JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is the best outfit, if you had to pack one, for the PNW?

Does it look like this?
1641339925028.jpeg
What about those poofy jackets everywhere? Are they any good in the rain? Keep you warm yet breath?
1641339977639.jpeg
Or should it be more tacticool?
1641340074301.jpeg
Pants? Should they be waterproof? Who makes good breathable waterproof pants that don't scream tacticool? Or should they be tacticool? Zipper knees? Knee pads?

I want to invest in a good set up and put it in a vacuum sealed back in the car. I currently have something, but it's not the greatest.

Hope to hear your thoughts!

Reno

Depends. If you're going into Portland:

7893aa8aadd00065b8bfa36317ba9f1d.jpg

But really...If you're going to have 1 bag of clothes to handle year round conditions to get you through...let's say anything from a 1-3 day impromptu camping trip to a 1 day hike along the road because your car broke down...then we're talking weather from 20degree though 90, on average, with greater extremes in places and everything from hot sun to constant rain and snow.

So...your best friend is layers! You can always take clothes off to get cooler...but if your warmest jacket isn't cutting it, you're still going to be cold.

My cold weather setup looks like:
  • Boots
    • General purpose waterproof boots - pick what works and break them in good before storing for emergency use
    • If potentially crossing muck/creeks - add gators
    • If potentially crossing ice, add ice cleats / microspikes
  • Feet/Socks
    • Thinner synthetic for a base layer or only layer in warm
    • Thicker wool for overlayer in cold
  • Legs/Pants
    • Wool base layer
    • Wool/Poly/Cotton blend loose layer for mid. Yea, cotton sucks when wet but I really like it for a mid layer - which shouldn't be getting wet if you've layered right anyway. I often use cotton pajama pants for this layer.
    • Depending on temperature and conditions...
      • Jeans/durable outer layer
      • Goretex over layer if raining hard or wet conditions will soak my jeans before I get a chance to dry off
      • OR
      • Insulated and waterproof pants (think ski/snowboard/mountaineering).
  • Torso/Shirts
    • Wool base layer
    • Wool/Poly/Cotton loose shirt. Love me a long sleeve "Henley" cotton shirt.
    • I use an older model puffy - a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer fit small - like, pull it up to your waist to zip before stretching back down to your hips small. Super warm. Not breathable at all - like wearing a plastic bag stuffed with goose. Completely unnecessary unless you are fighting some serious cold, but you'll be happy you have it if you are! Down is worth jack if it gets wet, so keep it dry! As this is an inner layer, use real down and don't splurge for anything waterproof - it won't pack down as light.
  • Torso/Jackets
    • Depending on temperature, I've got a lightweight, synthetic insulated and waterproof coat that I'll use as a top layer (comes down to waist level)
    • A Goretex layer
    • A heavy insulated coat that goes down almost to my thighs
  • Head
    • None of my inner layer jackets have hoods - just the outer layers and goretex...so, Wool beanies all the way. I've got 2, one that fits tighter than the other so that they can be layered without discomfort
  • Hands
    • Lightweight gloves that allow me to function with a phone, camera, firearm.
    • Heavyweight gloves that would allow me to grab a baseball bat, but not much smaller. Layer them if stupid cold.
The heavy layering and I was able to enjoy a 17F, windy day on an Iceland glacier in December with no troubles at all. Stood outside talking with the guide about ice climbing for damn near 45 minutes and could have gone much longer.

So...if you wanted 1 pack to do it all, that will get you by easy. If you want to add in sleep, do a down bag and a bivy.

Questions directly addressed:
What is the best outfit, if you had to pack one, for the PNW?

Does it look like this?
View attachment 1101006
Only if there are layers under it and more layers in that pack. What he's wearing looks waterproof up top and not waterproof down low, non insulated...so, he's going to be cold and wet if it's winter and he has to stay out at night. If spring/summer/fall, he should be fine.

What about those poofy jackets everywhere? Are they any good in the rain? Keep you warm yet breath?
View attachment 1101007
I'm not a big fan of do-it-all layers, preferring the layering technique. A puffy like the one above would be fine, for me, down to maybe 35 or so. They didn't used to be waterproof but have been sold as such in recent years. I'm unconvinced that something with that much stitching will effectively work in a bad storm without springing a leak...and if it's down, you're effed if it gets wet...why risk it?

A down puffy will pack stupid small and light and makes for a great mid layer jacket.
Or should it be more tacticool?
View attachment 1101018
Function > Form. I'm not hunting or trying to evade - I'm hiking and if SHTF, needing to be found. I prefer non-tacticool bright colors.
Pants? Should they be waterproof? Who makes good breathable waterproof pants that don't scream tacticool? Or should they be tacticool? Zipper knees? Knee pads?
Yes and no. Layers my dude. I wear loose fitting pants to hike in Arizona during 120 degree days. IMO, there is no scenario in the world of land based outdoor activity where shorts beat pants. Have a looser layer. Have a waterproof layer. Stack them if needed.

ETA: here's why I like the ghost whisperer jackets:
Mine:
0F283182-D7BF-4CE9-BD60-E3110DE33C70.jpeg

Mine stuffed into its own pocket:
BACBCC83-4EBA-4618-8D38-36C6CE63222F.jpeg

I tried to get a pic of the weight and failed. It read 7.1oz:
5A36DDEA-55F2-4FDA-B03D-BD6FAB6DE593.jpeg

The Columbia employee store is about 1.5miles from your go to Sportsman's. They let vets and company in at any time, I'm case you want anything from there, let me know.

Last Edited:
Poofy jackets usually have stitching that fails to block wind. IMO they are just another retro fashion statement.

@Hueco is giving you sage advise above. I have a winter kit and a summer kit. Muted colors - greens, tans, even gray. Look like a tree hugging backpacker/hiker not military. No red/orange/yellow/blue high vis stuff. Not a fan of black. Too hot in the summer and to a trained eye stands out in the dark. What makes you blend in during the day makes you blend in at night as well.

I like to carry a pistol in a pouch on my chest if I'm humping a pack. In any event if you can't quickly get to a firearm it's pretty useless when you need it.

Moose Technique is the ONLY gear I would trust in a life or death setting, especially for long term survival, Sadly, you cannot get it in North America any longer, it's only sold in Argentina now! The only other that even comes close is Salewa, their boots are beyond anyone else's, and the rest of their line has few equals!
For Artic weight, Believe it or not, North Face still reigns supreme, but it's by special order/made to fit only, and your dealing with North Face, not exactly a 2nd friendly company!

I understand layers, I tend to do so during times like right now. However, my trips to places don't always mean I wear the right clothing for the weather outside. IE I know I'm not going to be hiking home and I do not expect to have to. So I'm not wearing layers to go grocery shopping. However, if I had to hoof it from 185th, it's going to be at least a half days walk home.

Good to know on the poofy jackets, I have an Adidas one that sucks in the rain, but it keeps me warm in the coldest days. It wasn't that expensive, so I was curious if the pricier ones are better at being wet.

I brought them up mostly because they are really light weight.

In contrast, I have a Carhartt Storm Defender that does very well in rain. At a cost of being heavy and bulky. It also gets too hot even if only in a tshirt. So it breathes worth bubblegum.

Both of these are in the $100-$150 range.

Is it worth going up?

Ive been looking at outdoors brands and they all hype they are the best. Prices $250 and up.

One example:

I'll definitely look more into pants. I only own two pair of waterproof pants. One is for snow, IE snowboarding days in NV, and the other a set of camo ones I kept after offloading all my hunting clothing.

If there is something that can be worn like jeans, yet waterproof, please let me know!

I have no experience with that particular jacket, but I have come to trust Columbia when they say their product is Waterproof. I have a basic mid-weight jacket from them I purchased 3-4 years ago that is only rated as "Water-resistant;" it has never soaked through even in some pretty heavy rain!

I also have a true rain jacket (marked as waterproof) from them that is going on 6 years old now and it is still 100% waterproof and has proven to be very durable.

Long story short; I wouldn't doubt the waterproofness of their jackets labeled as such!

I have no experience with that particular jacket, but I have come to trust Columbia when they say their product is Waterproof. I have a basic mid-weight jacket from them I purchased 3-4 years ago that is only rated as "Water-resistant;" it has never soaked through even in some pretty heavy rain!

I also have a true rain jacket (marked as waterproof) from them that is going on 6 years old now and it is still 100% waterproof and has proven to be very durable.

Long story short; I wouldn't doubt the waterproofness of their jackets labeled as such!
Good to know. My wife gets passes to their employee store, I'll have to actually look next time I go there. I usually just giggle at the price tags when I go there.

View attachment 1101067

But really...If you're going to have 1 bag of clothes to handle year round conditions to get you through...let's say anything from a 1-3 day impromptu camping trip to a 1 day hike along the road because your car broke down...then we're talking weather from 20degree though 90, on average, with greater extremes in places and everything from hot sun to constant rain and snow.

So...your best friend is layers! You can always take clothes off to get cooler...but if your warmest jacket isn't cutting it, you're still going to be cold.

• Boots
    • General purpose waterproof boots - pick what works and break them in good before storing for emergency use
  • Feet/Socks
  • Legs/Pants
    • Wool base layer
    • Wool/Poly/Cotton blend loose layer for mid. Yea, cotton sucks when wet but I really like it for a mid layer - which shouldn't be getting wet if you've layered right anyway. I often use cotton pajama pants for this layer.
      • Goretex over layer if raining hard or wet conditions will soak my jeans before I get a chance to dry off
      • OR
  • Torso/Shirts
    • Wool base layer
    • I use an older model puffy - a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer fit small - like, pull it up to your waist to zip before stretching back down to your hips small. Super warm. Not breathable at all - like wearing a plastic bag stuffed with goose. Completely unnecessary unless you are fighting some serious cold, but you'll be happy you have it if you are! Down is worth jack if it gets wet, so keep it dry! As this is an inner layer, use real down and don't splurge for anything waterproof - it won't pack down as light.
  • Torso/Jackets
    • Depending on temperature, I've got a lightweight, synthetic insulated and waterproof coat that I'll use as a top layer (comes down to waist level)
    • A Goretex layer
  • Head
    • None of my inner layer jackets have hoods - just the outer layers and goretex...so, Wool beanies all the way. I've got 2, one that fits tighter than the other so that they can be layered without discomfort
  • Hands
    • Heavyweight gloves that would allow me to grab a baseball bat, but not much smaller. Layer them if stupid cold.
The heavy layering and I was able to enjoy a 17F, windy day on an Iceland glacier in December with no troubles at all. Stood outside talking with the guide about ice climbing for damn near 45 minutes and could have gone much longer.

So...if you wanted 1 pack to do it all, that will get you by easy. If you want to add in sleep, do a down bag and a bivy.

Only if there are layers under it and more layers in that pack. What he's wearing looks waterproof up top and not waterproof down low, non insulated...so, he's going to be cold and wet if it's winter and he has to stay out at night. If spring/summer/fall, he should be fine.

I'm not a big fan of do-it-all layers, preferring the layering technique. A puffy like the one above would be fine, for me, down to maybe 35 or so. They didn't used to be waterproof but have been sold as such in recent years. I'm unconvinced that something with that much stitching will effectively work in a bad storm without springing a leak...and if it's down, you're effed if it gets wet...why risk it?

A down puffy will pack stupid small and light and makes for a great mid layer jacket.

Function > Form. I'm not hunting or trying to evade - I'm hiking and if SHTF, needing to be found. I prefer non-tacticool bright colors.

Yes and no. Layers my dude. I wear loose fitting pants to hike in Arizona during 120 degree days. IMO, there is no scenario in the world of land based outdoor activity where shorts beat pants. Have a looser layer. Have a waterproof layer. Stack them if needed.

Mine:
View attachment 1101124

View attachment 1101125

View attachment 1101126

The Columbia employee store is about 1.5miles from your go to Sportsman's. They let vets and company in at any time, I'm case you want anything from there, let me know.
Thanks for the write up.

I really like the idea of a waterproof poof.

I don't like your thoughts on layering pants! Good god, I'd be boiling!

You should've stopped RIGHT there! Adult diapers for hipsters……

View attachment 1101067

• Boots
  • Feet/Socks
  • Legs/Pants
    • Wool base layer
      • OR
  • Torso/Shirts
    • Wool base layer
  • Torso/Jackets
    • A Goretex layer
  • Head
  • Hands

Mine:
View attachment 1101124

View attachment 1101125

View attachment 1101126

Columbia states this is waterproof, anyone with experience?
It is similar to the synthetic insulated jacket I've got. Mine is waterproof in all but the front pockets. I don't quite get it, same material over the entire front of the jacket, but it is some 2nd layer that is actually the waterproof layer. So, the pockets soak through.

Go for feel. If there is a feeling difference between the covering of the pockets and covering of the chest, then you may get leaky pockets.
Thanks for the write up.

I really like the idea of a waterproof poof.

I don't like your thoughts on layering pants! Good god, I'd be boiling!
Lulz. I acclimated to the hot desert. Took me forever to get used to even Portland's idea of cold, let alone Northern Europe and Russia in winter. I'd be a popsicle without layering the legs. Say no to frost bitten toes! :D

Last Edited:
It is similar to the synthetic insulated jacket I've got. Mine is waterproof in all but the front pockets. I don't quite get it, same material over the entire front of the jacket, but it is some 2nd layer that is actually the waterproof layer. So, the pockets soak through.

Go for feel. If there is a feeling difference between the covering of the pockets and covering of the chest, then you may get leaky pockets.

Lulz. I acclimated to the hot desert. Took me forever to get used to even Portland's idea of cold, let alone Northern Europe and Russia in winter. I'd be a popsicle without layering the legs. So no to frost bitten toes! :D
Ya, I used to, back in high school days, attend the bathing suit day at Boreal. Needless to say, I can usually take cold.

Wet and cold, that's entirely different.

I don't like wet and cold.

How to tell someone isn't an Oregonian without saying someone isn't an Oregonian.... :p ;)

As for outfits... it depends really. There's a cult-like reverence for Gore-Tex and Columbia jackets and fabrics in the NW. But... there's a reason serious people wear vinyl or rubber on the seas... and it translates pretty well to the wet side of the Cascades with Frog Toggs and similar waterproof parkas and ponchos.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top