JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a small tool kit packed in my prime rig, it's all metric, so it's unique to that rig only! Combo wrenches, socket set with ratchets extensions, and wobblies, #2 screw drivers, small picks and screw drivers, pliers, all sixteenths wrenches, water pump pliers, hose pick, and tons of zip ties and flash lights/head lights and extra batteries!. Gasket maker/RTV sealants, epoxy, and putty, extra belts, and other common parts! It all fits a small bag and is easy enough to work with!
Wait, you drive a #3???

Whatever you have, include a 4 way sillcock key. I keep one in every vehicle. It might not fix anything, but could keep you alive if potable water is scarce.

Crescent wrench, channel locks, vice grips, 6 in one screwdriver, hammer, leatherman, roll of duct tape and some bailing wire and you are set.

My kit, besides the usual tools tape and bailing wire stuff has two part epoxy which comes in a 1" tube about 6 or 8 inches long, it is in a putty form, I've used it for many plumbing fixes around the farm with great, and permanent success.
Twice it has gotten me out of big trouble on the road. The first time, I was in a jeep Cherokee chief which had a skid plate, but still had some tank showing here and there. I drove across an arm thick dry curved limb on a logging road many miles from anywhere when it was slammed up hitting the exposed part of my gas tank, a broke off bough stub on it poked a neat 1/4" hole in the tank. Lucky I stopped to see if there was damage, saw my precious fuel running out fast. I scrambled for a stick and whittled a plug to temporarily stop it. I cut an inch plug from the epoxy putty, kneaded it together to mix it, yanked the stick out and shoved it in the hole then covered with some ductape. That putty had been in my rig tool box for six years! It held so well I never replaced the tank, it never had a drip.
Another time I went hunting with another, towing his trailer house, nearly to our destination, when one of the struts of his awning ripped loose with the whole unit hanging, swinging, and twenty miles of very rough road to the nearest pavement. fortunate we were three mines from our intended camp. We tied up the awning best we could to get to the camp but it would not do for the 350 miles back home. Turns out the wood it had been screwed in to had some water damage / rot, new longer screws would not hold, so I reamed out the screw holes worked up the last of my putty (now 8 years old) and forced it in to the holes with enough slop to help glue the plate on too, then replaced the strut with the original screws. The next day we could hang on the strut and found it to be solid. Later we arrived home without further incident.
I also keep 2-part epoxy on-hand, but typically the 5-minute liquid type. A $5 tube can be used to fix many, many things that would otherwise cost hundreds to replace!

I also think this is a great application for a universal socket, and that wire strippers and a crimp tool with an assortment of crimp terminals could prove invaluable.

Last Edited:
I'd include at least a medium breaker bar if carrying sockets, along with a cold chisel. Also a swivel ratchet based on how annoying things are put together many times.

One of those screwdriver kits that comes in a little plastic box that has a handle and multiple interchangeable heads of all the different types and sizes as well as nut driving heads. I've got one that's about 4x5x1/2. That's if saving space and weight is a concern.

Full tang field knife, roll of 6mil visqueen, duct tape, limestone, latex gloves, eyes'n ears.

It really depends on what and how much you want to be able to accomplish balanced by availalble space, weight and portability considerations. YMMV

I once tried hiring skilled repair plumbers based on their tool kit.
The first one I hired had a complete set of hand tools and about every specialty tool I had ever seen.
On a personal recommendation of someone I knew I hired another that when he showed up all his tools fit in a small hand carried box.
The second plumber was fast, efficient,and clean in his work.
The take away is its not the tools but what you can do with them. DR

You're going to want duct tape, bailing wire, JB Weld and a lighter for sure then.
Get lockwire instead of bailing wire its certified its stainless it will probably last longer comes in MANY different sizes and alloys. Its good stuff! (Unless you specifically don't want any thing shiny)
I have a 500yrd spool of 80lb spectra fishing line in my BOB. Forest green so I have something for each trapping and fixing depending on the situation.

Knipex wrench pliers. They aren't cheap but once you use a pair you won't ever go back to crescent wrenches. They also double up as pliers in a lot of situations. Two pairs eliminates the needs for box end wrenches and similar in most situations which saves a lot of weight and space.

Bingo! This is 100% right here. I have a pair with serrated jaws. These are QUITE handy and amazing leverage.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews