JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been thinking about what should be included in a minimalist SHTF tool kit with the idea that the basics need to be covered with something in between a Leathman Tool, and access to a comprehensive tool collection stored in a rolling chest. This does not include things like shovels, axes, knives, camp saws, and defensive tools, but rather a focus on basic general purpose and mechanics tools.

In this discussion, I want to operate under two assumptions: there is very limited access to spare parts for vehicles and mechanical equipment, and the kit needs to be easily portable. This kit should fit into one small to medium tool bag with the possible exception of a few longer tools such as bolt cutters.

Looking forward to the suggestions!

I suppose you'd want a couple of each; crescent wrench, channel locks, pliers, vice grips, box wrenches, socket sets in metric and sae, screwdrivers of various size and tip, allen wrenches, hammer, pry bar.. and that's just for the automotive type stuff you'd be doing.

lt831024_nylon_updatedx1000_2048x.jpg

I have a small tool kit packed in my prime rig, it's all metric, so it's unique to that rig only! Combo wrenches, socket set with ratchets extensions, and wobblies, #2 screw drivers, small picks and screw drivers, pliers, all sixteenths wrenches, water pump pliers, hose pick, and tons of zip ties and flash lights/head lights and extra batteries!. Gasket maker/RTV sealants, epoxy, and putty, extra belts, and other common parts! It all fits a small bag and is easy enough to work with!

-Cordless angle grinder w/cutoff wheels & grinder disc.
-Zip ties
-Saftey wire
-Leatherman
-Leather gloves and eye protection
-Bic lighters
-Road flares for the road, but usually for starting fires in the wet PNW

Don't bother packing a 10mm wrench or socket. The wrench will magically disappear and the socket will roll off somewhere on its own.

My kit, besides the usual tools tape and bailing wire stuff has two part epoxy which comes in a 1" tube about 6 or 8 inches long, it is in a putty form, I've used it for many plumbing fixes around the farm with great, and permanent success.
Twice it has gotten me out of big trouble on the road. The first time, I was in a jeep Cherokee chief which had a skid plate, but still had some tank showing here and there. I drove across an arm thick dry curved limb on a logging road many miles from anywhere when it was slammed up hitting the exposed part of my gas tank, a broke off bough stub on it poked a neat 1/4" hole in the tank. Lucky I stopped to see if there was damage, saw my precious fuel running out fast. I scrambled for a stick and whittled a plug to temporarily stop it. I cut an inch plug from the epoxy putty, kneaded it together to mix it, yanked the stick out and shoved it in the hole then covered with some ductape. That putty had been in my rig tool box for six years! It held so well I never replaced the tank, it never had a drip.
Another time I went hunting with another, towing his trailer house, nearly to our destination, when one of the struts of his awning ripped loose with the whole unit hanging, swinging, and twenty miles of very rough road to the nearest pavement. fortunate we were three mines from our intended camp. We tied up the awning best we could to get to the camp but it would not do for the 350 miles back home. Turns out the wood it had been screwed in to had some water damage / rot, new longer screws would not hold, so I reamed out the screw holes worked up the last of my putty (now 8 years old) and forced it in to the holes with enough slop to help glue the plate on too, then replaced the strut with the original screws. The next day we could hang on the strut and found it to be solid. Later we arrived home without further incident.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top