JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Watch the videos of the recent attack on Mr. Kyle Rittenhouse. Open carrying an AR15 did not deter them. They believe they can call your bluff and you will not use it. They learned that lesson the hard way.
I dunno, the guy in that incident who was shot in the arm was 5 feet away from Rittenhouse and had a glock in his hand pointing upwards as he backed away. I don't think he would have done that if the AR was not visible. But IMO the arm-shot guy was not doing a cowardly stealth attack like the Portland attacker, so a different scenario.

It's looking like war. Between Kenosha and Portland both sides are packing heat. What do you expect? Manufacturers have shipped jobs off to the enemy. COVID has stopped / closed almost everything fun ie... bars, libraries, churches, music venues.
My buddy told me to get a vest months ago. I think he's right, oh, I mean correct.

My personal view is if u plan on going to the riots or being part of a counter protest or whatever then by all means go for it.

The only reason I would go there would be if one of my kids were really really stupid and decided to take part and I decided to retrieve them.

Otherwise I would stay as far away as I can.

My two scenarios are:

1) Things continue to degrade and spread to places where I need to go to get food/supplies/medical care. In that case, I would probably wear a concealment setup.

2) If SHTF to the point where I am carrying a rifle and pistol around my property, in which case I would wear a tactical plate carrier.

I am thinking that at least for my daughter I would want to get the lightest most comfortable soft armor I could afford. Like a gun, if it is heavy and hot or otherwise uncomfortable then she probably would not wear it when she would need it - ditto with it slowing her down and/or limiting the distance she could travel on foot.

So probably a light weight (under 5 pounds) soft concealment setup - has the added advantage of not letting people know you are wearing armor, which would invite not only other interest (does this person have a gun?) but also may motivate attackers to shoot you in the head/etc. - also lets you wear the armor in situations where you wouldn't wear a tactical carrier.

In a SHTF situation at home/etc., it could be upgraded with hard plates.

Disadvantage: most concealment setups are level IIIa - only protecting against standard pistol calibers but then that is the most likely a person is to be shot with in a non tactical situation.
If you are getting one for a female, getting a structured female vest is much more comfortable and concealable for them. Savvy is one of the best, but many other companies make good vests. You are correct, pistols are the most likely threat you will encounter. Realistically getting someone to wear rifle armor can be difficult.

I dunno, the guy in that incident who was shot in the arm was 5 feet away from Rittenhouse and had a glock in his hand pointing upwards as he backed away. I don't think he would have done that if the AR was not visible. But IMO the arm-shot guy was not doing a cowardly stealth attack like the Portland attacker, so a different scenario.
Hard to say. These rioters are going after both armed and unarmed people alike. I agree that many of them are cowards, but when people get in large groups they get a false sense of security and get pretty gutsy.

The rioters are irrational - it is hard to predict what they will do when confronted with an armed person.

Personally, I would prefer to have my firearms remain concealed (at least partially) in most situations until such time as I need them - but then I wouldn't go anywhere near a riot/protest unless I absolutely had to - which IMO would be highly unlikely. I think in most cases it would be stupid to go to the riots in the first place.

My personal view is if u plan on going to the riots or being part of a counter protest or whatever then by all means go for it.

But if for normal life, will u be wearing the garment almost all the time? If it is in any way uncomfortable most people wouldn't wear it I think for normal everyday.

I'm not going to any riots ever -- on purpose at least. But I do work in my downtown area in a town where there is no ideological difference between here and Portland -- it's just smaller and so we haven't had riots yet. There have been a couple noisy protests go down the street I work on though so the chance I end up in such a situation is not zero.

As for comfort, I've been debating whether I should get the level IIA or IIIA. I know some will say to get a tank but realistically, the IIA is almost half the weight and rated up to .45 acp. The IIIA to .44 mag, but none of it will stop a rifle round. I suspect if I end up caught in a riot and someone is shooting at me, it'll be with a 9mm, .40, .380, or .22 ... or a rifle. So I'm sort of leaning toward the more comfortable option.

Before the killings in the riots, I went to see. They surround a building, they bubblegum off and hang out. These are different from when they would march thru the streets, like when Trump was elected. They congregate and this sheep program could be over IF WE HAD LEADERS THAT WOULD LEAD.

I've had plates for years because I live in a relatively bad part of PDX, I can, I like the option of having them, and they're great to work out in. I live a few miles away from the protests, so I haven't felt the need to gear up for my grocery runs or commute yet.

Just like with hollow point ammo. IIRC.....in some places.....the wearing of body armor/*bulletproof kevlar, etc.....is a crime. So.....check on that too before making a big investment.

Don't you just love it.....when certain/particular political parties.....are looking out for you. But then.....the Govt always knows.....what's best for you. Rrrrrright.......:eek:
i-m-from-the-government-i-m-here-to-help.png

*YES, I know that the use of the word "bulletproof" is not technically correct.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Best to stay far away. Unfortunately, that's not always possible. Wife drove into a protest and got dead ended accidentally. If the protest is held at point A and they decide to march to point B 4 miles away, unless you have a police scanner or are lucky you'll be SOL and parked there to watch the show. However, 95-99% of the time it's really a peaceful thing, we only see the few times violence breaks out and think that's the norm. It isn't.

I'm not going to any riots ever -- on purpose at least. But I do work in my downtown area in a town where there is no ideological difference between here and Portland -- it's just smaller and so we haven't had riots yet. There have been a couple noisy protests go down the street I work on though so the chance I end up in such a situation is not zero.

As for comfort, I've been debating whether I should get the level IIA or IIIA. I know some will say to get a tank but realistically, the IIA is almost half the weight and rated up to .45 acp. The IIIA to .44 mag, but none of it will stop a rifle round. I suspect if I end up caught in a riot and someone is shooting at me, it'll be with a 9mm, .40, .380, or .22 ... or a rifle. So I'm sort of leaning toward the more comfortable option.
With many of the new soft armor the difference in weight and thickness is fairly minimal between II and IIIA. Don't get a IIA, many companies have stopped offering them and with the higher velocity rounds being produced I wouldn't take the chance. Stiffness is mainly a product of what materials it is made from. For example dyneema is very light and can make a thin panel, but tends to be stiffer than twaron or kevlar. In terms of heat, the thickness is irrelevant as no matter the level, the panels don't breath. Basically the more coverage, the hotter you get. Like everything its basically a comprise. Coverage vs mobility vs comfort. Hope this helps. I have worn armor for 20 years and have done lots of testing. By the way, don't buy anything from wish.com or bulletsafe. Free field training did some quite revealing tests on bulletsafe.

Just like with hollow point ammo. IIRC.....in some places.....the wearing of body armor/*bulletproof kevlar, etc.....is a crime. So.....check on that too before making a big investment.

Don't you just love it.....when certain/particular political parties.....are looking out for you. But then.....the Govt always knows.....what's best for you. Rrrrrright.......:eek:
View attachment 743020

*YES, I know that the use of the word "bulletproof" is not technically correct.

Aloha, Mark
Can you please elaborate. As far as I have been able to see, body armor is legal in all states. Connecticut you must purchase in person and if you are wearing it in the commission of a crime it can be an additional charge or if you have had a felony conviction, but I know of no state that it is illegal.

Isn't there some company that is making a lightweight Kevlar scale vest? I remember seeing a video on it recently but can't remember the name. They were pushing the scales as a new technology. Maybe ceramic scales? Can't remember

Can you please elaborate. As far as I have been able to see, body armor is legal in all states. Connecticut you must purchase in person and if you are wearing it in the commission of a crime it can be an additional charge or if you have had a felony conviction, but I know of no state that it is illegal.

I believe in some (many?) states/locales, it is an "add-on" felony if you wear body armor while committing a felony.

Isn't there some company that is making a lightweight Kevlar scale vest? I remember seeing a video on it recently but can't remember the name. They were pushing the scales as a new technology.
Stealth Armor and Safe Life Defense make a flexible ceramic panel. It is a bunch of hexagon shaped tiles affixed to each other. Much lighter than dragon skin as the tiles don't overlap. Excellent system. Quite light and superb rifle coverage. I believe Stealth Armor will do custom panel shapes if needed also. The owner of Stealth Armor is the original patent owner of the hexar design. At approximately 16lbs it is crazy light for the amount of rifle coverage it gives you. I would love to have that coverage for only 16lbs. Most vests you will be at that weight with your soft armor and only 10x12 plates.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads