JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
looks like I'll be trying my hand at muzzleloading—drew a tag in Oregon.
Now I have to go buy another gun :p
What is legal in Oregon for hunting, in terms of action (in line, percussion, etc) and powders?

I'm a little confused as to how you've drawn an Oregon Muzzleloader tag given the application deadline is 15 May and the draw doesn't happen until mid June. Maybe a guided hunt with a guaranteed tag?

In any event, get a copy of the 2019 regs online and read carefully. Page 18 covers Muzzleloader rules, caliber restrictions, etc.. Page 87 has the definition of "open ignition".

In a nutshell, traditional sidelocks (flint or percussion) or open ignition inlines (read the definition pg 87) are allowed. No scopes, no centerfire primers, no sabots or bullets with plastic, no pelletized powder, no revolving actions. This is not an all inclusive list.

Read carefully as its pretty restrictive.

I'm a little confused as to how you've drawn an Oregon Muzzleloader tag given the application deadline is 15 May and the draw doesn't happen until mid June. Maybe a guided hunt with a guaranteed tag?

In any event, get a copy of the 2019 regs online and read carefully. Page 18 covers Muzzleloader rules, caliber restrictions, etc.. Page 87 has the definition of "open ignition".

In a nutshell, traditional sidelocks (flint or percussion) or open ignition inlines (read the definition pg 87) are allowed. No scopes, no centerfire primers, no sabots or bullets with plastic, no pelletized powder, no revolving actions. This is not an all inclusive list.

Read carefully as its pretty restrictive.

Guided hunt, plus 15 pts—I don't have tag in hand, obviously but the guide said with that many points it's a slam dunk.

So basically a Hawken or the like? Any recommendations on caliber?

So basically a Hawken or the like? Any recommendations on caliber?

Any traditional side lock will be legal. There are a few Oregon legal inlines but you need to be careful as to what you buy. What are you hunting? You need to make minimums for the species (.40 for deer, .50 for elk). PRB or conical? If roundball you can't go wrong with a .54. First thing to do is read the regs. Next thing is ask the guide for his recommendations. Third thing is get to the range and start learning the rifle and how to make it go bang reliably. They're not plug and play. Operator ability will have as much influence on success as the equipment.

Another vote for a .54 caliber rifle...
I have taken grouse , deer , bear and elk with my .54 caliber Hawken Rifle copy.
And as noted above...find a load the rifle likes and practice , then more practice....
Best of luck with your hunt.
Andy
Hawken.jpg

...So basically a Hawken or the like? Any recommendations on caliber?This will be listed in the Reg. Basically a Maximum isn't listed but a Minimum will.
Whatever you decide on; get it out to the Range and put lots of BP down range. You still have to do your part.

well, I reckon .54 is the way to go based on my two days of googling this whole subject.
Dumber question: conical bullets or ball?

I'm in a bit of a pinch in that I'm having a custom Ruger No 1 in 7mm STW showing up soon that needs load development but also need to figure out the whole black powder thing. Ugh. First world problems.

Another vote for a .54 caliber rifle...
I have taken grouse , deer , bear and elk with my .54 caliber Hawken Rifle copy.
And as noted above...find a load the rifle likes and practice , then more practice....
Best of luck with your hunt.
Andy
View attachment 577285

Don't know why, maybe watching Jeremiah Johnson for the umpteenth time, but a Hawken just looks sexy to me.

Try a T/C Hawken in .54 or a Lyman Great Plains in .54 also.The Lyman is more pc if thats your thing but both are very reliable.If you decide on using round ball the Lyman would be a better twist for that and you just might hooked and start shooting them at Roundies. Check out Hickok 45 on youtube ,he shoots and reviews a Lyman.

well, I reckon .54 is the way to go based on my two days of googling this whole subject.
Dumber question: conical bullets or ball?

Roundball is a lot easier on your shoulder and your wallet. Makes practicing a lot more palatable. Still kills just fine. Make sure you get a rifle with an appropriate twist and groove depth.

It's a pity you're way up there in WA, but a few hours drive on a nice day will get you down I5 to Springfield, and Joe and Suzi's store - The Gun Works - about five minutes drive off the main highway.

If they can't sort you out I'd be amazed.

I was schooled by a clerk in The Gun Works on round ball.
His thing was that 100 yrds in the round ball made from "dead" lead will expand in an elk to form a projectile that is the diameter size of a quarter.
Good stuff and accurate.

Folks have been keeping themselves fed with roundball for hundreds of years...it isn't like Daniel Boone or Kit Carson starved to death.

A roundball , just like any other projectile , needs to hit the right place , in order to work.
So before someone re-tells the oft repeated story of the hunters of Lewis and Clark and the grizzly bear that took 8 shots including a head shot to kill....
I like to say that:

We have no idea just where those other 7 shots landed...a bad hit is a bad hit , no matter if with roundball or with the latest in high tech rifle bullets...
We also have no idea of the load used at that specific time , by those hunters...a bad load is a bad load...
no matter what powder , caliber , projectile or rifle is used.

For the record I have nothing against using a concial ...a rifled musket , like a copy of a 2 band Enfield or Remington "Zouave" rifle makes a fine hunting rifle...As well as a T/C "Hawken" or other rifle of that type.

Any of the critters that I have taken with .54 rifle and roundball have never complained to me , that they wished they were shot with something else..
Andy

Round My Ruger fast twist will shoot round balls very precise.
Twist of 1in 62" or 1 in 32" will shoot round ball, just make sure it is dead lead;
I.e. pure lead so it obturates into the riflings.

Edit: round balls can be tackdriving accurate.

Third thing is get to the range and start learning the rifle and how to make it go bang reliably. They're not plug and play. Operator ability will have as much influence on success as the equipment.
Ditto this. You need to get out and shoot a LOT and familiarize yourself with all the aspects of muzzle loading.
Working up loads with a muzzleloader takes time and practice to ensure you have a load that is consistently accurate and adequately powerful for the animal you are hunting.
I am partial the the Great Plains conicals for hunting but this is because both of my rifles (Euroarms .58 Zouave and .54 T/C Renegade) both shoot them incredibly accurately.

Remember the ML hunt in Oregon happens in a wet time of year! So most guys find some way to cover the muzzle with something lightweight to keep the rain out of the bore. I have friends who tell me they use everything from corners off of lunch baggies with a rubber band, to condoms over the muzzle. As long as it's light enough to easily blow off at ignition, but still keep the bore dry.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews