JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Smart wool, BlackOvis, Narrona, WoolX, beyond clothing all have outstanding wool clothing. Non hunting brands easier to find on great sale. Anyone can use active junky for cash back when shop online.

Any local shops carry Kuiu?

I know Sportsmans carries Sitka.

I'll have to go try some on.

This looks really nice, but I'd have to sleep in it too at that price!

Any local shops carry Kuiu?

I know Sportsmans carries Sitka.

I'll have to go try some on.

This looks really nice, but I'd have to sleep in it too at that price!

Kuiu don't have stores or distributors.
Down not really good option for PNW do to rain. Wet down wouldn't keep you warm, but synthetic will.

Poofy jackets usually have stitching that fails to block wind. IMO they are just another retro fashion statement.

@Hueco is giving you sage advise above. I have a winter kit and a summer kit. Muted colors - greens, tans, even gray. Look like a tree hugging backpacker/hiker not military. No red/orange/yellow/blue high vis stuff. Not a fan of black. Too hot in the summer and to a trained eye stands out in the dark. What makes you blend in during the day makes you blend in at night as well.

I like to carry a pistol in a pouch on my chest if I'm humping a pack. In any event if you can't quickly get to a firearm it's pretty useless when you need it.
I have the same opinion, I don't understand the puffy parka style jacket being used as a serious weather camping or hiking jacket. They don't last and really don't protect for the price.

I too like the chest easy reach pistol for hiking quick pull and point.

Ordered the Columbia Grand Trek poofy jacket. Been wearing it yes last couple of freezing mornings. Really warm for its weight. Have not been able to test it in the rain, since it's not been raining lately. Hoping to get it tested soon as they were on sale when I bought it. If it does well in the rain, I'll buy a second and put it in the car for emergencies.

Filson-Tin-Cloth-Story-2-1.jpg

Ordered the Columbia Grand Trek poofy jacket. Been wearing it yes last couple of freezing mornings. Really warm for its weight. Have not been able to test it in the rain, since it's not been raining lately. Hoping to get it tested soon as they were on sale when I bought it. If it does well in the rain, I'll buy a second and put it in the car for emergencies.
You ever need Columbia stuff, I'll drop you a pass to the Columbia store. They let vets in at any time and hand out passes to come back as well…so we're always sitting on one.

Never been to the adidas store but work just passed out a bunch to that.

Just a quick trip back to "poofy" coats and vests. Regardless of fill check to make sure it's box construction. It's more expensive because it's more material and labor, but allows the coat.comforter.sleeping bag to provide much better resistance to cold and water. Sewn through, which is by far the majority when you take a look always gets worse over time as the stitching holes will get bigger through use making them less and less effective.

While I like down in a comforter where it will always be out of the weather, I switched to synthetics like quallofill and polarguard a long time ago. While it's slightly heavier and not as compressible it stays warm even when wet. .

1644174539235.png

Just a quick trip back to "poofy" coats and vests. Regardless of fill check to make sure it's box construction. It's more expensive because it's more material and labor, but allows the coat.comforter.sleeping bag to provide much better resistance to cold and water. Sewn through, which is by far the majority when you take a look always gets worse over time as the stitching holes will get bigger through use making them less and less effective.

While I like down in a comforter where it will always be out of the weather, I switched to synthetics like quallofill and polarguard a long time ago. While it's slightly heavier and not as compressible it stays warm even when wet. .

View attachment 1125549
This one has a funky pattern. I'm fairly sure it is made like this to not have sewn seams, so as to be better waterproof.

1644177378235.jpeg

This one has a funky pattern. I'm fairly sure it is made like this to not have sewn seams, so as to be better waterproof.

View attachment 1125644
Can't really say from the picture - you really need to hold it in your hands unless the manufacturer provides additional information. I'd be cautious about thermal or adhesive bonding unless it has a good reputation that the manufacturer backs. Waterproof is frequently desirable but it should also be breathable. Honestly, even before I went to GoreTex many years ago I have a 60/40 down parks that was excellent, but wasn't exactly rain gear.

Anymore I go with layers (wool or synthetic) and then either something to break the wind or all out rain gear as my outer shell. I do have a goretex parks, but rarely use it even when I lived in snow country.

Can't really say from the picture - you really need to hold it in your hands unless the manufacturer provides additional information. I'd be cautious about thermal or adhesive bonding unless it has a good reputation that the manufacturer backs. Waterproof is frequently desirable but it should also be breathable. Honestly, even before I went to GoreTex many years ago I have a 60/40 down parks that was excellent, but wasn't exactly rain gear.

Anymore I go with layers (wool or synthetic) and then either something to break the wind or all out rain gear as my outer shell. I do have a goretex parks, but rarely use it even when I lived in snow country.
Feeling it, I'd say it is either thermal welded together in areas or glued. Hard to say. It is warranted, and it should be at the price! This morning it was 20ish out and I purposely wrote a short sleeve tee shirt to test it in the cold today. Kept me very warm and I didn't overheat, so I'm thinking it breathes rather nicely. I'm really looking forward to it doing well in the rain. That's the selling point really. We have just had very odd weather this last few weeks.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top