JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ive often wondered if back in the day the 25-06 was the "creedmore" of its day around campfire caliber debates. I remember when the 6.5 Creedmore came out in all its rage and thought pffft... its not really doing anything better than the 25-06.
I would guess the .270 was more the Creedmore, it's a one of a kind bullet caliber or at least was until the 6.8 Creedmor came out. there were a couple other quarter bores like the 257 roberts and 250-3000 Savage back in the day.

I would guess the .270 was more the Creedmore, it's a one of a kind bullet caliber or at least was until the 6.8 Creedmor came out. there were a couple other quarter bores like the 257 roberts and 250-3000 Savage back in the day.
I admit i don't know the timeline history of all the different cartridge release years. I only know the 25-06 became standard finally in 69... relatively modern compared to the 30-06, 270 and others.
I can also see how the 270 might have been viewed as a wildcard too, its sort of in between the big and heavy and light and fast ideas.

Just curious in general, how do Tikkas compare to Sako bolt action rifles?
Tikka is made my Sako. Excellent barrels and very smooth actions.

My main big game rifle is a Tikka T3x Ultralight .30-06 with a Manners carbon fiber stock and Trijicon 3-9x40. Absolute laser beam and a dream to lug around in the field.

They are a great value, even with current inflated prices.

I do not own a Tikka but willl be looking into them. I have three Sako's and like them a great deal. All pre Garcia models. A 375 H&H in a L61R, a 7mm Rem Mag in a L61R and an early A3 in 338 WM. The part that bothers me with the Tikka is that you have to make all these changes to make a decent rifle. If I buy a new rifle I want it to come ready to go other than mounting a good scope.

So the Tikka is good to go straight out of the box with no modifications needed. Just add glass and sight in.
Yes sir, good to go right out of the box. Slap rings and a scope on and hit the range. While I have no love for the factory plastic stock, it doesn't impact performance. The guns just shoot right out of the box.

25-06 time line:
.270 time line:

In social my uncle Bill would drive his Riviera down a dirt road to the same spot every year, park, get out his folding chair, thermos and rifle, sit down have a hot cup of coffee and wait less than an hour. By that time all the stylish hunters would have would have spooked all the deer out of the woods and he would have his pick. Some years it was a literal stampede. He was heading home by 8 arm. He shot them at well less than 100 yards, with a .243.
On the other hand, when I lived in norcal in the early 80's the first day of hunting season most of the deer were on the city golf course, and you couldn't shoot them in the city limits. It was freakin hilarious.
The point is deer (like fish) will be found where you find them, with no rhyme or reason (mostly) as to why they are where they are (apparently there are reasons but it will require a scouting mission or two to figure it out).

At 68 years old I now get all of my meat at the supermarket, it is cheaper. If things got really bad in a shtf situation I would have to resort to hunting "slow elk", or " long pork" both are equally stupid.

@NobullSKS --
Whose gun is this going to be?....
If you want to encourage your wife in hunting and shooting in general.... If its her hobby she needs to be in charge of it....
My spousal unit didn't know how to drive, camp or shoot when we first hooked up. Turned out to be a natch backpacker, dead shot and the second quickest pilot I know. While camping one time with my 3 boys when they were little, I was teaching them how to shoot at tin cans. My youngest asked if mom knew how to shoot. She jumped the can 10 times, should've seen the look on their faces. Before that episode, we baptized my first born one Easter and had a ton of friends and relatives out at our place in the country for the festivities. One of my Portagee aunties was on the back porch, my wife asked her if she would like a glass of wine when my aunt said "Oh look there's a gopher", my honey bunny stepped back in the party room, grabbed the 10/22 from under the bar, slipped in a mag, stepped back out, cycled a round and kilt that gopher with one shot, then sicked the Aussie dogs on its carcass, cleared the chamber removed the mag while telling my aunt "I hate those critters, they get into my flowers, was that red or white wine?"
Sorry to thread jack.

Just don't do a Bubba Conversion.

OK, Ok, ok....it's your rifle and your money. So, whatever.

In all truth.....
I have two converted/sporterized Mauser '98s in .30-06. I bought them both that way. And YES, it pains me to see them that way. But, that's me.

View attachment 1738386

BTW....back then, they were just like me. CHEAP.

Maybe, you'll be able to find an ex-military/rescue rifle for hunting?

Aloha, Mark
I've had/have some very nicely butchered milsurps, an Arisaka in.30-06 Boyd stock, Smith Corona 03-A3 French walnut Monty furniture (looks like a G&H it's so well done), 1917 Eddystone, & a couple .303 Brits. They were all Inexpensive. Cheap can be good, even if heart rendering. PAX

Last Edited:
So the Tikka is good to go straight out of the box with no modifications needed. Just add glass and sight in.
The stainless version is nearly the perfect rifle for the northwest. Light for those long hikes and no cares about scratching the stock, rubbing brush on the metal or water rusting the bluing.

The Tikka is the Glock of the bolt action world. All other rifles for hunting get judged by how they compare to the Tikka. Like the Glock, it works extremely well for a decent price and is very simple. And also like the Glock, any upgrades bring very little to no improvement to how it already performs.

For those that think N Idaho deer are only taken at long range... a quote from a hunter from Texas that visited the area:

Today I shot my first deer, 70 yards roughly, 30-06 150 grain Remington core lokt.

(This afternoon)
My dad and I considered moving to a different area, we were not sure if we spooked all the deer in the area due to me missing.

But we decided to go to the same area, and save the other areas for tomorrow.

I went back to my spot, read my book for about 10 minutes, and this one moved out of the woods into the clear, spread her ears out and gave me a broadside shot. Went in the shoulder and out of the neck. It didn't run, it dropped right where it stood.
Sometimes at longer distances, but not always. Could be more the rule IDK. Here in the Blue Mountains and Wallowa deer cover is anything from reprod at 2' to canyon breaks at 500yds. Depends on where ya go. She should ask her friends what kind of cover is where they are going to go.

Most all of my deer have been taken at 100yds or less, with .243.

A rifle cartridge for deer only:

1. .243
2. 257 Roberts (but ammo may be harder to find)
3. 6mm Rem ( " )

Maybe going for larger game later on:

1. 7mm-08
2. 308
3. 30-06

I not familiar enough with 6.5 Queermore to know what category it might fit.

7mm Rem Mag... I owned one for elk.... recoil was very sharp! More of a snap than a push. Not fun to shoot at the range, whereas I can shoot the ones listed above box after box. She should definitely shoot one before deciding to buy one.

IMO a 223 is not a great deer/elk cartridge. Save it for the mother in law.

Yes sir, I've got 2 Tikka T3's (one in 270 SS with laminate grey stock and another in 6.5 Swede SS with plastic stock) and have done zero modifications to either of them. They shoot extremely well out of the box and have one of the nicest, smoothest bolt action movements you will feel. Pretty much Sako made, but with less "spit & polish". Very attractively priced too. There's a reason you don't see them resold very often. It's my gun brand of referral to friends or anyone who asks. Now as recommended for caliber selection, I'm in the camp of anything .243 up to recoil tolerance level. And to help with that I recommend this thing:

Nice discussion. I'll toss in some thoughts

Rifle itself - I'd go Savage or Ruger American for the budget price point. Both are very accurate. I own rifles in both lines and there are things where one is a bit better than the other, but both are fine working man's meat getters. Avoid that Mossberg. Their budget rifles have a serious reputation for inaccuracy.

Most important thing is that it feels good to her, fits her well, and has her blessing. Some of the Savages have the Accufit stock that lets you adjust pull and cheek height, so keep that in mind.

The rifles I suggest above have floating bolt heads. That's part of what makes them accurate and inexpensive, but it can also make them feel rough. I've used this method and it works surprisingly well.

Cartridge - depends a lot on the terrain. Here are some versatile cartridges that work well from close in to as far away as is ethical to take that shot:
  • 7mm-08 - as useful as the 308 up close, but has a flatter trajectory and more energy beyond a couple hundred yards.
  • 6.5 Credmore/260 Remington/6.5x55 - almost identical in performance. They get the job done with no muss of fuss.
  • 25-06/270/280 - if you expect longer shots or might want to use the rifle later for other game in open areas.
Optic - I'm a huge fan of 2-7 scopes for their compact size and light weight. Unless she thinks she needs more it'[s where I would start. The 3-9 is classic for a reason. Used is just fine to save some bux. It's going hunting, so it likely won't be purdy when it comes home.

Let her know we all wish her a great time and good luck!

For those that think N Idaho deer are only taken at long range... a quote from a hunter from Texas that visited the area:

Sometimes at longer distances, but not always. Could be more the rule IDK. Here in the Blue Mountains and Wallowa deer cover is anything from reprod at 2' to canyon breaks at 500yds. Depends on where ya go. She should ask her friends what kind of cover is where they are going to go.

Most all of my deer have been taken at 100yds or less, with .243.

A rifle cartridge for deer only:

1. .243
2. 257 Roberts (but ammo may be harder to find)
3. 6mm Rem ( " )

Maybe going for larger game later on:

1. 7mm-08
2. 308
3. 30-06

I not familiar enough with 6.5 Queermore to know what category it might fit.

