JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Best of luck to ya! Blacktail can be a tricky nut to crack. I haven't hunted the coast much I mainly stick to farm ground and cascade foot hills. I've been pretty fortunate to harvest some nice bucks over the years, it's just alot of work. I've done my best closest to rut on nasty rainy windy days.

20211003_201131.jpg Couple nice blacktail

Jim Shockey (renowned hunter) has said blackies are the most challenging and difficult animal in the world to hunt. They are the ninjas of the forest. I've bagged three in my nearly 60 year lifetime, and believe me when I say…. Each one made me earn it!

I grew up hunting mule deer and also switched to blacktail and all I can say is good luck.
Share with us what you learn and how you do...

Getting out and actually hunting....away from people and the roads will be helpful too.
Scouting...knowing the area where you are hunting and habits of the deer in the area would be wise as well.
Having the time to do all this makes it difficult to hunt , as much as the deer itself.
Andy

Both. State land and private timber companies. Find brushy spots no one else dares to go. Here's a good picture of premium blacktail habitat. I never scout, don't need to the critters are habitual an live in the same areas.

View attachment 1464544
Private land is much easier.
But good tip on the brushy habitat. Do you glass all day waiting to spot movement?

Exactly. Can't eat the antlers and fuel is too expensive to pass up on the first good mature buck.
You are 100% correct! I'm definitely not a horn hunter, with 4 kids and 1 on the way it's all about the meat. But every once in a while buck almighty steps out in front of you! I think they call that a blind squirl finding a nut every now and again....

For shooting mature blacktail I like locating good doe density and hunting around the rut, waiting for one of the nocturnal bruisers to slip up. Trail cams are a great tool for blacktail!

These days I mostly hunt blacktail out of tree stands placed with intel gathered from game cams. It is an exercise in patience I am not sure I could have mustered when I was younger. I have killed quite a few still hunting with a bow as a younger man, but none were really big mature bucks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top