JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Ruger with a musket cap and 777 is definitely satin with conical or round ball but I have a soft spot for barrels with 1in 72".
I also prefer the 54 cal it just carries the big load. Unless my 62 cal underhammer is involved in the discussion then it wins!

Round My Ruger fast twist will shoot round balls very precise.
Twist of 1in 62" or 1 in 32" will shoot round ball, just make sure it is dead lead;
I.e. pure lead so it obturates into the riflings.

Edit: round balls can be tackdriving accurate.

It's the patch that takes the rifling with a round ball, not the ball. A R.E.A.L. bullet takes the rifling.

I agree with everyone who says: "practice, practice, practice". I have a Great Plains Hunter, percussion, in .54 and
I love it. I spoke with Joe's son at the Gunworks and as an aside I said that: "I'd put over 350 balls through my .54
in about 3 1/2 months..." He said: "Really? That's a lot" (I guess that's why there's always extra nipples & a wrench
in my range bag). Even with my tired eyes , after a fouling shot on a fresh barrel, I can put 3 balls almost touching
on the bull at 30 yards. I will say that it took me about 2 1/2+ months of experimentation with balls, patches, lubes,
caps, ramrod pressure etc, to develop that load. The practice also helps with reload speed; because I've wired the sequence
in my brain I can reload quickly in our informal matches & I finish 15-20 minutes before everyone else & can sit in an
easy chair and shoot the breeze while they all work...

While visiting New York someone asked a native how to get to Carnegie Hall and the native said: "Practice, practice, practice!"
and walked off.

Blessings,
LongBeard

Remember the ML hunt in Oregon happens in a wet time of year! So most guys find some way to cover the muzzle with something lightweight to keep the rain out of the bore. I have friends who tell me they use everything from corners off of lunch baggies with a rubber band, to condoms over the muzzle. As long as it's light enough to easily blow off at ignition, but still keep the bore dry.
Look down the page at the Possibles Shop. They call it a Flint Cover but we typically call it a Cows Knee:

Blessings,
LongBeard

I hunt with one of these. But I'm a Old School guy!
albrecht0a.jpg

Look down the page at the Possibles Shop. They call it a Flint Cover but we typically call it a Cows Knee:

Blessings,
LongBeard

I was referring to covering the muzzle as I mentioned in my reply. What you're referencing is to cover the lock and frizzen area, not the muzzle.

I keep tellin gpeople to not trust the internet, ALWAYS got to the source! Like Roundball said, got get the regs and red them for yourself. Saves a lot of time and explaining to the judge about some internet post that claimed....

Regarding water from rain down the bore...

I have never found that to be a problem....'Course my Hawken doesn't have a sling , so I can't shoulder it and have the muzzle up facing the rain....
Nor does water get in the bore when I carry it , across my arm , when walking....
So for me at least , it ain't a issue and I have been hunting with my Hawken since 1997 , in both wet and dry weather.
Andy

Regarding water from rain down the bore...

I have never found that to be a problem....'Course my Hawken doesn't have a sling , so I can't shoulder it and have the muzzle up facing the rain....
Nor does water get in the bore when I carry it , across my arm , when walking....
So for me at least , it ain't a issue and I have been hunting with my Hawken since 1997 , in both wet and dry weather.
Andy

Probably depends on whether you're using a PRB that will provide a seal or a conical that will let water seep by.

Probably depends on whether you're using a PRB that will provide a seal or a conical that will let water seep by.

Regarding water in the bore part 2
Never had any issue with this...either with round ball or conical

Lube in my case , bear grease or deer tallow , round the conical in the grooves as well as the tight fit ..seems to do the trick.
A patched ball....with bear grease or deer tallow works as well....
Bore Butter as noted above will do the same
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews