JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe in some (many?) states/locales, it is an "add-on" felony if you wear body armor while committing a felony.
Yes, thats what i stated in my reply. But no state is it illegal for a "law abiding citizen" to own armor. But if there is something that ma96782 knows about, i would be interested to see a link to the law. As far as i know there are none. Always like to be informed if there is though.

Isn't there some company that is making a lightweight Kevlar scale vest? I remember seeing a video on it recently but can't remember the name. They were pushing the scales as a new technology. Maybe ceramic scales? Can't remember

There are a number of them, but it depends on what you define as "light weight" and what level of protection you want. The armor you are probably thinking of is the FRAS:

It is a hybrid of soft fabric armor with ceramic discs layered on top of it - IIRC. But at 16 pounds it isn't light.

Wow 16 lbs. that's a lot. Someone should make a lightweight Interlocking plates version For pistol rounds that deforms the bullet and deflects it or something. Maybe they do already.

I was driving downtown the other day and several stores were advertising protest supplies. One had the entire storefront windows plastered with signs like "gas masks", "face shields", etc. pretty soon they are going to have signs for "body armor", "50 BMG ammo", "mini-guns in stock now". ;)

if I drive buy it again I'll stop and take a pic. I had to do a double take when I saw that store front.

Wow 16 lbs. that's a lot. Someone should make a lightweight Interlocking plates version For pistol rounds that deforms the bullet and deflects it or something. Maybe they do already.
16lbs is super light for what it is. Many sets of 10x12 plates can weigh in at that with a ton less coverage(yes i know there are ultra light dyneema plates, but they also don't stop the same rounds). Once you have it on, its not that bad. But yes, like all armor, it is best to properly train in it so you are used to the weight difference. I have had people feel one of my light weight soft concealable vests and complained about the weight. In my head i just kept thinking, going to be alot of work with this one. Lolol.

The FRAS would be for someone who has credible threats or is at high risk for encountering rifle threats.

Personally, I and my family are at low risk from gunfire of any kind, but if SHTF, I think light soft armor that weights less than 5 pounds and has a IIIA protection level would be adequate for the most probable threats - at least to get to cover and/or remove ones self from the danger area.

Just a fyi for people looking to buy concealable armor. If you are looking at using a sapi cut panel shape, they print quite bad under clothing. The standard concealable vest cut(like most police armor) blends with your body's contours, especially in the upper chest/collar bone area that lends itself to conceal far better under thinner garments. I can conceal mine pretty well under a t-shirt vs sapi cut jumps out. If you have to conceal hard plates, there are ways to layer to break up the outline. But if you are in a hot environment, layers can make you even more uncomfortable. Always a trade off.

I believe that if you want rifle threat protection, with the exception of something like FRAS, you will be going with plates instead of soft armor. Either way, you will have somewhat more bulky and weighty armor.

Consider whether you are really going to wear heavy bulky armor when you really need it, or whether lighter thinner armor that protects against most handgun threats (9mm, .40, .357, .45) is adequate for your most likely threat/risk, and will be worn more often.

It is kind of like firearms. Most people would prefer the maximum firepower if they knew they were going to need a firearm for self-defense - say a shotgun or a rifle - but most of the time they won't carry those firearms, opting for something lighter and smaller.

ADC901F7-32B6-4085-A444-1AAE75DBA563.gif
We need more offense

.... One had the entire storefront windows plastered with signs like "gas masks", "face shields", etc. pretty soon they are going to have signs for "body armor", "50 BMG ammo", "mini-guns in stock now". ;)

One reason that Antifa will ultimately fail even if they manage to take power for a time, is that turning a profit is a fundamental human attribute, like the sense of smell.

The rioters are irrational - it is hard to predict what they will do when confronted with an armed person.
In this case, it seems to have cleared them out pretty fast. Although the guy was arrested, the post indicates he was not charged. Interesting that the cops did not seem to respond to the assault, but were there in a flash as soon as he pulled the gun.

I think in most cases it would be stupid to go to the riots in the first place.
Without a doubt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads