JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Howdy….
Never hunted and been invited next year for deer In Idaho.
I'm a bench rest range cowboy hitting paper. I shoot often and working my way down the hand loaded ammo rabbit hole.

My wife though, is the one invited hunting and doesn't shoot as often. I don't have a lot of advice when she's asking about 6.5 PRC or 7mm rem mag bolt guns. It would be a budget hunter….. looking more like Mossberg budget.

Though I do have a .308 AR10 that's getting better and better groups at 100 yards 150 grn interlocks

The only thing I know is that rifle is probably heavier than a polymer bolt gun. The benefit now is we already have the AR10 with a scope and proven reliable and accurate enough. Figured deer are within a 100-200yrds anyway.

These PRCs are popular but looks like Rem mag 7mm has been standing its ground. If she buys a new rifle then I have a new cartridge to play with. But the .308 should be effective enough?

EDIT….. we have access to 30-06 Rem mod760

Help…thoughts… perspective?
I am a big fan of 30-06 in the PNW perfect for all the game in PNW and it's ole reliable. You can get ammo almost anywhere for it and the rifles are plentiful and relatively cheap through however much you want to spend. 308 will get the job done but depending on the hunt i would highly consider something you can pack and hike with as an ar-10 is rather heavy. Just my two cents! Good luck on your hunt.

I am a big fan of 30-06 in the PNW perfect for all the game in PNW and it's ole reliable. You can get ammo almost anywhere for it and the rifles are plentiful and relatively cheap through however much you want to spend. 308 will get the job done but depending on the hunt i would highly consider something you can pack and hike with as an ar-10 is rather heavy. Just my two cents! Good luck on your hunt.
Thank you very much.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top