JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am still enjoying eating this stinky rutted up bugger!

IMG_4215.jpeg

I've hunted mule deer most of my time, however I'm switching it up to start hunting the coastal range.

Also open to people with LOP or have private land and except a tresspass fee to hunt, if you know anyone PM me.
As much as I hate it, depending on the area you are hunting it might be a good idea to plop down the $125 for a Weyerhaeuser permit. It will open up a lot of land for you. That's about the only tresspass fee that will be worth it as most private landowners don't own enough land in the coast range to make it worth your time and money. Otherwise, start researching what timber companies own what land and what their access policy is. If nothing else, there is a lot state land that is accessible, but some it can get pretty crowded by the citiots looking to play redneck for a day. Not to discourage you, but for your sake I hope you have already started scouting. The coast range is a far different game than most mule deer country

Didn't say it was impossible, you have to earn it… that meaning, you have to put in the work of scouting, get tuned into the particular environment you're stalking, etc. making mistakes while hunting blackies will cost you.
My dad was a big fan of walking down into a hole and sitting there for hours.

Thought y'all might get a kick out of this little pint-sized blacktail. Literally standing on my front porch all lonesome. Took pic about 10 minutes ago, and sorry for the bad image quality but taken with cell phone through window so wouldn't scare it off. Poor little thing is all wet and shivering. Was tempted to throw some morsels out as feed, but know that's the wrong thing to do. Cute when they're young. Can't wait to shoot daddy come season.
1705618925963.png

I have hunted out towards Mist and Birkenfeld for blacktail. I have hunted alot in the rain and damp to the point where wearing rain gear doesnt buy you much. Might as well go sit in a mud puddle, slid down embankments due to losing footing and other antics. Its a tough hunt but a lot of good memories. This is where a wood stocked rifle is a detriment. I have seen what I thought was a deer only to take a second look and see that it was gone, Walked out through slash piles after dark, which is an experience onto itself. I would still hunt out there if the lumber companies had not locked it down.

Shut up and sit still.

I've pretty much treestand hunted for the last several years. (wanna try your patience?) I've also found that I see them before I ever hear them, unless they are really moving.
I've had a couple come from behind me and walk right under my stand. I never heard a sound. I let a nice spike (Webbed antler that didn't fork) walk last October. Silent, they can be.
2022 was the best so far.

2022 euro.jpg

Yep...Movement and Noise are not two hunting partners you want....:D
Andy
"Back in the old days" we would have a couple of guys on the stand and three or four guys driving deer out of the brush. We killed a lot of bucks that way too. My hunting party is too small to make drives these days as the older guys died off (natural causes - not due to deer drives :p ) and weren't replaced since most in the younger generations weren't interested in hunting. I can still visualize this one old buck that was lying in a fern patch when my uncle almost stepped on him before he got up. The buck blew out right from under his feet, cut back behind the other drivers, almost running over my dad in the process. Here's this monster buck with ferns stuck in his horns so that you couldn't even count points, passes my dad at near clubbing distance, and he never even got a shot off even though it would have been safe to shoot because the buck was behind everybody. He blamed the thumbhole stock on his rifle - much better for distance shooting than fast handling. Ah good times. Surely do miss those guys. :(

"Back in the old days" we would have a couple of guys on the stand and three or four guys driving deer out of the brush. We killed a lot of bucks that way too. My hunting party is too small to make drives these days as the older guys died off (natural causes - not due to deer drives :p ) and weren't replaced since most in the younger generations weren't interested in hunting. I can still visualize this one old buck that was lying in a fern patch when my uncle almost stepped on him before he got up. The buck blew out right from under his feet, cut back behind the other drivers, almost running over my dad in the process. Here's this monster buck with ferns stuck in his horns so that you couldn't even count points, passes my dad at near clubbing distance, and he never even got a shot off even though it would have been safe to shoot because the buck was behind everybody. He blamed the thumbhole stock on his rifle - much better for distance shooting than fast handling. Ah good times. Surely do miss those guys. :(
YES! I remember people doing that!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads