JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had a Leatherman Wave for almost 10 years. I take it fishing, hunting, and usually keep it in my glove box. I used it quite a bit for six years in the Navy and it hasn't given me any trouble. I did manage to bend one of the screwdriver bits trying to loosen a tight deckplate screw, but that's my fault. I had the handle at a 90 degree angle to get some extra torque, and the bit twisted. It's not the only tool I've had, but it has been the best.

I've had a Leatherman Wave for almost 10 years. I take it fishing, hunting, and usually keep it in my glove box. I used it quite a bit for six years in the Navy and it hasn't given me any trouble. I did manage to bend one of the screwdriver bits trying to loosen a tight deckplate screw, but that's my fault. I had the handle at a 90 degree angle to get some extra torque, and the bit twisted. It's not the only tool I've had, but it has been the best.

+1

I used to like the Gerber Multi-pliers better than the Leatherman. I've never owned one, but I have used them some. I used to like them better than the original leatherman because of the sharp edges on the original Leatherman handle when using the pliers. The new Leathermans don't have that problem.

When I was in the Navy I used to leave my Leatherman in my locker on the ship. I used to have about four of the $5 Cabelas brand mini tools stashed in different places. I used to keep a pair in my truck, a pair in my hunting pack, a pair in my fishing vest, and a pair in my apartment. They're not great tools, but they are good. And they seem to be better than the other cheap tools I've tried. I've never broken one, but I've never put them through any hard use either. I still keep them stashed away in different places, and whenever I need to add a couple bucks to get a discount on a Cabelas order, that's usually what I get.

This is going to sound repetitive but - Leatherman Wave. Have had a few, and that one is bullet proof but beyond that, it has just the right feel, angle, and collection of tools to do about anything you need.

I carried it for four years as a professional ski patroller. It stayed on my belt in the weather all day long, five days a week, in wet snow, and was used constantly on all kinds of projects down to -30F at times. Never failed, never slipped, never rusted (and by the way, "stainless" steel is that - it stains (rusts) less - it is not "rust proof"). It is high-quality stainless steel.

Gerbers are good, but Leatherman and especially the Wave have the edge. Plus they are from Oregon so how can you argue with that?

I used to carry a Leatherman Supertool on my belt. Had it for 10+ years. I decided to try a Gerber. I wanted something with a spring assisted plier. Well, the pliers are great, but I'm not such a big fan of the tool overall. Blades are much shorter, screwdrivers aren't as useful. I've already found a new home for the old Leatherman, so for now I am carrying the Gerber. It does have a useful set of bits I bought for it, so it isn't all bad. I'll be buying a new Leatherman, though. I see they've updated the Supertool, might give it a go.

Seeing that I've broken two sets of jaws on the pliers of Gerber multipliers, I'll go with the Leatherman Wave here. I use a multitool just about every day at work so they get lots of use from me. I don't know if I was too hard on them or used them incorrectly but I gave up on Gerber after sending them in for warranty work twice for the same problem. Bought a Wave two years ago and so far so good.

I believe that Gerber and Leatherman are both fine products. But, at the store I worked at, I have seen more Gerbers returned with problems than I have Leatherman, so my vote goes to Leatherman. I own 3 Leathermans, 0 Gerbers.

I use gerber and have one in every car and pack, I like leatherman but had a problem with a return for repair. gerber has never let me down and stands behind there product even when broke by miss use. just my 2 cents

A previous post mentioned that Leatherman is made in Oregon. Well, although Gerber does sell a lot of products made in China, their better products are also made in Oregon! Both companies are in Portland. I still prefer Leatherman.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top