JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm a little confused as to how you've drawn an Oregon Muzzleloader tag given the application deadline is 15 May and the draw doesn't happen until mid June. Maybe a guided hunt with a guaranteed tag?

In any event, get a copy of the 2019 regs online and read carefully. Page 18 covers Muzzleloader rules, caliber restrictions, etc.. Page 87 has the definition of "open ignition".

In a nutshell, traditional sidelocks (flint or percussion) or open ignition inlines (read the definition pg 87) are allowed. No scopes, no centerfire primers, no sabots or bullets with plastic, no pelletized powder, no revolving actions. This is not an all inclusive list.

Read carefully as its pretty restrictive.
It's been quite a while since I hunted with black powder (or anything for that matter) but damn, restrictions sure seem to be piling on! I used to deer hunt with my Rugar Old Army using conical bullets and max powder. It did the job nicely and always good to have a backup shot if needed! By using a handgun you would assume I put myself at a slight handicap but it never seemed so to me.

I used to store a cheap old cap and ball replica pistol (made in Italy) in my parents old cabin so I'd always have something to shoot when relaxing there. This was kind of a backup site for me besides camping there several times a year. Over the years I got busy with life and was out of town due to job requirements for 4 years. The cabin fell into disrepair as a tree fell across the roof sometime during that period. I had stored that old pistol in a small space behind the chiminey and it always was dry. I "buttered" the cylinderwith Crisco plus when storing for longer periodsI dripped candle wax over the percussion caps. So I go out there something after 4 years and discover what has happened to the cabin and start cleanup/repair. That old BP pistol was pretty rusty to say the least! I removed the cylinder and applied a mix of 4% vinegar and salt for a short time to derust everything. I then washed it in hot water and soap, rinsed it and blowdried everything with a hair dryer. Before doing anything to the cylinder I decided to try clearing the chambers by trying to shoot them. All 6 loads shot off like as if just loaded! I then gave the cylinder the same treatment as the rest of gun then heated all parts most of the afternoon in a open oven at about 175 degrees. I then treated everything to some old blueing solution I had and it came out OK..... just OK. Amatuer I know but for that cheap a gun it was good enough. I still occasionally shoot it once in a while. Whole point of this whole posting: sealing up your BP gun if done right can last a long time! If it was absolutely something I had to depend on it firing I would never trust that solution so long but this is one example of sealing BP guns!

Last Edited:
I used to store a cheap old cap and ball replica pistol (made in Italy) in my parents old cabin so I'd always have something to shoot when relaxing there. This was kind of a backup site for me besides camping there several times a year. Over the years I got busy with life and was out of town due to job requirements for 4 years. The cabin fell into disrepair as a tree fell across the roof sometime during that period. I had stored that old pistol in a small space behind the chiminey and it always was dry. I "buttered" the cylinderwith Crisco plus when storing for longer periodsI dripped candle wax over the percussion caps. So I go out there something after 4 years and discover what has happened to the cabin and start cleanup/repair. That old BP pistol was pretty rusty to say the least! I removed the cylinder and applied a mix of 4% vinegar and salt for a short time to derust everything. I then washed it in hot water and soap, rinsed it and blowdried everything with a hair dryer. Before doing anything to the cylinder I decided to try clearing the chambers by trying to shoot them. All 6 loads shot off like as if just loaded! I then gave the cylinder the same treatment as the rest of gun then heated all parts most of the afternoon in a open oven at about 175 degrees. I then treated everything to some old blueing solution I had and it came out OK..... just OK. Amatuer I know but for that cheap a gun it was good enough. I still occasionally shoot it once in a while. Whole point of this whole posting: sealing up your BP gun if done right can last a long time! If it was absolutely something I had to depend on it firing I would never trust that solution so long but this is one example of sealing BP guns!
:s0122:

MyCheapBP-PistolFromItaly.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top