JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend from out of state is visiting and has a couple of guns with him that he was talking about selling once he got back home. My question is could we go to a gun store here in Oregon and him transfer them to me if I wanted to buy them. Any insight or a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

The ATF has details here and relevant text reproduced below:

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient's State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

I have had both handguns and rifles sold to me by residents of another state who came here and we did the transfer via FFL.

For handguns they have to come here, I cannot buy a handgun in another state - it has to be transferred to this state and then to me via an FFL.

I can physically go to any other state and buy a "long gun" (rifle or shotgun) from an FFL as long as the sale is not prohibited by my state or the state I am buying in.

It is all very silly really - but it is what it is.

Last Edited:
I did a transfer via UPS. Had buyers FFL and DL attached to box and off it went. I don't have a FFL , it was k ti do. As long as it went to a FFL.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews