JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking about putting up a classified ad to trade some of my primers for pinto beans. The pinto beans are readily available but the stores don't take primers for payment. I could sell the primers for cash and then buy the beans but I am interested in practicing the bartering aspect of the exchange. Has anybody else been doing this type of bartering/trading recently?

Hello,

We have not done that type of barter for food. We have not done any type of barter for food.

People are LOOKING for primers all over. My husband does not need or want any but people HERE and in other states are looking for primers BIG TIME.

People are STILL LOOKING for reloading stock from A to Z.

PROFESSIONAL reloaders (FFL men/women.) and regular reloaders.

I bet if you have a long list of your STUFF and put it up here or in a paper like MONTANA GUN TRADER (I think that is the name of it?) or ones for WA and OR - you will have a LONG LIST of buyers and/or traders for your goods.

I know a professional licensed reloader (FFL man.) but he lives in MT.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

If you're talking a brick of primers, where the going rate on pinto's is about .72/lb... that's over 135lbs of pinto beans per brick. Just sayin..... you could probably be bartering for venison or elk steaks for that kinda "currency". ;)

Last Edited:
Not proper " bartering " steps, but yes. A neighbor brought over some elk , a few limits if razor clams, and some crab last year. I ran a brick of 22s over after we ate the elk( which was delicious). He came over to thank me and let me know I didn't have to do that, since they all hunt and fish so much. I told him that I am pretty good at running down ammo in my travels. Since I had received close to $200 worth of meat and seafood, 500rds of .22lr seemed the least I could do. Asked him if he needed anything else, and ended up replacing his missing 10/22 magazine for him.
More like being neighborly than alternative commerce.

If you're talking a brick of primers, where the going rate on pinto's is about .72/lb... that's over 135lbs of pinto beans per brick. Just sayin..... you could probably be bartering for venison or elk steaks for that kinda "currency". ;)
I was thinking about a sleeve or two, Walmart has 8lb bags for $5.98.

I would highly recommend being on the food side of this type of trade. If we have a financial SHTF event, food will be king in most trades.

I have posted a couple of trade ads and have had no success yet. I am on the firearm related side of these trades.

My feeling is that even in good times food is undervalued relative to firearm related stuff.
The $30 box of ammo retails for somewhere between $10 and $15 a box. The beans go for less than $10 total for the 7 lbs. Both of these products are readily available right now.

Imagine in a SHTF event where you have no money and shelves are bare, what the value of food might be? 99+% of firearm owners will have enough ammo to use in self defense situations but may not be as prepared in the food storage area. You and your family don't have to fire your pistol/rifle all week long but you do have to eat on a regular basis.

About the only scenerio where I would want to be on the ammo side of the trade would be if economy was great, food supplies were plenty and goverment was going to ban or heavily tax/restrict ammo sales. That is not the SHTF that I feel is most likely to occur.

Last Edited:
I would highly recommend being on the food side of this type of trade. If we have a financial SHTF event, food will be king in most trades.

I have posted a couple of trade ads and have had no success yet. I am on the firearm related side of these trades.

My feeling is that even in good times food is undervalued relative to firearm related stuff.
The $30 box of ammo retails for somewhere between $10 and $15 a box. The beans go for less than $10 total for the 7 lbs. Both of these products are readily available right now.

Imagine in a SHTF event where you have no money and shelves are bare, what the value of food might be? 99+% of firearm owners will have enough ammo to use in self defense situations but may not be as prepared in the food storage area. You and your family don't have to fire your pistol/rifle all week long but you do have to eat on a regular basis.

About the only scenerio where I would want to be on the ammo side of the trade would be if economy was great, food supplies were plenty and goverment was going to ban or heavily tax/restrict ammo sales. That is not the SHTF that I feel is most likely to occur.
Personal experience

Low price items sell quickly if shipping is available. Sales/ trades requiring ftf meet up to facilitate have a minimum value threshold. I don't move very far for anything under $200 , and honestly I see myself moving that number up very soon. It's safe to assume others have their own unspoken guidelines.

I do trade/barter regularly. I trade ammo for brass, primers and bullets that I can use in my business. I have traded ammo for a fishing trip for my brother in law as a retirement gift for him. IMHO the key is the the trade goods are something needed or wanted by both parties. This is where the "value" of the trade is determined. It helps if the trade goods are more difficult to acquire thru normal channels.

4AD1C3FF-C0C8-4EBD-83F7-B9EBD0D64116.jpeg

I am thinking about putting up a classified ad to trade some of my primers for pinto beans. The pinto beans are readily available but the stores don't take primers for payment. I could sell the primers for cash and then buy the beans but I am interested in practicing the bartering aspect of the exchange. Has anybody else been doing this type of bartering/trading recently?
Haven't done any of this type of trading, likely won't be either. Interesting concept to be thinking of doing such though.

Reasons we aren't? Need & time.

We have no need, and the time spent wouldn't be worthwhile. For us. "Today".

That said, the practicality aspect of doing such/similar type of trading (high value hard to finds trading for low value easy to finds) is understood.

Currently, as in "today", we will simply be holding high value hard to finds. In this case example, primers, & using them to make ammunition as I want. The reason I stocked up on reloading components for us.

Buying low value easy to finds with cash (as needs be). Again, currently no "needs". Subject to change. As in all things...

Not proper " bartering " steps, but yes. A neighbor brought over some elk , a few limits if razor clams, and some crab last year. I ran a brick of 22s over after we ate the elk( which was delicious). He came over to thank me and let me know I didn't have to do that, since they all hunt and fish so much. I told him that I am pretty good at running down ammo in my travels. Since I had received close to $200 worth of meat and seafood, 500rds of .22lr seemed the least I could do. Asked him if he needed anything else, and ended up replacing his missing 10/22 magazine for him.
More like being neighborly than alternative commerce.
Sounds like a great neighbor.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top