JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't bother packing a 10mm wrench or socket. The wrench will magically disappear and the socket will roll off somewhere on its own.
Hey that's actually not a bad idea... To invest in! Once the world economy hits the pooper these will be worth a fortune!
Of course I'll probably be shot for being blamed for stealing ALL the 10mm's in the world. Lol. "Hey guys I found him! Get the tar ready!"

Get lockwire instead of bailing wire its certified its stainless it will probably last longer comes in MANY different sizes and alloys. Its good stuff! (Unless you specifically don't want any thing shiny)
I have about 200' of the last of a spool of 0.035 316 Stainless welding wire. I've used that stuff for the last 35 years.

Knipex wrench pliers.
I like mine so much I recommended to my son. He found an ICON brand just recently introduced at harbor freight for $40 (10") that where pretty much identical. I tried them and, yeah... pretty much. I wouldn't anticipate them to last as long, but HF's replacement policy (walk in, trade, walk out) is pretty convenient considering Knipex you have to contact C.S. and are on the hook for shipping to get them replaced or repaired.

YMMV, but just throwing it out there for those that use have mainly "light duty" tools and wanna save a chunk of change.

I know several people who have the knipex German stuff and its never failed. I'd take quality over convenience when it comes to this subject. But to each their own.
I agree, but I have bought tools from HF that are likely to receive only periodic home use, where "top of the line (aka rippin expensive)" tools are not required. I've never had any break on me to test HF's replacement policy so like I said, just putting it out there for the budget minded. $40 vs. $60ish is significant.

Obviously, if you know for sure the S will HTF and society as we know it comes to a screeching halt... the extra money and likely higher quality to last until the end of times will probably prove to be the better option.

I love my Knipex, but have to admit, I don't have much call around the house to be reefing on monster sized nuts/bolts very often.๐Ÿคฃ

Last Edited:
I just learned about the Knipex pliers/wrench. Bought one, totally love it. Buy once cry once. Although crazy enough, the Project Farm videos often have some brand I've never heard of outperforming some various Knipex.

Knipex makes excellent products. However, there are times you can do better and it pays to research. Kobalt and Irwin outperforming Knipex for a much cheaper price here as an example.

Naturally, I have 2 knipex needlenose 1000 volt pliers. Speaking of witch, if you can find classic Vice-Grip (now called Eagle Brand/Malco) made in USA vice grips, they do better than everything in the Project Farm tests. $5 at a garage sale if you can find them.

Last Edited:
I just learned about the Knipex pliers/wrench. Bought one, totally love it. Buy once cry once. Although crazy enough, the Project Farm videos often have some brand I've never heard of outperforming some various Knipex.
It's not as if every name brand tool has a monopoly on metalurgy or exclusive process. While on the cheap side of things it's more true that you get what you pay for. On the higher end, some stuff really is heads and shoulders above the rest, but it's less true that you get more simply because you paid more.

Many times your simply paying premium for perceived value and the name.

One of those screwdriver kits that comes in a little plastic box that has a handle and multiple interchangeable heads of all the different types and sizes as well as nut driving heads. I've got one that's about 4x5x1/2. That's if saving space and weight is a concern.
Toss in a regular medium slot-blade screwdriver too, or whatever size you find yourself prying on stuff with regularly.

Knipex wrench pliers. They aren't cheap but once you use a pair you won't ever go back to crescent wrenches. They also double up as pliers in a lot of situations. Two pairs eliminates the needs for box end wrenches and similar in most situations which saves a lot of weight and space.

Knipex makes excellent products. However, there are times you can do better and it pays to research. Kobalt and Irwin outperforming Knipex for a much cheaper price here as an example.

Naturally, I have 2 knipex needlenose 1000 volt pliers. Speaking of witch, if you can find classic Vice-Grip (now called Eagle Brand/Malco) made in USA vice grips, they do better than everything in the Project Farm tests. $5 at a garage sale if you can find them.
He's tested a few other Knipex products and they've always done well. I think I had a pair of pliers from them several years ago. They must have disappeared about the time my Snap-On stuff went missing. :(

The other reason I'll take wire over zip ties is wire can replace things like hose clamps etc, quite effectively in fact. Zip ties not so much. Wire is heat resistance can use it on anything and small holes and is very high tensile strength not zip ties.
Also works better for binding people too! When you REALLY don't want your salves to get away..
Plus you can also brand them with it (if you prefer free range slaves)

If you can go score yourself a length of diamond bandsaw blade. That will last much longer than a regular saw blade and will cut through basically anything..

Even IF you dont have a saw frame you can always make one with some wood and a little time/skill a old school frame saw's are great. Very minimal materials. And string or wire. All you really NEED is the blade. Get yourself a diamond blade and a regular meaty saw blade for wood and carcuses
The name of the game when SHTF will be discrete.. Avoid chopping or loud noises at all costs. Mean reason I want a EV right here. Something like a cybertruck really will be the optimal survival vehicle. Less maintenance etc.
I dont care how slowly it charges with solar..

In wouldn't want anything battery powered besides an EV or e bike etc. Just more weight, more noise, very limited use. Burns more calories than it saves...

I think I'd rather have a small multi meter over a power tool.

I dont care how slowly it charges with solar..
That's good. An Ebike might be doable but I wouldn't count on a commuter EV or ETruck.... without going into detail why not. Honestly though, charge time would be the very least of your issues going that route in a SHTF situation.

Remember that many difficult to source and complicated components are required for solar generation, power storage and utilization. Not to mention... in a long term SHTF situation, sourcing replacement battery packs and power banks likely isn't going to be an option.

You can't beat a good sturdy manual bicycle for dependable transportation and long term viability. ;)

in a long term SHTF situation, sourcing replacement battery packs and power banks likely isn't going to be an option.
Flat out won't be an option.. And yes a mnt. bike would be high on the list as well. Id be more inclined to build a wood gasifier generator and recharge it that way than with solar, but noisier. And that setup would take about half the capacity / room. Nothings ideal but better than nothing.
All fantasy anyway until they actually become common place (if we even make it that far)

but as far as the thread goes and a common every day toolkit an EV would be your best bet to minimize half of the kit. Then you just down to the real nitty gritty basics..

The other reason I'll take wire over zip ties is wire can replace things like hose clamps etc, quite effectively in fact. Zip ties not so much. Wire is heat resistance can use it on anything and small holes and is very high tensile strength not zip ties.
Safety wire and the right tools to use it is good, as is baling wire and even clothes hangers.

But you can (and I did), get SS zip ties.

Indeed, not all zip ties are 6/6 nylon. Some are metal and some or heat resistant material. Tefzel, which is hard to tell materially from nylon 6/6, rates to 300 F working temp, PEEK rates to 500 F, Stainless goes to 1000 F and likely would be a much better handcuff than nylon, a soft material which would be easier to get off should one not be watching the person with the cuff on.

I would focus on just the bare minimum, 1 big multi tool :p

5A9BDD79-B59C-426E-95DC-A19914332D59.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads