png

Yeah, the discount is gone on the following gun treated stuff:

• Firearms
    • Used consignment
    • Long guns/handguns (Used and new)
    • Suppressors (Used and new)
  • Ammunition
  • Black-powder guns and equipment
  • Reloading equipment
  • Air guns
    • Pellets
    • Pistols
    • Scoped and non-scoped rifles
I figured since this was a GUN forum, I would rant about the pertinent part. When you're on a fixed income every penny counts, especially in this state here Gov. Jay seems bent on raising fees and taxes on everything. But that's another rant for another day.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top