7mm Rem Mag... I owned one for elk.... recoil was very sharp! More of a snap than a push. Not fun to shoot at the range, whereas I can shoot the ones listed above box after box. She should definitely shoot one before deciding to buy one.

IMO a 223 is not a great deer/elk cartridge. Save it for the mother in law.
Thank you…. Maybe I should clarify my post so I don't look like a complete dufuss the AR"10"we'd consider using is .308 but I think my wife is past that. You're right.243… sounds sufficientl in the deer hunt. She's still looking around. 7mm Rem is starting to sound uncomfortable to shoot.

I agree with your opinion on 6.5 stuff. I tend to stay away from the hype for long periods. It took many many years before I started wearing Crocks and shooting.300 BLKOUT. 6.5 is way out still. I think I'm attracted to the PRC offerings and looks like they're working on 7mmPRC now.

Nice discussion. I'll toss in some thoughts

Rifle itself - I'd go Savage or Ruger American for the budget price point. Both are very accurate. I own rifles in both lines and there are things where one is a bit better than the other, but both are fine working man's meat getters. Avoid that Mossberg. Their budget rifles have a serious reputation for inaccuracy.

Most important thing is that it feels good to her, fits her well, and has her blessing. Some of the Savages have the Accufit stock that lets you adjust pull and cheek height, so keep that in mind.

The rifles I suggest above have floating bolt heads. That's part of what makes them accurate and inexpensive, but it can also make them feel rough. I've used this method and it works surprisingly well.

Cartridge - depends a lot on the terrain. Here are some versatile cartridges that work well from close in to as far away as is ethical to take that shot:
  • 7mm-08 - as useful as the 308 up close, but has a flatter trajectory and more energy beyond a couple hundred yards.
  • 6.5 Credmore/260 Remington/6.5x55 - almost identical in performance. They get the job done with no muss of fuss.
  • 25-06/270/280 - if you expect longer shots or might want to use the rifle later for other game in open areas.
Optic - I'm a huge fan of 2-7 scopes for their compact size and light weight. Unless she thinks she needs more it'[s where I would start. The 3-9 is classic for a reason. Used is just fine to save some bux. It's going hunting, so it likely won't be purdy when it comes home.

Let her know we all wish her a great time and good luck!
Thank you very much for your insight, we appreciate you. Mossberg may have been the first on the search engine, and she had the 500….. I think she'll pull away from the Mossberg. Ruger has a name she's familiar with….. everyone right?

We were looking at those Americans for a bench bolt in .300 BLKOUT because we were impressed by a buddy who had a Rem 700 in .300 that was tits on at 200 yards with bulk RE manufactured. Maybe he got lucky or just knew how to build a 700.

Yes… a good discussion…
Thank you again

It's getting on in the year, when does she leave?
My buddy, friends and son live int e Panhandle, near Couer d'Alene and it's often heavily wooded all the way to Canada. My bud and his son usually limit out the first day before breakfast, but he's lived and hunted that neck of the wood for 50 years. The elk hunt doesn't take that much longer. He built a hunting cabin that's above a known elk migration zone (a saddle between 2 ridges) that has no public access. Moose is a different deal; I believe once in a lifetime kill. About 8 years ago his 2 grandson both drew Moose lottery in the same area, each got a Bull, one was 1200# the other was 1800#. They jerked out the whole thing. PAX

It's getting on in the year, when does she leave?
My buddy, friends and son live int e Panhandle, near Couer d'Alene and it's often heavily wooded all the way to Canada. My bud and his son usually limit out the first day before breakfast, but he's lived and hunted that neck of the wood for 50 years. The elk hunt doesn't take that much longer. He built a hunting cabin that's above a known elk migration zone (a saddle between 2 ridges) that has no public access. Moose is a different deal; I believe once in a lifetime kill. About 8 years ago his 2 grandson both drew Moose lottery in the same area, each got a Bull, one was 1200# the other was 1800#. They jerked out the whole thing. PAX
This is next year planning. My father in-law just got back without getting anything. He looked exhausted… liked medicated exhausted. Probably HAD to have a Little JACK before we came over. Usually his hunting stories are epic, you know…. Best kills known to man…!

Wonder who here has the most epic…?? And real…!

Epic....Hmmmm...not really but funny nevertheless.

So there I was field dressing the last elk I got.
When along comes a game warden.
We get to talkin'...he checks my tag....then asks to see my rifle.
( It was muzzle loading season )
No problem says I....
Then I show him the rifle that I was using :
That is a original J.Henry Flintlock Trade Rifle..circa 1800 - 1820.
.58 caliber.
The look on his face was priceless.... :D
The hide was made into the jacket I am wearing below.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads