JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing to consider: "soft" armor has a limited shelf life (~5 years?), whereas hard plates have a much longer shelf life (20 years?). Some soft armor can degrade depending on its environment (UV, moisture, etc.).

If the armor in the carrier can be replaced (without replacing the carrier itself), then the consider the cost of replacing the armor insert. If not, then do you need to replace the whole system?

Also, ceramic plates, while typically lighter, are more fragile than steel or plastic, and may need to be replaced if you fall on them.

I'm not going to any riots ever -- on purpose at least. But I do work in my downtown area in a town where there is no ideological difference between here and Portland -- it's just smaller and so we haven't had riots yet. There have been a couple noisy protests go down the street I work on though so the chance I end up in such a situation is not zero.

As for comfort, I've been debating whether I should get the level IIA or IIIA. I know some will say to get a tank but realistically, the IIA is almost half the weight and rated up to .45 acp. The IIIA to .44 mag, but none of it will stop a rifle round. I suspect if I end up caught in a riot and someone is shooting at me, it'll be with a 9mm, .40, .380, or .22 ... or a rifle. So I'm sort of leaning toward the more comfortable option.

I wore Level II soft for over 20 years. Worn under a shirt it's something you get used to easily as long as it fits well. A while back since it was time to replace the current vest anyway I looked at a place one of the LEO's here (No_Regerts) recommended, place in NV, SafeLife. I bought a III from them. They are quite impressive for the price. Offer great protection for both getting hit and getting shot. If worn under clothing it is not as easy to hide if anyone cares about that. It is actually more comfortable to me though than the level II which is noticeably thinner. Even when we went through that hot spell. Guessing it's the way the carrier is made. Now if someone only wants this in case they are suddenly caught in some mob with no warning? They probably do not want to wear it all day. You can carry it in the vehicle and throw it on if needed easily. I you buy an external carrier for the stuff its even easy for many a casual person to not notice you have it on. If anyone wants something to keep in the vehicle just in case those hoodies and jackets from the place here in WA would certainly fill the bill. To anyone seeing it would look like the person had a jacket or hoodie on. As mentioned before by me nothing is 100%. Anything is better than noting.

Can you please elaborate. As far as I have been able to see, body armor is legal in all states. Connecticut you must purchase in person and if you are wearing it in the commission of a crime it can be an additional charge or if you have had a felony conviction, but I know of no state that it is illegal.

Note that......
Say you used your firearm in self-defense (while wearing your kevlar or armor).

Yet you are prosecuted......as the "aggressor/suspect in a felony".

Think.....What if......
*Michael Strickland had been wearing body armor (say in a jurisdiction where it's illegal to wear body armor while in the commission of a felony). I can imagine that......he would have been additionally charged with that crime.

Anyway, a little more info on a state by state basis......
Body Armor Laws

And for those that don't know of Michael Strickland's case.
Oregon Court Affirms Conviction of Journalist Who Pulled Gun to Stop Advancing Antifa Mob

Aloha, Mark

PS......example.....California.

In California, anyone can purchase and use a bulletproof vest, unless he or she has been convicted of a felony. Bulletproof vests and all other body armor can be purchased online or face-to-face.

So then......convicted felons should NOT have guns or body armor in CA.

LOL #BLM.

So then.....even "a convicted felon" (in CA) would NOT be afforded the opportunity to have some amount of protection against rival gangs? :eek:

thats-racist.gif
Rrrrright....gangs are only of one racial extraction?o_O

Last Edited:
In this case, it seems to have cleared them out pretty fast. Although the guy was arrested, the post indicates he was not charged. Interesting that the cops did not seem to respond to the assault, but were there in a flash as soon as he pulled the gun.

Without a doubt.

While I would NOT walk into one of these morons herds, that was funny to watch. The woke snowflake girl who hates Cops screaming to the Cops that they didn't do anything. The way all those super brave bullies ran like cockroaches when the lights come on was great to watch too. They were sure brave when they were trying to beat some guy on the ground.

Any armor you can test out before you buy?
I take it you mean wear it? Any brick and mortar store that sells would I have to guess have some you could try. Some higher end stuff is fitted to the person to be tailored to them. Many LEO's get this done. It of course costs more if you have to buy your own. If you mean let you take it home and wear it a while? This would be hard to do as who would want the stuff someone wears a while then returns.

I take it you mean wear it? Any brick and mortar store that sells would I have to guess have some you could try. Some higher end stuff is fitted to the person to be tailored to them. Many LEO's get this done. It of course costs more if you have to buy your own. If you mean let you take it home and wear it a while? This would be hard to do as who would want the stuff someone wears a while then returns.

Hummmm........the GFsaid that the stores won't let her try on clothes anymore at the store's dressing rooms. So.....she is supposed to go home and try them on. If she doesn't like them......she can return them to the store.

Whatever.....it's not my store, nor would I be an investor and it's NOT my idea of a business plan for making money.

BUT......YES. I've also seen some very grungy items being returned at Wal Mart, etc... Some people. :(

Aloha, Mark

PS.....body armor, try before you buy?

OK, pay first.
Test it.
Now you own a jacket with a bullet hole in it. And/or, it's got bloodstains. Or, if it worked.....it's been compromised in that area. So the next bullet will maybe/probably go through it.

Hummm?

I think I'd just buy it on the faith that the manufacturer did the testing.

Last Edited:
Hummmm........the GFsaid that the stores won't let her try on clothes anymore at the store's dressing rooms.

So.....she is supposed to go home and try them on. If she doesn't like them......she can return them to the store. Whatever.....it's not my store (nor an investor) or my idea of a business plan for making money.

BUT......YES......I've also seen some very grungy items being returned at Wal Mart, etc... Some people.....(shake head side to side).

Aloha, Mark
Damn I had not even thought of that, the great plague and all. I buy all my clothing on line and have for a hell of a long time. Now that you said that I wonder what the hell places do now??? If you buy a pair of pants or such and can't use a fitting room can you bring them back if they don't fit??? If the store does take them back what the hell do they do with them when they come back?? The thought of clothing sold as new at a store that someone had taken home then returned? Seems far worse to me than letting them try them in the store but this great gas light panic is creating some real interesting times. When I buy clothing by order I always look it over and if not sure will try it real quick before taking the tags off. Then I wash it before I wear it just because I don't know who, where it's all been handled along the way. People have been turned into such a panic I wonder what places that sell shoes do? I could see a lot of the newly panicked being afraid of shoes someone may have tried on. Damn this must by playing hell with many places that sell clothing.

Anyone have experience with the body armor so lightweight that it floats?

Anyone have experience with the body armor so lightweight that it floats?

Yes. For on the water i have the option of all dyneema rifle plates. They are about 3.5lbs each for medium sapi size. Its the areal density that allows them to float(positively bouyant). Still run floatation foam and pfd. They are a breeze to wear with being so light, super durable but have their limitations.

... Now if someone only wants this in case they are suddenly caught in some mob with no warning? They probably do not want to wear it all day. ...

This is my use case. I would wear it driving to and from my office, and when I leave for lunch, post office, or bank, but not wear it in the office. I would almost certainly have some warning of an approaching mob if I was in my office.

So I think I'm going to reverse myself and go for the IIIA since my total wear time on a daily basis is less than two hours, an extra 3 pounds is probably worth the extra protection and since I'm not wearing all day, not annoying.

Last Edited:
While I would NOT walk into one of these morons herds, that was funny to watch. The woke snowflake girl who hates Cops screaming to the Cops that they didn't do anything. The way all those super brave bullies ran like cockroaches when the lights come on was great to watch too. They were sure brave when they were trying to beat some guy on the ground.

The dude was lucky though -- he aimed his gun at a person running at him who happened to be police with a gun drawn. He could have easily got shot right there.

Note that......
Say you used your firearm in self-defense (while wearing your kevlar or armor).

Yet you are prosecuted......as the "aggressor/suspect in a felony".

Think.....What if......
*Michael Strickland had been wearing body armor (say in a jurisdiction where it's illegal to wear body armor while in the commission of a felony). I can imagine that......he would have been additionally charged with that crime.

Anyway, a little more info on a state by state basis......
Body Armor Laws

And for those that don't know of Michael Strickland's case.
Oregon Court Affirms Conviction of Journalist Who Pulled Gun to Stop Advancing Antifa Mob

Aloha, Mark

PS......example.....California.

In California, anyone can purchase and use a bulletproof vest, unless he or she has been convicted of a felony. Bulletproof vests and all other body armor can be purchased online or face-to-face.

So then......convicted felons should NOT have guns or body armor in CA.

LOL #BLM.

So then.....even "a convicted felon" (in CA) would NOT be afforded the opportunity to have some amount of protection against rival gangs? :eek:

View attachment 743119
Rrrrright....gangs are only of one racial extraction?o_O
Sure. We can what if anything. But if you are prosecuted for manslaughter or a level of murder, the last thing you are worried about is the secondary body armor charge. I will take the chance of wearing armor and avoid situations the best i can. Under that logic why carry a gun. You can get a secondary firearm charge as well.

I never said that you or anyone else shouldn't.

I only said to look into it.....before spending the big money.

And.....none the less.....I found it interesting, that convicted felons were prohibited. It's like saying that......certain people are not worthy of defense. More on that......

Convicted felons surrender their right to own body armor. The US has a federal ban on the possession of body armor by convicted felons (18 U.S.C. 931). Felons can only purchase bulletproof vests if their employer requires it and they get written permission to do so. Still, it is the responsibility of the felon to refrain from buying body armor. Only he can be prosecuted if he makes an illegal purchase. Retailers are not liable for what happens to body armor after it is sold.

Aloha, Mark

PS.... I don't think.....that Michael Strickland ever thought that he was doing "wrong", when he pulled his firearm to defend himself. But, things in Portlandia have a way of quickly getting out of control now a days. And my guess is.....from the Judge's verdict.....that he didn't think that Michael's life was "worthy of defense" either. Perhaps, it has more to do with the fact that certain people, link his reporting to the "Right Wing Movement"?

Last Edited:
I never said that you or anyone else shouldn't.

I only said to look into it.....before spending the big money.

And.....none the less.....I found it interesting, that convicted felons were prohibited. It's like saying that......certain people are not worthy.

Aloha, Mark
Not trying to be rude, but you made comments about body armor being illegal that aren't accurate, then try to justify it by saying you might get a secondary charge, to which the logic is still not there. If these are the things plaguing your mind why carry a gun, a knife, get martial training, etc. These are all things that can be used against you in some fashion. Body armor is not illegal for a law abiding person. There is no reason to even consider a secondary charge from armor if you are carrying a gun, knife etc as a means of self defense. Not that i in anyway am advocating, but its not a concern for a criminal either. If a criminal is shooting people, do we really think a secondary charge is a concern. Anyway, armor is legal in all states. No need to go any further.

It is illegal for certain people.

What don't you get?

ALL LIVES MATTER. Even a convicted felon has a right to life (as he/she has been released).

Aloha, Mark

PS....not trying to be argumentative but you said....

"Body armor is not illegal for a law abiding person."

So, since you require 100% accuracy. Well, isn't a convicted felon (that has been released) also considered to be a law abiding citizen at that point? Sure.....restrictions are placed upon him/her in some instances (like firearms ownership and in this case body armor). But....there you are.

Last Edited:
It is illegal for certain people.

What don't you get?

ALL LIVES MATTER. Even a convicted felon has a right to life (as he/she has been released).

Aloha, Mark

PS....not trying to be argumentative but you said....

"Body armor is not illegal for a law abiding person."

So, since you require 100% accuracy. Well, isn't a convicted felon (that has been released) also considered to be a law abiding citizen at that point? Sure.....restrictions are placed upon him/her in some instances (like firearms ownership and in this case body armor). But....there you are.
Man, you got me. Lolol. You were wrong. Man up, instead of making excuses and keep dragging the scope of the original post to make you look right. If you want to play this exeption to the exception to the exception stuff, I'm out. If you want to have a legitimate conversation with someone who for years has worn, studied and tested multiple types of armor, let me know. I come here to help educate on things i know and get advice on those i don't. You made misleading statements that could hopefully not sway someone in a incorrect direction. Own it and move on.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR