JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy….
Never hunted and been invited next year for deer In Idaho.
I'm a bench rest range cowboy hitting paper. I shoot often and working my way down the hand loaded ammo rabbit hole.

My wife though, is the one invited hunting and doesn't shoot as often. I don't have a lot of advice when she's asking about 6.5 PRC or 7mm rem mag bolt guns. It would be a budget hunter….. looking more like Mossberg budget.

Though I do have a .308 AR10 that's getting better and better groups at 100 yards 150 grn interlocks

The only thing I know is that rifle is probably heavier than a polymer bolt gun. The benefit now is we already have the AR10 with a scope and proven reliable and accurate enough. Figured deer are within a 100-200yrds anyway.

These PRCs are popular but looks like Rem mag 7mm has been standing its ground. If she buys a new rifle then I have a new cartridge to play with. But the .308 should be effective enough?

EDIT….. we have access to 30-06 Rem mod760

Help…thoughts… perspective?

Last Edited:
Ask the people who invited her what they recommend.
However be aware a 30-30 just isn't going to cut it. The deer in Idaho are much harder to kill than just a few generations ago, between their new fitness regimes and that many are now wearing body armor... :s0062:

.308 will be fine for deer.

With that said...
I'd use a rifle that I carry and shoot well.
Deer hunting ain't nothing like shooting at a range.
Lots of walking...usually in the rain or bad weather....and no benches either out in the field.
Learn to shoot well when you are :
Tired..
Cold..
Wet ..
Hungry...
After being out all day...
In poor light...
Not under the perfect static range conditions...
Off hand...kneeling...prone...
Andy

For you or your wife?
If youre on a budget and want new, look for sales on Weatherby Vanguards, Howa 1500's, Savage 10 or 110's (lots of different models).
If it's for her, I'd look at 243, 6 CM, 6.5 Needmore, 6.5 PRC, 260 Rem -- but those calibers are basically limited to deer.
If you and her, I'd expand it to 270 Win, 30-06, 7mm-08, 308, 7WSM, 30WSM. I'd stay away from the belted magnums for now.

A few years back, I had a few shoulder surgery's to repair the damage a drunk driver had done to mine. The only long lasting issue is I can no longer take the big kicking rifles I had been shooting.
I went to shooting a 6.5 x55 Mauser. and a 30-30. Nothing really changed with my hunting, except I needed to get closer. I am still just as successful a hunter. The 6.5 Mauser is Ballistically the same as a 6.5 CM. And they are easy on the shoulder.
I have a Axis in 223 that far exceeded my wildest dreams in how well it shoots. its ugly as sin itself, but it makes up for that with how well it shoots.
If you and your wife are not used to hunting, I doubt the gun will make much difference in the outcome.
Knowing where to be, being able to sit still, and undetected, will have the biggest effect on success. A borrowed reliable gun with a fairly low power scope will not lower your success rate! Good Luck DR

If you're into shooting sports and ramping up your reloading, I'd get a hunting rifle in a like cartridge. Get a 308 Win, if you already have dies for it. Alternatively, get a hunting rifle and dies in a cartridge you may want to use for your other sports.

I agree with comments above that you should get a (lighter) hunting rifle rather than lug around a target gun.

Deer aren't hard to kill inside of 200 yards with a quality bullet. Lots of milder recoiling cartridges in the .24 - .30 caliber range.

I would just use the REM 760. No need to buy something when you have something that works just fine.

The AR platform was annoying to use for hunting. It is not a sleak for sneaking through brush and the adjustable stock and external control make to much noise if you bump them while stalking. A AR 10 is even bulkier than the AR 15 we have hunted with.

You can get a Ruger American Rifle in .308 or 30-06 for a reasonable price, they shoot well for the first 3-5 rounds before the thinner barrel heats up and shot-groups open up a little, but it you shoot more than once (maybe twice) while hunting, you're doing it wrong.

Light,
Durable
Accurate (enough)

I shot one deer with one shot with this .308 RAR….

IMG_0360.jpeg

If it's your first time I would say use what you have. You may find it's not your cup of tea and investing in a new rifle doesn't seem warranted unless it's something you plan to regularly participate in. There is also the familiarity factor. It takes time to become proficient with a new firearm.

Your .308 is an ideal caliber for deer and an easy shooter for the fairer sex. If you have access to a 30-06... that would do nicely too... so long as you select an appropriate load. Definitely on the "more gun than you need" side, but with an appropriate cartridge for your intended target, it's a fine choice. The load diversity with a 30-06 is one of it's strong suits.

As mentioned.... hunt craft is where you want to devote your attention so using a familiar firearm can cut down on the "fiddle factor" and let you concentrate more on what's important.

An AR10 isn't "ideal", but there are things you can do to reduce the inherit noise and other issues. IE., adding moleskin (or similar) to the tube to eliminate rattle, a rubber plug to tighten up the lower/upper play, etc. Do you need as much scope as you currently have mounted(?) Tuning it up for hunting purposes might help mitigate some of the weight and noise issues... without going to great expense.

I don't know what type of camp setup or duration they do, but having taken out a fair share of new hunters, it's typically the "other stuff" they have issue with over what firearm they are packing. IE., The cold, the wet, using new unfamiliar muscles, daily "camp chores" and inconveniences, etc.

What's the old saying? "Try before you buy." 👍

*Personally, it sounds like you're covered in the rifle department for a first time out and would be more concerned about investing and breaking in some decent boots. ;)

Last Edited:
An AR-10 would suck-way too heavy, way too noisy. Can it be done? Yeah, but you would never do it again if you hike more than a mile one way in Idaho. Caliber isn't very important really. Like @BigGame said, anything .24 to .30 is gold, (regardless of gender :rolleyes:).

Not really a hunter, I mostly walk in the woods carrying a rifle. So many options with regards to an excuse for another gun purchase. Not knowing what your cost objective, action type, or caliber for the weapon of preference may be, I can only throw out what I've utilized. My personal go to deer rifle is a '52 Savage 99F .308, my first-time youth or petit feme fatale loner rig is another Savage, a 325 .30-30, pointy boolits are quite lethal and accurate out of it. But I have a plethora of other bolt guns, Rem 710 .270, RAR X39, Smith Corona sport job .30-06, Ishapore 2A1 in ATI furniture .308, even an Enfield sporter .303. All could get the job done if you do your part and all were economical to acquire. When I get a chance to hunt in Idaho it's going to be the 710 in .270, has decent glass and groups great. If it were me, I'd get a C&R in the caliber of choice, but I'm a C&R/milsurp junkie. Wish her luck and happy hunting. Don't forget to layer up. PAX

I doubt the gun will make much difference in the outcome.

No need to buy something when you have something that works just fine.

Your rifle doesn't matter.

investing in a new rifle doesn't seem warranted
I thought I knew you guys. Who are you people??? :eek::eek::eek:

So many options with regards to an excuse for another gun purchase.
Ahhhhhhh... there it is. That's more like it. :s0152::s0152::s0152:

If you're into shooting sports and ramping up your reloading, I'd get a hunting rifle in a like cartridge. Get a 308 Win, if you already have dies for it. Alternatively, get a hunting rifle and dies in a cartridge you may want to use for your other sports.

I agree with comments above that you should get a (lighter) hunting rifle rather than lug around a target gun.

Deer aren't hard to kill inside of 200 yards with a quality bullet. Lots of milder recoiling cartridges in the .24 - .30 caliber range.
My buddies in the wide open parts of Idaho are always saying 200 yards is considered close. o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top